Windows 10: sfc dism dismal - maybe this can help someone else

Discus and support sfc dism dismal - maybe this can help someone else in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Tried an in-place upgrade from 1803 to 1903 but it kept failing with "...failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Chakonari, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Chakonari Win User

sfc dism dismal - maybe this can help someone else

Tried an in-place upgrade from 1803 to 1903 but it kept failing with "...failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation".

Uninstalled anti-virus and several other old tools. Updated all drivers and BIOS/UEFI. Still same error.

sfc couldn't fix errors and dism never found the source file.

Closer look at CBS.log showed a hash error for a manifest file, that was not in the install.wim.

So I downloaded all the updates that Windows had done and started unpacking them to look for the file (tedious). Found it ... yayyy. But could I rename or delete it in WinSXS/Manifest? No! Tried everything with permissions and ownership.

In the end I booted from a Windows installation flash drive. Moved on to the command prompt, renamed the offensive file and copied the one with the expected hash that I had extracted from one of the update cab files.

Rebooted Windows - no more corruptions or complaints from sfc.

Quickly did a system backup and will try the upgrade from 1803 to 1903 tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

:)

Chakonari, Sep 7, 2019
  2. RejZoR Win User

How to get damn DISM to work?

Thx guys, I'll compress this data into a blog post. For all the so called guides I've read, not a single one mentioned it has to be WIM file (some listed even ESD which clearly doesn't work) or that certain ISO images don't work with DISM.

After I've done DISM thingie, SFC also managed to repair stuff. Which is what I've needed here.

RejZoR, Sep 7, 2019
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Can't get SFC and DISM to work anymore on Win10

Ok, can someone help me out because this crap is starting to piss me off. There was once a time when you could simply run SFC and DISM to check Windows files integrity and if there were any problems found with the local files, Windows repaired it automatically. The reason why I want to run this is because I'm getting stupendously huge amount of errors and warnings in Event Viewer, but I don't want to run refresh because it'll mess up tons of apps.

Commands I used:
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Fast forward few years and we now have glorious Windows 10. Trying to run the same tools, they find errors but stubbornly refuse to fix ANYTHING. What's the god damn point of it then?

Sfc finds issues but can't repair them and DISM constantly bitches how it can't find the source. All this used to work directly in Windows 7, but in Win 10, nothing. This was one of the best features to get OS back in good state and they go and ruin it. Because Microsoft!

I've checked this thread:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...sfc-failed-to-repair?forum=win10itprohardware

Nothing worked. And they keep mentioning install.wim where my Windows image downloaded from Microsoft itself! only carries install.esd which I can't seem to use with anything.

I've also tried this tool:
    CodePlex Archive

Which again wants .wim file and refuses to work with esd.

RejZoR, Sep 7, 2019
  4. OneMoar Win User

How to get damn DISM to work?

you need to run DISM first before running SFC
    SFC query's the local component stores to make repairs
    DISM is targeted for rebuilding the component stores and a offline image the 'live' section is still handled by SFC in some cases
    except on windows 8.1 and up because they changed it
    but only for certain files and only if x part of the store is corrupt
    so yea pretty confusing eh

OneMoar, Sep 7, 2019
Thema:

1. sfc dism dismal - maybe this can help someone else - Similar Threads - sfc dism dismal

2. Neither SFC not DISM can repair Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Neither SFC not DISM can repair Windows: "sfc /scannow" command fails to repair installation with error:"Failed to load package: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~22621.755.1.4 [HRESULT = 0x80070017 - ERROR_CRC]""dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" does not help either, asks for source files -...
  3. DISM and SFC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM and SFC: Greetings, I am asking for some guidance regarding the above Windows features. I ask, knowing that perhaps there is no concrete answer to my question. Let me set it up. I was trying to unfreeze a friend's machine. It was his second machine and hadn't been used in months. He...
  4. The strangest audio issue - maybe someone here can help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The strangest audio issue - maybe someone here can help?: I'm not sure i'm posing this question in the right place so feel free to tell me to go to another sub with it if there's somewhere else I might find answers. That said, I've connected my PC running Windows 10 with the latest updates installed to my Sony Bravia x900f and i'm...
  5. Maybe someone can help me with my BSOD's

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Maybe someone can help me with my BSOD's: Good day or evening.. so in the past 2-3 Weeks i would say i had lots and lots of Blue Screens, not just the normal type, i actually didn't do anything on my PC and it crashed all of a sudden with different reasons Windows 10 and i am really afraid that after not even a...
  6. Can you run SFC without DISM???

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you run SFC without DISM???: I am curious, before I go wandering out in the mine field, is it advisable to run the System File Checker tool without having first run the DISM tool??? My copy of DISM doesn't seem to have the "Repair Image" function, but I would still like to check the System Files to see...
  7. Maybe someone here will help

Maybe someone here will help: submitted by /u/theubusu [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/grt5wa/maybe_someone_here_will_help/
  8. Maybe someone can help me

Maybe someone can help me: I have a ssd where my windows is on and my hdd. I discovered today that there were some random folders on my hdd. I cleaned some of them which didnt make sense, but there were 2 folders system and system64. Anyone know why they are there? There was also some thing called Mono...
  9. DISM and SFC

DISM and SFC: I posted in the Win 8 forum but saw I should have posted here. I read the corrective material in Win 8 as to how to fix this missing or corrupted files issue but either it is over my level or it is too difficult for me. I have run both programs and rebooted. i have run in...
  10. Sfc/dism

Sfc/dism: SFC stops at 22% and cannot complete. DISM returns "The specified buffer contains ill-formed data." RESOLVED via a Windows 10 refresh second attempt that succeeded after the first would not allow files to be retained. After again creating an ISO file, the second...