Windows 10: Several icons are grayed out (including NTUSER and AppData and MicrosoftEdgeBackups...

Discus and support Several icons are grayed out (including NTUSER and AppData and MicrosoftEdgeBackups... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently went through my PC files to delete folders and images that I deemed unnecessary, clearly without understanding their importance. Although I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by - cinnamon girl -, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Several icons are grayed out (including NTUSER and AppData and MicrosoftEdgeBackups...

I recently went through my PC files to delete folders and images that I deemed unnecessary, clearly without understanding their importance. Although I have not run into any major issues yet, I tried to open up the NTUSER DAT file that my PC automatically opens with PhotoDirector8 for MSI only to have the error message" CyberLink PhotoDirector is not able to open the file you selected." I tried to open the DAT file after looking back at my This PC main page and noticed that the DAT file along other file icons are now grayed out.

I went back through my Recycle Bin and restored every file that I had erased, but still nothing. I also looked into doing a system restore, but I realized after the fact that I needed to manually create a restoration point. What can I do now to fix these grayed out files that are gray now since I modified these files?

Please respond with any possible solutions.

:)

- cinnamon girl -, Mar 16, 2019

2. Gray bar at bottom of each folder in large icons view

• What are the changes made or things you've done before the issue start? I ran hitmanpro.
    • Do this gray bar displays on all folders and files in the File Explorer?
      The gray bar does display on all folders in the File Explorer but not individual files themselves. The gray bar only displays on all folders in view as Extra Large Icons, Large Icons, and Medium Icons. The gray bar does not show when view is either in Small
      Icons or List, or Details.
    • Does the folders and files with the gray bar can still be accessed successfully?
      Yes all folders with the gray bar and the individual files in the folders can be accessed.
    I am currently running System File Checker and will let you know if that works.

If if doesn't work then I'll run DISM or System Update Readiness tool as suggested.

Thank you so much.

*UPDATE*

The results of System File Checker says "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Now I'll run DISM or System Update Readiness Tool as suggested.

aries2ganymede, Mar 16, 2019
  3. "Gray Screen of Death"

Thanks for your informative post!

I had solved my 2D & gray screen issue using advice posted by erocker (see below)
    Mainly it involves creating a profile and putting higher 2D clocks:

Black Panther, Mar 16, 2019
  4. Several icons are grayed out (including NTUSER and AppData and MicrosoftEdgeBackups...

deleted AppData Account Picture file

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to refer the following Microsoft help article to about AppData folder.

What is the AppData folder?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: This link is also applicable to Windows 10 as well.

I suggest you to perform System Restore on your computer and check if you are able to get back the AppData folder.

System Restore brings a system to an operable condition after a disaster so that it can again accept and process data.

To perform System Restore follow the step provided below.

• Press Windows Key + R Key
    • Type rstrui and press Enter.

Hope this resolves your issue. Do let us know if it helped. For further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

Several icons are grayed out (including NTUSER and AppData and MicrosoftEdgeBackups...

1. Several icons are grayed out (including NTUSER and AppData and MicrosoftEdgeBackups... - Similar Threads - Several icons are

2. several icons in my desktop is greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    several icons in my desktop is greyed out: I dont know how to describe my issue however some icons on my desktop are not showing there are names and you can drag it anywhere on the desktop. You can also click on it and it will open. I tried to remove them but still it will be blank when you put it back in the desktop....
  3. several icons in my desktop is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    several icons in my desktop is greyed out: I dont know how to describe my issue however some icons on my desktop are not showing there are names and you can drag it anywhere on the desktop. You can also click on it and it will open. I tried to remove them but still it will be blank when you put it back in the desktop....
  4. Gray Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Gray Icons: So recently, I've decided to clean up my desktop, by moving all my Shortcuts to 2 different folders, on my desktop, and as I was moving them to the folders, some lost their icons, and some didn't. The shortcut lost the icons and so did the original file. How can I restore the...
  5. Gray Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gray Icons: So recently, I've decided to clean up my desktop, by moving all my Shortcuts to 2 different folders, on my desktop, and as I was moving them to the folders, some lost their icons, and some didn't. The shortcut lost the icons and so did the original file. How can I restore the...
  6. Gray Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Grayed out download status icons

in Browsers and Email
    Grayed out download status icons: Hello, So whenever I download a file, the icon of that program is grayed out while in the download process. I looked online everywhere but I couldn't find any answer. I'm using Windows 10 on an ACER Swift 3. Yes, this is not just with this website. If anyone has a solution, I...
  8. Windows 10 Internet Icon grayed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Internet Icon grayed out: The Internet icon on my Windows 10 disappeared after finished a Windows update. I tried to follow several tasks discussion and suggestion but found no joy. As I played with "System Configuration" I got the Internet Icon showed up. To help resolve your concern regarding...
  9. Icons in the Taskbar settings are all grayed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons in the Taskbar settings are all grayed out: [ATTACH] The screenshot above is currently what showing inside the Taskbar settings. I already tried disabling/uninstall then reinstall the "Microsoft AC adapter" as well as the "Microsoft ACPI- Compliant Control Method Battery but it was no good. I also tried deleting...
  10. No More MicrosoftEdgeBackups?????

in Browsers and Email
    No More MicrosoftEdgeBackups?????: Got used to the "automatic" back up of favorites and quit paying attention to them. Just discovered mine hasn't made a backup since 09/11/2018, 11 days ago. That date was about the time I was uninstalling Candy Crush Soda and some other bloatware, either just before or right...