Windows 10: Setup the remote lock feature

Discus and support Setup the remote lock feature in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I have already asked this question in the German forum several days ago but since I got no reply I am posting the same question in the English... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DennisDavari, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Setup the remote lock feature

Hello,

I have already asked this question in the German forum several days ago but since I got no reply I am posting the same question in the English forum. So my problem is the following: I want to have a way to unlock my laptop in case I loose it or it gets stolen and I found the option to remotely lock my laptop via my Microsoft account. So I tried out this feature and I could successfully remotely lock my laptop but the problem was that I wasn't able to unlock it. All I can enter is a password and no matter which password I entered I tried Windows PIN and Microsoft account password I always got this error message: "An administrator had restricted sign in. To sign in, make sure your device is connected to the internet, and have your administrator sign in first.". Unfortunately I had to reinstall Windows in order to make my laptop usable again.

Now my question is: How can I setup the remote lock function so that I can successfully unlock my laptop again. I would like to test this function again but I am hesitant since I don't want to have to reinstall everything again. It would be great if you could give me some advice!

Best regards

Dennis

:)

DennisDavari, Oct 27, 2020

2. Remote phone locking - Lock your phone via text if you lose it!

This is a damn cool feature, basically once you set it up, if you lose your phone you can lock it via text message!I feel much safer now, as I have insurance but you cannot insure your privacy! :smileyhappy:

For reference the default lock code on an unbranded phone is 12345, I suggest you change this. Be warned though, the default lock code could vary if your phone is branded so check with your carrier first!

• Go to Menu > Settings > Phone >
      Phone mgmt. > Security settings > Phone and SIM card >
      Remote phone locking.
    • Select Enable and enter a “remote locking message”. This can be anything you choose, but must be at least five characters in length.
    • Enter a PIN code, you will need this to unlock the phone.
    • Test it by using another phone and texting your phone the “remote locking message”.

recall---01, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Remote Lock Feature "Frozen" - Lists Phone as Locked Even Though It Isn't

On the "Find My Phone" page, my phone is listed as locked while it definitely is not. It has remained this way for months, leaving me with no way to remotely lock my phone in the event it is lost or stolen. Can this be fixed?

I have:

• Restarted my phone
    • Logged in and out of Live
    • Tried multiple computers

Samsung Focus (WP 7.10.7720.68)

AT&T

CrownedMartyr, Oct 27, 2020
  4. Setup the remote lock feature

Remote lock

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in signing in to your device with the PIN authentication.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. What happens when you try to sign with the PIN?
    2. Do you have an option to sign in with the password?
    3. May I know what you exactly mean by “Locked laptop remotely with my account”?

As you have mentioned you got it back and you are not able to get into it, I would suggest you to refer the article on
    Find and lock a lost Windows device,
    please check the section "Lock your Windows device remotely after locating it:" and check if it is helpful to you.

If you are facing an issue with signing into your system using the PIN that you assigned, please refer the article
    PIN sign-in issues
    for more information.

However, if this doesn't resolve your issue and you are facing an issue with logging into your system, please reply to this thread with more information, we will look into this for you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

Setup the remote lock feature

1. Setup the remote lock feature - Similar Threads - Setup remote lock

2. Remote Desktop setup question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remote Desktop setup question: Three remote users need to access a SQL database on a desktop computer. I was told Remote Desktop was a good option. I have the following questions.1. What software do I need to have on that desktop computer? Windows 10, 11 or a server edition?2. If a server edition, what...
  3. Remote Desktop setup question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remote Desktop setup question: Three remote users need to access a SQL database on a desktop computer. I was told Remote Desktop was a good option. I have the following questions.1. What software do I need to have on that desktop computer? Windows 10, 11 or a server edition?2. If a server edition, what...
  4. Remote desktop protocol setup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop protocol setup: Hi guys We have a VPN in our company client. But we want to restrict access from remote desktop protocol to only machines that are phisically in local network. Is it possible to make this setup in windows? or Is it better to make it in anti virus software? 183182
  5. Remote desktop protocol setup

in Windows 10 Support
    Remote desktop protocol setup: Hi guys We have a VPN in our company client. But we want to restrict access from remote desktop protocol to only machines that are phisically in local network. Is it possible to make this setup in windows? or Is it better to make it in anti virus software? 183182
  6. Remotely Locked PC

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Remotely Locked PC: While I was logged into my MS account online today first time in a year I saw a device I did not recognize. The location of it was no where near where I am. So I thought I would simply lock it remotely with the message to call me. Well I found that it was a legitimate PC and...
  7. remote lock

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    remote lock: if i used one laptop and accidentally remotely locked another also belonging to me how would i remotely unlock it on purpose. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-lock/1eaf87a7-d130-4272-b1f2-615ad8bccf08
  8. remote lock

remote lock: Is there any way to lock windows10 remotely,I can't find any button to complete it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-lock/2552b7a2-adc8-4546-9936-e6248a4eb388
  9. remotely lock device

remotely lock device: i want to log out all current users and remotely lock device without having find my device turned on https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remotely-lock-device/4c4b69b9-32f1-401d-a547-7e61d870373d
  10. Remote lock

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Remote lock: Locked laptop remotely with my account. Got it back and cannot get into it. Pin for laptop doesnt work. No pin in Microsoft email. Cant unlock remotely (why the hell not?) This has been nothing but more stress....