Windows 10: Severely slowed launch of several programs with Build 10586.122

Discus and support Severely slowed launch of several programs with Build 10586.122 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; This week's Windows Update has made almost everything on my PC launch much more slowly. MS Office and various other programs take up to 10 seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mark99k, Mar 3, 2016.

1. mark99k Win User

Severely slowed launch of several programs with Build 10586.122

This week's Windows Update has made almost everything on my PC launch much more slowly.

MS Office and various other programs take up to 10 seconds to open where they used to take barely 2. Notepad -- arguably the simplest program in Windows -- takes at least 8 seconds to appear. Even just opening ordinary JPGs takes 10 seconds vs. <1 second last week. And batch files of 20 or so lines (doing simple stuff like SUBSTing drives or copying a dozen non-huge files), that used to finish in a flash, now take several seconds per line.

I'm assuming the root cause is Windows and not a security program or other culprit, because if I restore the system to March 1 (build 10586.104) everything is fast again. Of course then Windows notices this and forces a re-update within a day or so, and the PC is like a drunk uncle again. The only launch action that doesn't seem affected is opening a folder from a shortcut; that happens instantly -- although, if this is a clue, a few shortcuts to c:\windows\explorer.exe + folderpath take much longer. (I can't explain why I had those in the first place, but the launch-time difference between them and a simpler shortcut to the same folder was startling.)

I should stress that, except for batch files, most programs run fine once they're open. And I haven't tweaked my AV to do anything different at program launches.

My job requires lots of quick access to lots of programs and files, so I can't work like this. Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

This is Windows 10 Pro 64bit with 12GB RAM on a 4-year-old Dell desktop with gobs of free hard drive space. I upgraded from Win7 in November, and while it wasn't a pristine wipe-and-install it's performed quite well until just now.

Sincerely grateful for any clues.

Mark

:)

mark99k, Mar 3, 2016
  2. markt99 Win User

Update to 10586.122 severely slows all launches

Thank you again for this. I'll post again here when the next change happens.

markt99, Mar 3, 2016
  3. Update to 10586.122 severely slows all launches

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

Please do let unknown in the future if you need assistance regarding Windows. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 3, 2016
Thema:

Severely slowed launch of several programs with Build 10586.122

1. Severely slowed launch of several programs with Build 10586.122 - Similar Threads - Severely slowed launch

2. Several games crashing immediately on launch.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Several games crashing immediately on launch.: 1. I downloaded the Minecraft Launcher from the Microsoft Store onto my new PC, however whenever I open it, I can see the launcher update popup for a split second, and then it instantly crashes.2. I have the same issue with Fortnite, Valorant, and Krunker Client. They all...
  3. Several games crashing immediately on launch.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several games crashing immediately on launch.: 1. I downloaded the Minecraft Launcher from the Microsoft Store onto my new PC, however whenever I open it, I can see the launcher update popup for a split second, and then it instantly crashes.2. I have the same issue with Fortnite, Valorant, and Krunker Client. They all...
  4. Sever 2016 Sever manger

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sever 2016 Sever manger: I un-installed .NET framework 4.6 and now I can't get Server Manger to launch and I cant't find the installer for .NET framework. When I attempted to install the 4.6 version from Microsoft it would not install because it is already installed and just needs to be turned on....
  5. Sever 2016 Sever manger

Sever 2016 Sever manger: I un-installed .NET framework 4.6 and now I can't get Server Manger to launch and I cant't find the installer for .NET framework. When I attempted to install the 4.6 version from Microsoft it would not install because it is already installed and just needs to be turned on....
  6. Updates to several programs blocked.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Updates to several programs blocked.: Several programs are in need of updates but Windows Defender blocks them, I just installed a program and Defender will not let it run or make changes to my machine,...
  7. Start Menu missing several programs

Start Menu missing several programs: Hello, my Start Menu won't display all of my installed programs like MiPcSuite even there's a shortcut in the C:\...\Microsoft\Menu Start\Programs folder. I've tried doing a sfc \scannow in cmd (administrator) and to recreate the windows index. Windows is up to date. 116357
  8. PC running severely slow but sporadically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC running severely slow but sporadically: So I've run into a bit of an issue that I have not been able to solve. Issues: PC is running very slow 90% of the time, but about 10% it seems to work fine. Icons on taskbar disappear and reappear randomly when it isn't working. Everything loads absurdly slow, like 10...
  9. Build 10586

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Build 10586: Hi, Problem updating To Build 10586 from 10576. I am on an x64 platform. After downloading and preparing to install, it then goes "Configuring Update for Windows 10 xx% compete. Do not turn Off Your Computer" When 100% is reached it then Restarts. Upon restart it does not...
  10. Several Programs cannot connect to internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Several Programs cannot connect to internet: Hi There seem to be a lot of these problems and they are posted all over. Firstly most of my programs that were carried over from my windows 10 upgrade seem to have some form of internet connectivity problems, my browsers work completely fine, with the exception of...