Windows 10: SFC can’t fix corrupted Windows file, manual replacement doesn’t fix

Discus and support SFC can’t fix corrupted Windows file, manual replacement doesn’t fix in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently set up a new Windows 10 PC (then v20H2), and whilst customizing it, I replaced the default new email sound (C:\Windows\Media\Windows Notify... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Noc, Jun 6, 2021.

1. NOC
    Noc Win User

SFC can’t fix corrupted Windows file, manual replacement doesn’t fix

I recently set up a new Windows 10 PC (then v20H2), and whilst customizing it, I replaced the default new email sound (C:\Windows\Media\Windows Notify Email.wav) with the Win8.1 version, which I like better. However, I did this by overwriting the original Win10 audio file with the Win8.1 one, rather than just adding the Win8.1 file to the same directory and renaming it (Windows Notify Email_Win8.1.wav or whatever). Turns out that was a mistake Ive since updated Windows to v21H1 (19043.1023). Earlier today I ran SFC /scannow for the first time on this system, and it found corrupted files but was unable to fix some of them. In the CBS log I find this: Code: 2021-06-06 02:39:15, Info CSI 00000217 Hashes for file member [l:24]'Windows Notify Email.wav' do not match. Expected: {l:32 ml:33 b:b04f63d689ae7d627a5dc7895bbe53fb3bf470a43c4f1f6339dd4ab8890ffa6f}. Actual: {l:32 b:7897e75ba5b52a8e53431e7af5758a84acdf2d50d6d2a9dd2d90fee0034e11c0}. 2021-06-06 02:39:15, Info CSI 00000218 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24]'Windows Notify Email.wav' of Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Sounds, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch 2021-06-06 02:39:15, Info CSI 00000219 Hashes for file member [l:24]'Windows Notify Email.wav' do not match. Expected: {l:32 ml:33 b:b04f63d689ae7d627a5dc7895bbe53fb3bf470a43c4f1f6339dd4ab8890ffa6f}. Actual: {l:32 b:7897e75ba5b52a8e53431e7af5758a84acdf2d50d6d2a9dd2d90fee0034e11c0}. 2021-06-06 02:39:15, Info CSI 0000021a [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24]'Windows Notify Email.wav' of Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Sounds, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch 2021-06-06 02:39:15, Info CSI 0000021b [SR] This component was referenced by [l:154]'Microsoft-Windows-Client-Desktop-Required-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.19041.1023.ACD49602CE22B8D2FE76CB65181A0F3C34476C610F7967574610C8CF843FB4AB' Heres a rundown of everything I tried next: I ran sfc /scannow multiple times, but the error never went away.I then ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, followed by dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth, which found no component store corruption.Then some more sfc /scannow passes; still corrupted.CBS.log then mentioned something about the version in the store is also corrupted.I downloaded the 21H1 Media Creation Tool, which I used to download a fresh Win10 v21H1 ISO, which I mounted to I:\.I ran dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:I:\sources\install.esd /limitaccess. Completed successfully.dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth. Clean bill of health for the component store.sfc /scannow, several passes. Still doesnt fix it.Maybe if I replace the file manually?I extracted the Windows\Media\Windows Notify Email.wav straight from the new ISOs install.esd, and copied it over the corrupted file on my drive. Successful replacement, no errors of any kind.sfc /scannow. Still corrupted, SFC still cant fix. (Thats when I took the above CBS.log excerpt.)I tried deleting the affected file from C:\Windows\Media (actually I just moved it to my desktop).sfc /scannow gave the same error, and weirdly, CBS.log said the same thing as ever hash mismatch, rather than file is missing or similar. (Didnt download/replace a new copy.)Incidentally, I checked the C:\Windows\Media folder permissions and enabled full control for TrustedInstaller. Didnt change anything.(Not mentioned: Several reboots throughout all this, just to be safe.) Im out of ideas. Even manually replacing the allegedly corrupted file with a copy directly from a brand-new ISO doesnt work. Even weirder, when I run the file through a hash tool, it gives me the exact same hash (SHA256) that the CBS log says SFC is looking for (b04a6f), rather than the actual one. As far as I can tell, its a perfectly good copy, yet SFC keeps flagging it as corrupted. And I refuse to do something drastic like resetting my PC, undoing weeks of work setting it up (lots of apps & configurations), just to get SFC to stop tripping over one measly little 160 KB .wav file. Any help in figuring this out would be really appreciated. (All system specs in the My Computer tab thingy are current.)

