Windows 10: several 'windows' folders on hdds, determine which is win10/8/7...

Discus and support several 'windows' folders on hdds, determine which is win10/8/7... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi i have installed win10 on c:, an ssd. i have a previous install of win10 & win7 on f: funny startup behaviour - indicating two identical users... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gabrielsmit, Aug 29, 2015.

1. several 'windows' folders on hdds, determine which is win10/8/7...

hi
    i have installed win10 on c:, an ssd.
    i have a previous install of win10 & win7 on f:
    funny startup behaviour - indicating two identical users lower left screen on startup [both me ;-)]
    and inability to remove startup makes me think win10 on c: actually 'sees' remnants of itself on f: - it keeps asking for a code although i tried to disable it.
    on f: i have folders 'windows' and windows.old', the last mentioned most probably my old win7
    do you guys/gals think i can remove [force remove] win remnants on f: or what should i do?
    kind regards
    in Christ
    gabriel

:)

gabrielsmit, Aug 29, 2015

2. [SOLVED] Multiple BSOD, please help!

If you upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 10, your digital entitlement to Win10 will not be valid as long as Windows (any version) is installed on the old computer.

Translation: You'll have to format the HDD (or SSD) of the older computer you might begin to validate the install of Win10 on the new hardware - and chances are you'll need to "jump several hurdles" before you'll be able to do that.

Good luck!

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Rafay106 Win User
    Blue Screen error (winload.efi missing or contains error)

Hello,

This is my first time asking question here and sorry for bad english.

PC hardware: i5-7400, mb - Gigabyte H270M-D3H, HDDs - 1tb seagate barracuda and 500gb seagate hdd.

At that time i only had seagate 1tb hdd. I dont know why but my 1tb hdd somehow converted to dynamic disk and i cant install win10 in it, all options are disabled format, delete, next, extend etc. I was installing win10 beccause my old win10 got some error
    and cant be loaded and i formated drive C by cmd ( dont know why, i just thought that could enable next button). So i purchased new 500gb hdd and installed win10 successfully on it and backuped all my data from 1tb hdd to 500gb hdd then i deleted all partitions
    of 1tb and converted it to basic disk with gpt partition style. Then i installed win10 on 1tb hdd and when i tried to copy all data from hdd my pc very slowed down and all partitions of 500gb hdd gone from This pc. Then i tried to boot my pc with 500gb hdd
    and it showed winload.efi missing error and 500gb hdd started makeing clicking sound. Then i changed power cable connted to 500gb hdd (which is unable to load win10 and making clicking sound and can't be shown its partitions when i boot from 1tb hdd) and clicking
    sound is gone and then i booted my pc from 1tb hdd and all partitions are accessible by opening This Pc icon. So i copied all data from 500gb hdd to 1tb hdd. Then i thought i should also install win10 correctly in 500gb (which is showing winload.efi missing
    error) and when i did installed win10 in 500gb hdd i can't boot from 1tb hdd now (it is showing same error winload.efi missing).

I was installing win10 in 500gb hdd again bcz if 1tb hdd shows some error or again converts to dynamic disk so i change boot option and boot from 500gb hdd and backup all data from 1tb hdd and i could try to solve error.

And then i tried to install win10 in 1tb hdd again and it always shows some error, after finishing last step of installation and restarting, like winload.efi is missing and sometimes other files also. I have tried 7-8 times to install win10 in 1tb hdd and
    i can't it always endup in showing some error. But i can install and run window from 500gb hdd. I also deleted all partitions of 1tb hdd and created again after copying all data from 1tb hdd to 500gb hdd but nothing happens.

The reasion is C drive is of 50gb only of 500gb hdd and other left size is D drive in which all my data is currently present.

So please guys help me i want to install win10 in 1tb hdd and make it my primary hdd and i want to use 500gb hdd as secondary hdd for backing up etc.

My current conditiong is i am able to run win10 installed in 500gb hdd and i can't install windows in 1tb hdd

Rafay106, Aug 29, 2015
  4. several 'windows' folders on hdds, determine which is win10/8/7...

