Windows 10: sfc and dism fail

Discus and support sfc and dism fail in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had to restart my PC today using the power button after I ran into an issue with the USB controller stopped working resulting in no keyboard nor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WebMaximus, Sep 26, 2018.

1. sfc and dism fail

I had to restart my PC today using the power button after I ran into an issue with the USB controller stopped working resulting in no keyboard nor mouse. I managed to RDP into the PC from my mobile phone and thought I was able to restart my PC successfully. But the screen never came on again showing 'No signal'. So in the end, I had to shut it down by holding the physical power button depressed for a couple of seconds.

After this all seemed good and the PC and Windows started up just fine with no issues. Still, I figured it might be a good idea to check my disks as well as running sfc /scannow to make sure I didn't end up with any corrupt files as a result of the "hard" shutdown.

No disk issues found but running sfc /scannow gave me the normal message corrupt files were found that couldn't be fixed. I then tried Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth as well as Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:L:\sources\install.wim:1 with and without the /limitaccess switch but still no go. Ended at about 90% throwing error 3017 and telling me the requested operation failed and that a system reboot is required to roll back changes made.

Here's CBS.log as well as dism.log. Did find some info about a file called storport.sys in the CBS log. Not really sure what that file/driver does though let alone how to fix it if it indeed is corrupt.

I'm on Win 10 1803 Build 17134.286 with all the latest MS fixes applied as of today.

Many thanks in advance for any tips on how to sort this one!

:)

WebMaximus, Sep 26, 2018
  2. RejZoR Win User

Can't get SFC and DISM to work anymore on Win10

Ok, can someone help me out because this crap is starting to piss me off. There was once a time when you could simply run SFC and DISM to check Windows files integrity and if there were any problems found with the local files, Windows repaired it automatically. The reason why I want to run this is because I'm getting stupendously huge amount of errors and warnings in Event Viewer, but I don't want to run refresh because it'll mess up tons of apps.

Commands I used:
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Fast forward few years and we now have glorious Windows 10. Trying to run the same tools, they find errors but stubbornly refuse to fix ANYTHING. What's the god damn point of it then?

Sfc finds issues but can't repair them and DISM constantly bitches how it can't find the source. All this used to work directly in Windows 7, but in Win 10, nothing. This was one of the best features to get OS back in good state and they go and ruin it. Because Microsoft!

I've checked this thread:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...sfc-failed-to-repair?forum=win10itprohardware

Nothing worked. And they keep mentioning install.wim where my Windows image downloaded from Microsoft itself! only carries install.esd which I can't seem to use with anything.

I've also tried this tool:
    https://dismgui.codeplex.com/releases/view/133331

Which again wants .wim file and refuses to work with esd.

RejZoR, Sep 26, 2018
  3. RejZoR Win User
    How to get damn DISM to work?

Thx guys, I'll compress this data into a blog post. For all the so called guides I've read, not a single one mentioned it has to be WIM file (some listed even ESD which clearly doesn't work) or that certain ISO images don't work with DISM.

After I've done DISM thingie, SFC also managed to repair stuff. Which is what I've needed here.

RejZoR, Sep 26, 2018
  4. dsmith888 Win User

sfc and dism fail

Sfc /scannow and DISM /Online fails

My Lenovo T400 with Windows 10 version 1511 works just fine. But I do find that these 2 commands fail me. Logs are attached. I do want to preserve some applications that I have installed so suggestions on how I can repair or upgrade would be appreciated. It's my understanding dism must be functional to upgrade the OS.

1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /?

dsmith888, Sep 26, 2018
Thema:

sfc and dism fail

1. sfc and dism fail - Similar Threads - sfc dism fail

2. Corrupted data and failed SFC, DISM, and CHKDISK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted data and failed SFC, DISM, and CHKDISK: I seem to have files that cannot be fixed no matter what I try. Things I've tried: - sfc /scannow many times, each time stopping at 17% and saying the following: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation - DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth....
  3. Corrupted data and failed SFC, DISM, and CHKDISK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted data and failed SFC, DISM, and CHKDISK: I seem to have files that cannot be fixed no matter what I try. Things I've tried: - sfc /scannow many times, each time stopping at 17% and saying the following: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation - DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth....
  4. Corrupted data and failed SFC, DISM, and CHKDISK

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. DISM and SFC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM and SFC: Greetings, I am asking for some guidance regarding the above Windows features. I ask, knowing that perhaps there is no concrete answer to my question. Let me set it up. I was trying to unfreeze a friend's machine. It was his second machine and hadn't been used in months. He...
  6. sfc fails dism source fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc fails dism source fails: Windows 10 1803 Workgroup Tried all 3 and failed Have downloaded 1803 iso and mounted and shows as F:\ i see F:\sources\boot.wim have tried to run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:F:\Sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image...
  7. windows update fails, DISM fails SFC fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update fails, DISM fails SFC fails: Initially windows update failed to update. I ran SFC and it failed saying some files were corrupted and the CBS log had a message that it was unable to update fhengine.dll. DISM online gave the below. Any help ? Clean virus scan. Thanks C:\Windows\system32>DISM.exe...
  8. Sfc /scannow and DISM /Online fails

Sfc /scannow and DISM /Online fails: My Lenovo T400 with Windows 10 version 1511 works just fine. But I do find that these 2 commands fail me. Logs are attached. I do want to preserve some applications that I have installed so suggestions on how I can repair or upgrade would be appreciated. It's my understanding...
  9. DISM and SFC

DISM and SFC: I posted in the Win 8 forum but saw I should have posted here. I read the corrective material in Win 8 as to how to fix this missing or corrupted files issue but either it is over my level or it is too difficult for me. I have run both programs and rebooted. i have run in...
  10. Sfc/dism

Sfc/dism: SFC stops at 22% and cannot complete. DISM returns "The specified buffer contains ill-formed data." RESOLVED via a Windows 10 refresh second attempt that succeeded after the first would not allow files to be retained. After again creating an ISO file, the second...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. The specific buffer contains ill-formed data Windows 10 1903