Windows 10: several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file...

Discus and support several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file... in Cortana to solve the problem; several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file explorer I am running the latest updates to windows 1909.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by CellZapper, Apr 4, 2020.

1. several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file...

several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file explorer

I am running the latest updates to windows 1909.

I am not sure when this problem started as it has become more unreliable over time in recent weeks.

I have followed the advice given here.....to no avail

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4520146/fix-problems-in-windows-search

The file SearchUI.exe mentioned is not shown on my Task manager

The search box on the task bar is belligerently unresponsive ...

the search box in the top right hand of windows file explorer appears to do nothing

BUT any letters typed cause the highlighted file in the file view to change the letter typed being the first letter of the highlighted file

this is feature I have come to rely on and not having it is really slowing me down.

using the trouble shooter just responds with I need administrator privilege , I thought I had it !

thank you for reading

:)

CellZapper, Apr 4, 2020

2. Lost Two Mouse Functions

I recently did a system restore on my laptop and have, it seems, lost two mouse functions as a result. The two to which I am refering are, the scrolling feature and the zoom feature. I have searched google for a solution, but all rely things which I have no access to. More specifically, most suggest going to "mouse and touchpad settings," and then click on "additional mouse options." However, if you refer to the pictures here, I am missing the following tabs: Wheel, Hardware, and Device Setting.

PS It seems that i have lost all functions except its "ordinary" mouse capability.

user193319, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Files lost after Automatic Repair

Hi,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to refer the link provided below and check if it helps.

The files & folders from the previous operating system after the upgrade to Windows 10 might have been saved in the
    windows.old folder. Check if the lost files and folders are present in
    windows.old folder by following the steps below:

Step 1: Using Cortana

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type
      windows.old in the search box.

• Select the search result which shows folder and drive location of the program.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Step 2: Using Windows explorer

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open Windows Explorer.

• Click on This PC option from the left side panel of the window.

• Type windows.old in the Search This PC
      box located at the top right corner of the window.

• Follow the file/folder path to check the contents of the same.

Refer to the link below on Find lost files after the update to Windows 10 and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 4, 2020
  4. kormath Win User

several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file...

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file... :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file...

1. several of my pc's seem to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file... - Similar Threads - several pc's seem

2. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function lost: After the update last week I lost the search function in the start up box and in searching files on my PC. I uninstalled and the function returns. I am wondering if there is another fix for the problem....
  3. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function lost: On Wednesday an auto update processed. Thursday I could not search my files on the PC or use the start up box to search. I uninstalled the updates and the function returns. There must be a bug in there causing this to happen. Anyone else having this issue?...
  4. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function lost: After the update last week I lost the search function in the start up box and in searching files on my PC. I uninstalled and the function returns. I am wondering if there is another fix for the problem....
  5. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function lost: On Wednesday an auto update processed. Thursday I could not search my files on the PC or use the start up box to search. I uninstalled the updates and the function returns. There must be a bug in there causing this to happen. Anyone else having this issue?...
  6. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Search function lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Seem to have lost my program files. Startup issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Seem to have lost my program files. Startup issue: I have a week or so old laptop. I had put it on sleep mode, but when I came back, it had shutdown. When I tried turning it on, it showed the logo (Lenovo) and then blackscreen. Happened a lot of times (I force shut it down) then I opened the emergency thingy, where it gives...
  9. several of my pc's seam to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file...

in Cortana
    several of my pc's seam to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file...: several of my pc's seam to have lost functionality with the search feature on windows file explorer I am running the latest updates to windows 1909. I am not sure when this problem started as it has become more unreliable over time in recent weeks. I have followed the...
  10. I seem to have lost my touch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I seem to have lost my touch: I cannot get touch and inking to work on my 2-in-1 Tablet PC's touch screen. I have used it before, but now I cannot remember if I have missed out something to activate it again. I can draw and scribble with the mouse but not with my (basic) stylus or fingers, either in the...