Reads like you did an Upgrade of Win7 to Win10 -- and that is now on F:. Also, that you did a clean install of Win10 -- and that is now on C:.

If the Upgrade version of Win10 activated OK, the clean-install should activate OK -- but you might have to remove the physical drive that the Upgrade version is on to get it to activate. Once that is done, unless you plan to migrate stuff from the Old Win10 to the New Win10, there is no reason to keep the old one around, so I would just reformat that drive and use it for data storage.

Mark Phelps, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    If I were to perform a Clean install of Windows Ten and then moved my current upgraded one from 7 to it, it would not do me any good would it?

6. A clean install erases everything that was there before, so you start out with a "clean slate" -- but, if Win10 was on the machine previously, this gets you an Activated version.

If you "move" another instance of Win10 to the same partition, all you will do is overwrite the clean-install with the other instance. That will eliminate the gains made by doing a clean install.

Mark Phelps, Aug 29, 2015
  7. you're dead on mark,
    1st i did an upgrade from win7 on f: [the old c:], i then got into problems, bought an ssd, installed win10 [clean] on it with all other drives unplugged and it worked fine until i connected the old c:, now f: again. since then i also get the option to boot with a repaired or whatever win7, which i know is totally caput. i'll just siphon all important stuff from f: and reformat. unless someone comes up with a better idea in the next couple of minutes. once again thanks.

gabrielsmit, Aug 29, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

several 'windows' folders on hdds, determine which is win10/8/7...

That is what I thought. I have way too many programs to re install and my system is running quite good now. I have been going through it and removing stuff that I know if leftover from 7. Thanks Mark

Gary, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

several 'windows' folders on hdds, determine which is win10/8/7...

1. several 'windows' folders on hdds, determine which is win10/8/7... - Similar Threads - several 'windows' folders

2. Cant determine which windows 10 edition to download

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cant determine which windows 10 edition to download: hi please can anyone assisst me the edition of this windows product id PRODUCT ID- 00327-60000-00000-AA523? My windows crashed and I cant seem to get my previous windows key working because I downloaded the wrong edition of windows 10...
  3. Cant determine which windows 10 edition to download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant determine which windows 10 edition to download: hi please can anyone assisst me the edition of this windows product id PRODUCT ID- 00327-60000-00000-AA523? My windows crashed and I cant seem to get my previous windows key working because I downloaded the wrong edition of windows 10...
  4. Cant determine which windows 10 edition to download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Have Win10 on older HDDs - need to move one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have Win10 on older HDDs - need to move one: Hello, I have several HDD's containing the Win10 files. I now have a new HDD and would like to Transfer one of my older Win10 file systems to it if possible. 1. How large should a Flash drive been to transfer the files?2. Is it possible to check the Product ID to confirm it...
  6. HDDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDDs: dose windows 10 changes the HDD from MBR to GBT or vise versa automatically, if so is it wipe it out or the data still there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdds/be966c48-b80c-4b05-b8d0-56fedab7e10e
  7. Windows 10, 8, or 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  8. How to dual boot Windows 10 and 7 on separate HDDs

How to dual boot Windows 10 and 7 on separate HDDs: I added a second HDD containing Win10 to Win7 machine with the intent of using EasyBCD to accomplish a dual boot setup. I'm not sure how but Win10 performed a repair on the Win7 drive making it unbootable. I removed the Win7 drive and Win10 boots fine. Therefore, if it is...
  9. Determining which programs are updating behind the scenes

Determining which programs are updating behind the scenes: How do I determine if some of the underlying programs are updating "behind the scenes"? I am on metered data usage and need to control this occurrence. Naturally there are hundreds of files on the HP laptop I am referring to....
  10. 7-8-10

7-8-10: I see many posts of issues with upgrades. I just wanted to share that its not all bad news with respect to 10 upgrades. I cleaned up my windows 8 install a big, removed some software I no longer used, and upgraded my 8.1 to 10 with no issues. Also like to note this is my...