Windows 10: Several localization problems identified in OneDrive

Discus and support Several localization problems identified in OneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Take a deep breath. OneDrive (OD for short) has several problems related to localization. It looks like OD was acquired by Microsoft but wasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Carlos.Frederico.Jeunon, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Several localization problems identified in OneDrive

Take a deep breath. OneDrive (OD for short) has several problems related to localization. It looks like OD was acquired by Microsoft but wasn't "evolved" to mach Windows' naming conventions.

1. If the display language (DL for short) set up in Windows for a computer user (in Windows Settings) matches the user's OD DL (that's done through the web), everything looks fine. But that's about it, it just "looks". OD doesn't follow the same localization rules as Windows, in that the folders in OD aren't always stored internally as "Desktop", "Documents" and "Images", with the "desktop.ini" file contained in them pointing to the localized strings: they are stored natively in the user's OD DL. OD completely disregards Windows DL.

The consequences are (if Windows DL differs from OD DL):

2. As soon as a user starts backing up the three folders, they'll be shown in File Explorer in a language (OD DL) different than the rest (Windows DL). Things start looking wierd.

3. Now when the user stops backing up the folders, for some reason the "Desktop" folder loses the "desktop.ini" file and gets stuck being displayed in English. Even if by chance someone made a backup of it and put it back, it stays that way.

4. If the user creates a new account on a computer with Windows DL being different from OD DL, the folders in OD won't be associated to the corresponding folders in Windows, will be OD-only folders, not under "This Computer" in File Explorer.

5. Now suppose the user changed OD DL to match Windows DL. As soon as the folders are backed up again, a new set of "Desktop", "Documents" and "Images" folders are created, natively reflecting the Windows DL, summing up 6 different folders, each three shown in a different language.

Now these are browser-only issues:

6. OD has a DL detached from the user's MS (web) DL. Changing OD DL makes a corresponding change in MS DL, the the analogous isn't true (even using in Microsoft Edge).

7. Now suppose the user changes the default browser to Chrome. When opening OD in the web, OD's site shows in the configured language, but the rest of Microsoft's web ecosystem is shows in Google's DL, even if the Microsoft account profile shows a different language setting. The latter must be set up again in Microsoft's account profile to the same value, so that Chrome starts showing text respecting Microsoft's setting, not Google's setting.

Oh my.

:)

Carlos.Frederico.Jeunon, Sep 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Sep 22, 2019
  3. OneDrive Printing Problems

That Solved the problem. Thanks.

Johnsavery, Sep 22, 2019
  4. Several localization problems identified in OneDrive

OneDrive Printing Problems

Thank you for getting back to us. If you're accessing your OneDrive account by using a browser, it means that you're using
    OneDrive Online.

For resetting the OneDrive app, you can follow these steps instead:

• Click the Start button.
    • Type Run and then press Enter.
    • Copy and paste the command below to the Run window and then click
      OK.
      • %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
    • Wait for the OneDrive icon to reappear.

If the issue continues, I recommend downloading or moving the document you need to print to your local drive and then try to print it from that location.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Devlin Sco, Sep 22, 2019
Thema:

Several localization problems identified in OneDrive

1. Several localization problems identified in OneDrive - Similar Threads - Several localization problems

2. Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk: HelloI don't know what I have done but it seems to me I am storing the same things over and over again on onedrive and on my local disk C:´\Yesterday I noticed I had only 19GB left of 220 GB. I got help with that but my settings are still wrong. What I want is to edit files...
  3. Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk: HelloI don't know what I have done but it seems to me I am storing the same things over and over again on onedrive and on my local disk C:´\Yesterday I noticed I had only 19GB left of 220 GB. I got help with that but my settings are still wrong. What I want is to edit files...
  4. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  5. Identified problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Identified problem: Hi I am user windows 10.I have a lenovo ideapad i7Recently I encountered an problem that is So Irritating.In this screenshot the drive is corrupted and I dont know how to fix it. Well, I have 180 space free why it is full, and I can't access to administrative parts and can't...
  6. OneDrive and local file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and local file: Hello, So all my files are usually backed up onto Onedrive or some other storage cloud. But my laptop is running low on space so I want to clear them from my laptop's local storage space to free up some space. Is it possible to delete files from my laptop without deleting...
  7. OneDrive and Local Files

OneDrive and Local Files: I cannot seem to stop this. It appears everything under THIS PC Documents, Photos, Music, etc. show both local files and OneDrive files. It gets confusing and sometimes I can't really tell but some save directly to OneDrive. How do I:Have ONLY files that are on the Local disk...
  8. OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive

OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive: Hi, I searched the forum and other websites and could not find a solution. All the files I add to my sync folders are never synced uploaded to onedrive, but the taskbar icon says it is up to date. I try to end the application process, unlink/re-link onedrive,...
  9. Identifying the Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Identifying the Problem: Problem signature Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: 141 Parameter 1: ffff948c531b11f0 Parameter 2: fffff8033ba84858 Parameter 3: 0 Parameter 4: e8 OS version: 10_0_18363 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 768_1 OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101 Locale ID: 1033 Date...
  10. OneDrive and local account

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive and local account: Can OneDrive be used with a local account? I Know I would have to login with a MS account but can this be done from a local account? 23393

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problems with files are identified