Windows 10: Setup SSD / HDD using - Changing the Storage Locations doesnt work

Discus and support Setup SSD / HDD using - Changing the Storage Locations doesnt work in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Just setting up windows 10 with a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD - got the Windows installed on the SSD and setup HDD as a D Drive for Data. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jase888, Jul 4, 2016.

1. jase888 Win User

Setup SSD / HDD using - Changing the Storage Locations doesnt work

Hi,

Just setting up windows 10 with a 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD - got the Windows installed on the SSD and setup HDD as a D Drive for Data.

I have gone to Settings > System > Storage and changed the default documents, music, pictures "Save Locations" to the D Drive (HDD) so it doesn't fill my SSD. The issue I have is when I go to Documents and save it still saves to the C Drive Documents folder instead.

1) If this setting doesn't change the location for documents, pictures folders whats the point of it?

2) I understand I can manually change the Documents, Pictures & Music location if I right click on them but will this have any effect on the system? As in does this need to be changed in the registry so everything in the system knows the Documents is now on the D Drive?

Thanks for help

:)

jase888, Jul 4, 2016
  2. M Dawg Win User

Win 10 Storage Locations - Create new folders first?

I have the following setup on a new PC: Windows 10 Home (64 bit), one internal 90 GB SSD (C:\ drive), and one internal 2TB HDD (D:\ drive). I also have a couple external HDDs, but they are not currently connected to the new machine.

I want to change the Storage "Save locations" from the smaller SSD (where everything is currently located), to the HDD (which is mostly empty, with no user folders or files) for 5 of the 6 folders listed under "This PC" (I'm leaving "Desktop" on the C:\
    drive).

My question is, should I manually create the new folders on the D:\ drive first ... i.e. - D:\Users\User1\Documents, and then select the D:\ drive when I go to "Settings - System - Storage - Save Locations", or should I not create the new folders manually?
    Also, in the folder properties under "This PC", should I manually select the new location after making the change in "Settings"? Thanks.

M Dawg, Jul 4, 2016
  3. Scanner on multifunction printer not recognized in Windows 10

DianeDalton - This worked great. At first I got an access denied error. I had to drill down into the settings and change destination from boot drive (SSD) to a storage location (HDD). I can scan again, thanks!

StevenInSD, Jul 4, 2016
Thema:

Setup SSD / HDD using - Changing the Storage Locations doesnt work

1. Setup SSD / HDD using - Changing the Storage Locations doesnt work - Similar Threads - Setup SSD HDD

2. Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use HDD Storage as GPU Storage: Hi! I am Noki! So i have a laptop that runs pretty fast, but i wanna play games like Fortnite, but even at 720p all Low, other than 100% 3D Res, it rund 10/15fps, IT'S AWFUL! But for example Genshin Impact 720p runs 45fps on Medium Graphics. So that's why i am confused. So is...
  3. Storage location changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage location changed: Hi, my C drive was almost full so as suggested in one of the questions here I just changed my "where new content is saved" from C to D drive. Does it mean all my "user" data is now moved to D drive or everything I save from now on will be saved in the new loc.And also what...
  4. Storage location changed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage location changed: Hi, my C drive was almost full so as suggested in one of the questions here I just changed my "where new content is saved" from C to D drive. Does it mean all my "user" data is now moved to D drive or everything I save from now on will be saved in the new loc.And also what...
  5. Storage location changed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Will not let me change primary storage location from ssd to hdd

Will not let me change primary storage location from ssd to hdd: When trying to switch storage locations from SSD to hdd, it comes up with an error message saying "We couldn't set your default save location" and the error code is 0x80070005. Everything is plugged in fine and in perfect working order. Have tried even restarting the pc and...
  7. Storage setup with a SSD and HDD

Storage setup with a SSD and HDD: Hi I have just purchased an HP Pavillion Desktop with a 256GB SSD and 2TB HDD, I have initialised windows, choosing to use OneDrive for backup and storage I have 1TB cloud storage with 365 and also updated windows and drivers. I have not transferred any data from my old pc...
  8. Storage pool with hdd and ssd

Storage pool with hdd and ssd: Hello I have made a what I think is a pretty sick gaming pc but its slow because of the hdd and I don't have any ssds big enough to suit my needs so I'm wondering if I can make a storage pool that will have the os on the ssd as well as my games that I use the most on there...
  9. How to use SSD for OS and HDD as storage???

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use SSD for OS and HDD as storage???: I am currently running the newest version of windows 10 and I have an SSD for my OS only and a HDD as storage. And every time I install a program it defaults to install on the SSD. I have changed the storage settings in windows so that apps and so on go will to the HDD but...
  10. How to change default storage location from SSD to HDD.

How to change default storage location from SSD to HDD.: I have a SSD(C:) and a HDD(G:) installed in my PC, I want to use the SSD for my more important files and things I want to boot faster and I want to use the HDD for general storage, the only problem is everything that I download defaults to downloading into my SSD(C:), I don't...