Windows 10: Severe PC slowdown after force closing Windows manager by accident. Restarting doesn’t help.

Discus and support Severe PC slowdown after force closing Windows manager by accident. Restarting doesn’t help. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; While I was closing some programs through Task Manager in order to improve game performance, I noticed that windows manager was eating quite a bit of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/KY__79, Jul 5, 2020.

1. /u/KY__79 Win User

Severe PC slowdown after force closing Windows manager by accident. Restarting doesn’t help.

While I was closing some programs through Task Manager in order to improve game performance, I noticed that windows manager was eating quite a bit of RAM and stupidly confused it with file manager and closed it. This caused the taskbar and other stuff to disappear so I signed out and restarted my pc.

The pc worked normally but now everything is significantly slower. CPU and RAM usage seem normal on task manager.

I tried restarting a few times which helped but only very slightly. Even game performance has tanked. I was able to run Red Dead Redemption 2 at 60+ fps but now I’m gettin sub-10 fps even on low settings which is unplayable

My PC uses: I7-6700K RTX 2080 16GB RAM

In case that matters.

submitted by /u/KY__79
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/KY__79, Jul 5, 2020
  2. Ztruker Win User

How to force close all apps on restart or shutdown ?

Create a shortcut on the desktop that has this in it:

shutdown /f /r /t 0

/f = Force running applications to close without forewarning users.
    /r = Full shutdown and restart the computer.
    /t 0 = Set the time-out period before shutdown to 0 seconds (immediate restart).

Enter shutdown /? from a Command Prompt for the full list of options.

I think you're better off to wait a bit and let the programs and services close on their own, If they don't after 30 seconds or so then force them closed.

Ztruker, Jul 5, 2020
  3. How to: Recover from bad flash with no secondary card or onboard.

Step 1: Turn your PC on normally.
    Step 2: Press f8 and go into safe mode.
    Step 3: When you're in safe mode, go into device manager and disable your video card.
    Step 4: Restart computer(don't go into safe mode).
    Step 5: Flash your card like you normally do.
    Step 6: Go into device manager and enable your video card.
    Step 7: Restart pc and it will work.
    I found this method when I flashed my 4870 and restarted pc by accident. This method worked for me when I was using a ATI card, can someone confirm that this method works for Nvidia cards.

I posted this on OCN and I might as well post it on this forum to help out others.

fadedmemories, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Severe PC slowdown after force closing Windows manager by accident. Restarting doesn’t help.

System freezes after restart on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to perform DISM and check if it helps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Please get back to us with updated status, we will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

Severe PC slowdown after force closing Windows manager by accident. Restarting doesn’t help.

1. Severe PC slowdown after force closing Windows manager by accident. Restarting doesn’t help. - Similar Threads - Severe slowdown force

2. PC boots no display after force restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC boots no display after force restart: This has happened a couple times now. I force shutdown, force "restart anyway" with background process and when it boots back up there's no display. Last time this happened, I managed to boot into bios when I used a different monitor. This time around it's not working, after...
  3. PC boots no display after force restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC boots no display after force restart: This has happened a couple times now. I force shutdown, force "restart anyway" with background process and when it boots back up there's no display. Last time this happened, I managed to boot into bios when I used a different monitor. This time around it's not working, after...
  4. pc slowdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pc slowdown: How should I go on discoverimg what are the cause of the slowdown of my pc. Such as double clicking shortcuts or opening page. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-slowdown/5d244e12-e2e8-4218-bb49-eaa32bd59c75
  5. pc slowdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc slowdown: How should I go on discoverimg what are the cause of the slowdown of my pc. Such as double clicking shortcuts or opening page. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-slowdown/5d244e12-e2e8-4218-bb49-eaa32bd59c75
  6. pc slowdown

7. PC slowdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC slowdown: How should I go about detecting and correcting the causes of a slowdown in a PC's response to things like double-clicks on a desktop shortcut https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-slowdown/d4d8d854-3b2b-474a-98b0-31b10b0e03ca
  8. PC slowdown

PC slowdown: How should I go about detecting and correcting the causes of a slowdown in a PC's response to things like double-clicks on a desktop shortcut https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-slowdown/d4d8d854-3b2b-474a-98b0-31b10b0e03ca
  9. PC slowdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. My pc keeps force restarting HELP!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My pc keeps force restarting HELP!: Hi, after recently building my new pc ive been having a problem where my pc keeps force restarting when i try and launch star wars: Squadrons and also sometimes randomly when just on chrome. After checking the event viewer i keep getting the critical error saying: (The device...