Windows 10: Several Windows 10 background service files causing extremely long boot times

Discus and support Several Windows 10 background service files causing extremely long boot times in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm not sure exactly how long ago it started as I tend to put the PC to sleep rather than turn it off at night but after installing some extra RAM I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Bonovision, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Several Windows 10 background service files causing extremely long boot times

I'm not sure exactly how long ago it started as I tend to put the PC to sleep rather than turn it off at night but after installing some extra RAM I noticed that Windows hangs at the logo and dotted circle screen for up to 5-7 minutes at a time. I rebooted several times to see if this was just due to the first boot since the addition of RAM but it consistently took just as long. Once it loads the PC is super fast consistently.

My PC specs:

• MSI Z370 SLI Plus Motherboard
    • 17-8700k running at stock @ 3.7ghz.
    • 32 gigs of RAM (4 x 8Gigs, DDR4 XMP enabled to 3200mhz).
    • Windows runs off of 500G SSD with plenty of space.
    • Games and all other non-essentials are on separate HDD's.

What I've tried so far to troubleshoot this:

• I ran Sysinternal's autoruns and unchecked any background process I know to be unnecessary (skype, one note etc) which didn't change anything time wise on my next boot attempts.
    • Haven't turned off fastboot via Windows settings yet but did not see a direct option for this in BIOS while exploring.
    • I downloaded the Windows performance toolkit and ran a boot trace to see what was happening. Here is a screenshot of the results: boot trace
    • Here is a zoomed snap of the worst culprits: Boot Trace Zoomed in
    • I can see that several of the key Windows background services are delayed and taking forever to load with the worst culprit being "shellexperiencehost" along with "svchost" and a few others.
    • I ran a complete SFC scan that resulted in no Windows file errors.
    • I then booted into Safe Mode with Networking to see how long it takes to boot that way. This resulted in a slightly shorter load shaving off too minutes from before.

Would appreciate some advice on where else to dig through as I'm not sure how to address the information I've collected.

Thanks to everyone in advance

:)

Bonovision, Jun 27, 2019

2. .net framework 3.5 causing slow boot times

I agree with you, but he said it's still slow after a clean install. But even with a clean install something is trying to use 3.5 and it could be windows. I'd try the service packs then do what you suggested. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Jun 27, 2019
  3. Casey-boy Win User
    KB4025342 causing extremely long boot time

Hi,

Installed update KB4025342 automatically through Windows Update on July 12. Noticed extremely long boot up times of the order of 10 mins for a laptop that normally gets to desktop in under 1 min. Repeatedly happened over several shut downs and boot ups.

So I uninstalled the update and PC is back to normal. Again, have done several shut downs and boot ups.

Seems like this KB4025342 is the culprit. Wonder if anyone knows how to report this and what I should do now? Wait for different cumulative update or try installing again?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Casey-boy, Jun 27, 2019
  4. Steve C Win User

Several Windows 10 background service files causing extremely long boot times

Extremely long and incomplete boot

This may be a long shot. My PC hung at boot yesterday after typing the password - see Can't Login - Further Troubleshooting Steps?

I ran chkdsk c: /spotfix and all is now fine. Someone has also suggested running chkdsk c: /r.

Steve C, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

Several Windows 10 background service files causing extremely long boot times

1. Several Windows 10 background service files causing extremely long boot times - Similar Threads - Several background service

2. Long boot time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  3. Win 10 HP laptop extremely long boot time

Win 10 HP laptop extremely long boot time: I am trying to troubleshoot my daughters less than 1 year old HP gaming laptops looooong boot time 10 min +. It started this behavior 1 or 2 months ago while at college. It is a windows 10 machine, fast start is not selected, it has been virus and malware scanned,...
  4. Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows July 14th update: Extremely LONG Boot up time: Before July 14th, My PC is able to boot up and get ready to be used under a minute or so generally. My Windows 10 is running off a Samsung Evo NVME M.2 drive. I have AMD 1700X and 32 GB of RAM and Vega 64. Now it takes more like 10 min to load desktop icon and app task on...
  5. Long Booting time of windows

Long Booting time of windows: Hey , I am using a HP 15-ac122tu model laptop and it takes a long time to boot up around 30 min or long.Windows 10 is my operating system and when it's opened i experience more lag than never before.What should i do I tried some fixes on youtube but none of the worked....
  6. Windows 10 extremely long boot time, need help analyzing WPA trace

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 extremely long boot time, need help analyzing WPA trace: Hello, Just updated my Acer Aspire E17 laptop to windows 10 and it takes ages to boot, almost 5 minutes until it's usable. It was slow before on Win 8.1 but not this slow. Windows is installed on an HDD, Win10 version 1901(Build 18363.592). Quick specs: CPU i5-5200U, Nvidia...
  7. Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time: One of my systems was dual-booted with two WinXPx32 installs. It was lightning fast when booting. The system has a 3GHz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and the system disc is a SSD. BIOS, not UEFI and MBR. I decided to reformat the second WinXP partition and install Win10x64 as a...
  8. Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual-boot with XP causes long boot time: One of my systems was dual-booted with two WinXPx32 installs. The system has a 3GHz i5 CPU, 4GB RAM and the system disc is a SSD. It was lightning fast when booting. I decided to reformat the second WinXP partition and install Win10x64. Since doing so, I get a blank screen...
  9. Extremely long and incomplete boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Extremely long and incomplete boot: Greetings. My PC was working fine until yesterday. Today upon boot, it hung on the login screen (no password required) for about 25 seconds, displaying "preparing windows." When the desktop appeared, it was incomplete, as was the start menu. My sense is that programs that run...
  10. Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All: I have a Sony All-In-One (Model SVL241290X also known as SVL241A11L) computer loaded with Windows 10 Home. Since the later part of Nov; early Dec, I have been experiencing extremely long boot times. We’re talking in the neighborhood of several hours and sometimes it doesn’t...