:)

2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

SFC can’t fix corrupted Windows file, manual replacement doesn’t fix [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Jun 6, 2021
  3. SFC scanning is not fixing the corrupted files & how to replace it?

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some

of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For

example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not

supported in offline servicing scenarios.

.... this massage is appeared after completion of SFC verification . how to replace the corrupted files?

Swapnil Daji Patil, Jun 6, 2021
  4. axe0 Win User

SFC Finds Corrupt Files but is Unable to Fix

When you get this error it means that the System File Check a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection simply could add/repair missing or corrupted files or other problems with these files.

If you get this error you should try the following a few times:
    • sfc/scannow
    • reboot
    • sfc/scannow
    Only when after a few times sfc/scannow still hasn't solved it, then you could try DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

A reboot is necessary for sfc in order to try to fix the problems, it usually takes a few tries for sfc to solve the problems.

axe0, Jun 6, 2021
Thema:

1. SFC can’t fix corrupted Windows file, manual replacement doesn’t fix - Similar Threads - SFC can’t fix

2. unsure how to manually fix corrupt files from using sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unsure how to manually fix corrupt files from using sfc /scannow: after fixing a BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO bsod this morning via uninstalling latest quality update 2023-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems and running the "sfc /scannow" command, ive been getting this response: Windows Resource...
  3. unsure how to manually fix corrupt files from using sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unsure how to manually fix corrupt files from using sfc /scannow: after fixing a BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO bsod this morning via uninstalling latest quality update 2023-06 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems and running the "sfc /scannow" command, ive been getting this response: Windows Resource...
  4. unsure how to manually fix corrupt files from using sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fix sfc /scannow corrupt file "vmbusr.sys"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix sfc /scannow corrupt file "vmbusr.sys"?: I was trying to scan my PC by Command Prompt using sfc /scannow and got hit by the message that Windows unfortunately cannot fix my corrupt file. I've tried everything to fix that by using all the combination of CHKDSK & DISM prompt, installing third party app like MiniTool...
  6. SFC can’t fix corrupted Windows file, manual replacement doesn’t fix

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC can’t fix corrupted Windows file, manual replacement doesn’t fix: I recently set up a new Windows 10 PC (then v20H2), and whilst customizing it, I replaced the default new email sound (C:\Windows\Media\Windows Notify Email.wav) with the Win8.1 version, which I like better. However, I did this by overwriting the original Win10 audio file...
  7. SFC cannot fix corrupted files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SFC cannot fix corrupted files: Hello, I run sfc on a regular bases and now, for the first time, get the answer that some corrupted file could not be fixed. I tried chkdsk AND Dism-scan, but no change. Then I ran sfc in save mode but no change. What to do? Thanks Win10 Pro, 64 bit, all uptodate,...
  8. Windows SFC unable to fix corrupt files.

Windows SFC unable to fix corrupt files.: Long Story Short: I had some issues with an application on Windows 7, (Error code 0xc0000005) and someone suggested me to reinstall my Windows or upgrade. (I was going to update to Windows 10 anyway so I thought this is a good reason.). Still, the error persists. The same...
  9. SFC scanning is not fixing the corrupted files & how to replace it?

SFC scanning is not fixing the corrupted files & how to replace it?: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios. .......
  10. SFC can't fix corrupted files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC can't fix corrupted files: I just got this problem where windows search does not function (I do not have cortana, using dutch windows). So i thaught i could fix it with SFC /scannow. But with this scan came the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix someof...