Windows 10: Several Windows apps not working since upgrade to win 10

Discus and support Several Windows apps not working since upgrade to win 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I recently upgraded from win 7 to win 10. After upgrading I noticed my start menu wasn't working properly. When I clicked it or even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TonyG, Feb 11, 2016.

1. TonyG Win User

Several Windows apps not working since upgrade to win 10

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded from win 7 to win 10. After upgrading I noticed my start menu wasn't working properly. When I clicked it or even the search box nothing would come up. I found some potential solutions online which suggested running sfc /scannnow, which i did, followed by a powershell command to reinstall the windows apps. Since doing this my start menu seems to be working now but I have lost the functionality of most of the windows apps. When i click calculator for example nothing comes up. Their logos have been removed from my task bar. I've also found now when I open file explorer it freezes and says "we're working on it". Not sure if this is a related issue or just coincidental.

It seems this problem began after installing Avast AV. I have since removed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Several Windows apps not working since upgrade to win 10 [​IMG]

Several Windows apps not working since upgrade to win 10 [​IMG]

:)

TonyG, Feb 11, 2016

2. Laptop camera not working in windows 10

Old title: laptop camera not working in win 10

laptop camera / app not working since upgrade to windows 10

Shailendra Namdeo, Feb 11, 2016
  3. Window 10 wifi turning off everytime I try to turn it on

There have been several updates from Microsoft with no change in the problem. Since the problem took place at the first install of win 10, it seems that I would need to go back to win 8.1 assuming it is still on my computer. I am not sure how to determine
    that nor if I succeed in going back to 8.1, whether I would loose my free upgrade to win 10 or re-upgrading to win 10 from 8.1 again will solve the problem since that is when it occurred.

Several people have told me to wipe my drive, reformat it and load win 10 again. How can I do this and still get Win 10 free upgrade since there will be no reference to prove that I had a pre-existing Windows on my computer. I would also loose Office
    and a bunch of other software.

EdwardBeary, Feb 11, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Feb 11, 2016
  5. TonyG Win User
    Hi davidhk,

Thanks for helping me. In the linked tutorial, is there any real difference between using steps 4-7? It seems like step 6 or 7 is much simpler than having to create install media as in steps 4 or 5. If i use step 6 or 7 do I need to worry about which build or version I have?

Thanks

TonyG, Feb 15, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    I'll make it simpler for you.................make sure you follow the steps as listed.

Use this Tech Bench link and download the Windows 10 iso file:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w)()

scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 > click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Feb 15, 2016
  7. TonyG Win User
    Great, I'll try this in the next couple of days and let you know how I make out.

fwiw, no need to be condescending in "making it simpler for me............."
    I just asked for further clarification.

I appreciate the help,
    cheers

TonyG, Feb 15, 2016
  8. TonyG Win User

davidhk,

Just thought I'd let you know the in-place upgrade seemed to fix everything! I'm pretty certain my problem began with installing Avast anti virus after the first upgrade from win 7. I will have to find something different instead, anything you might recommend?

Thank you for your help!

TonyG, Feb 16, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    I am not sure Avast is the culprit. I really don't think so.

As to my recommendation:
    I use the built-in Windows Defender as my real-time protection, and Malwarebytes free edition as my on-demand protection.
    On-demand means one has to open it before it will start scanning and it will stop when scanning is done.
    I run the Malwarebytes once a week to make sure my computer is clean.
    I have not had any issues for 2 + years with this setup.

Malwarebytes download link :
    http://filehippo.com/download_malwar..._anti_malware/

Note : It has changed quite a bit. The above link is the only link for free edition. The rest are Trial or paid Premium versions.

davidhk, Feb 16, 2016
  10. TonyG Win User
    Ahh, good to know! I haven't had to download the installer in years. I was just about to use this link:
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Protect, Detect & Remove Malware From Your PC

for the "free" version, but maybe that's also just to trick you into the premium trial as well.

Glad to hear there's no need for a third party AV.

TonyG, Feb 16, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Tony,
    Your link is good. I opened it to check it out.
    Just click the Free Version Download button.
    All you need to do is to register, then you will get to download the free version.

Don't say " Glad to hear there's no need for a third party AV ".
    Others will jump at my case.
    All I was telling you was what I did. That does not necessarily mean it will be applicable to another person.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Several Windows apps not working since upgrade to win 10 - Similar Threads - Several apps working

2. Win 11 - Several options on many different apps are not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 - Several options on many different apps are not working: Hi,For several days, unfortunately, I can't be specific I have had problems accessing the options across the top of every program/app that I have opened. Clicking on them doesn't work, neither with the mouse nor the touchpad. These are some of the examples, which have...
  3. Win 11 - Several options on many different apps are not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 - Several options on many different apps are not working: Hi,For several days, unfortunately, I can't be specific I have had problems accessing the options across the top of every program/app that I have opened. Clicking on them doesn't work, neither with the mouse nor the touchpad. These are some of the examples, which have...
  4. Secondary monitor not working since upgrade to windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary monitor not working since upgrade to windows 10: Recently "upgraded" my pc to windows 10 from 7 after hardware change. Since upgrading, my secondary monitor does not work. Monitor says no cable connected, device manager events say "device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match". Windows and NVIDIA both recognise the...
  5. Touchpad does not work since I upgraded to win 10 from win 8

Touchpad does not work since I upgraded to win 10 from win 8: Hi, I upgraded to win 10 from 8 when it first came out, I have an Acer E 711 and have tried to reinstall the drivers from Acer's web site. I go into Device Management and it's not there even after the 20h02 update just the mouse, it's not even showing in the bios of the...
  6. Missing Microsoft Apps since upgrading Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing Microsoft Apps since upgrading Windows 10: After the latest update of Windows 10 I am missing several Microsoft apps Calculator, Microsoft Solitaire Collections and other MS games, Calendar, Alarms and Clocks, Get Help etc . Tried a restore but did not help. Anyone else have this happen or can anyone suggest how...
  7. Microsoft Edge has never worked since my WIN 10 upgrade

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge has never worked since my WIN 10 upgrade: Hmm, we can't reach this page. Try this Make sure you’ve got the right web address: This has been the message, I've gotten ever since trying to use Microsoft Edge, any suggestions? 43318
  8. can't print since Win 10 upgrade

can't print since Win 10 upgrade: Hello, I upgraded my 4-5 year-old HP Envy laptop from its native Win 8 to Win 10 a few months ago. Since then, I haven't been able to print to my HP Envy 4500 series printer. I *did*, just today, print a configuration page, but I can't print from Notepad, Word, the net,...
  9. Printer "support" links not working since upgrading from W7 to Win 10

Printer "support" links not working since upgrading from W7 to Win 10: I have Epson Stylus Photo P50 printer. Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, some of the "support" links are not responding. EG selecting "Check Ink Levels" or "Nozzle Check". These functions were working perfectly well before upgrading to Windows 10. How to...
  10. Since Win 10 Upgrade, mic and headphones do not work.......

in Windows 10 Support
    Since Win 10 Upgrade, mic and headphones do not work.......: HP Envy- H81534...Since Win 10 Upgrade, mic and headphones do not work.......Machine came with Beats audio but now it does not handle my sound apparently. Most of the controls on the Beats Audio console are greyed out or frozen. As you probably know, Hp does not provide Win...