Windows 10: SFC errors - how to identify/fix?

Discus and support SFC errors - how to identify/fix? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; As one (not particularly hopeful) step in trouble-shooting a problem (Cortana not opening reliably) I used sfc /scannow from an elevated command. At... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Terrypin, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Terrypin Win User

SFC errors - how to identify/fix?

As one (not particularly hopeful) step in trouble-shooting a problem (Cortana not opening reliably) I used sfc /scannow from an elevated command. At its conclusion I got this message:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."

I opened that log file - but it's 52,000 lines long! How could a user be expected to isolate it from that? More important, what are suggested ways for me to proceed please? Apart from ignoring the unidentified problem(s).

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Jul 13, 2016

2. How do I identify and fix registry errors in Windows 10

Jim,

What problems have you encountered that you think might be resolved by fixing registry errors

`~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Jul 13, 2016
  3. How do I identify and fix registry errors in Windows 10

How do I identify and fix registry errors in Windows 10

JimHelton_721, Jul 13, 2016
  4. Terrypin Win User

Meanwhile I thought I'd search that huge log file for the string 'cannot repair' in my text editor. These were the only two lines, almost identical. Do they provide the experts with any clues I can pursue please?

2016-07-14 16:07:10, Info CSI 00005561 [SR] Cannot
    repair member file [l:10]"opencl.dll" of microsoft-windows-RemoteFX-clientVM-RemoteFXWDDMDriver-WOW64-C, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

2016-07-14 16:07:10, Info CSI 0000555e [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:10]"opencl.dll" of microsoft-windows-RemoteFX-clientVM-RemoteFXWDDMDriver-WOW64-C, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

Searching my OS drive I found three examples of the (implicated ?) file, all different sizes:

OpenCLDLL C:\Windows\$ystem32 98 KB 17/06/2016 00:16

opencl.dll
    C:\WindowsRWinSxSKamdf?evgwddmd?1.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_5fcf238??52df0d7
    34 KB 13/02/2016 18:13

opencl.dll
    C:\WindowskWinSxSRwow?Lmicrosoft-windows-r..mddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22
    102 KB 17/06/2016 00:16

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Jul 13, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Hi Terrypin,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

The opencl.dll is a known issue, kinda a bug with SFC, it is quite easy to resolve it but it is not harmful and does not affect anything on the system *Smile

In many cases this issue starts due to driver updates from Nvidia, these driver updates replaces the opencl.dll from Windows with their own (newer) version.
    In other cases I'm not sure how it happens.

6. topgundcp Win User
    It's best to delete the CBS.log + Dism.log before running sfc or dism commands. Windows will create a brand new log file for each which contains only the latest error/problem.

NOTE: CBS.log sometimes is locked by tiworker.exe process, you'd need to keep trying until it's deleted.

topgundcp, Jul 13, 2016
  7. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks both, appreciate those helpful (and rather reassuring!) replies.

Terry, UK

Terrypin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SFC errors - how to identify/fix? - Similar Threads - SFC errors identify

2. How to fix the troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix the troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem: I want to solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-the-troubleshooting-couldnt-identify/039f8932-0094-467c-9fa7-b9eebc499117
  3. How to fix the troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix the troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem: I want to solve this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-the-troubleshooting-couldnt-identify/039f8932-0094-467c-9fa7-b9eebc499117
  4. I found some errors on SFC scan. How to fix it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I found some errors on SFC scan. How to fix it?: InternalOpenPackage failed for Package_for_KB3025096~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.4.1.0 [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]Failed to internally open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE]Failed to create open package. [HRESULT = 0x800f0805 -...
  5. BSOD - Happens Everyday - How it be identified and fixed?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Happens Everyday - How it be identified and fixed?: How do I fix this? Well after some stability, the BSOD errors have returned. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhWtiZ6KAP11hEBvnEwiSTDWET2A?e=Zn6I4M https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhWtiZ6KAP11hEGZerJg0ILzCnIY https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhWtiZ6KAP11hEIkXJABfk9XW00Y?e=wEPbgF Recent dump files...
  6. sfc scan fixes errors - or not?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    sfc scan fixes errors - or not?: windows 10 pro 19041.329 version 2004 windows started acting wonky on me necessitating a cold reset of the system, whether this was due to windows being windows, or due to system corruption, i wasn't sure. so i ran SFC /scannow to check my files, and each time i ran it, it...
  7. How to fix SFC Scannow Corrupted files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to fix SFC Scannow Corrupted files: Hello, Being a novice with computers I thought to ask you all before I try something which may make things worse. I've neglected to tun SFC Scannow for a while and I've now fun it a few times as Administrator. I got the "Some corrupted files could not be fixed" result. The...
  8. Identifying issues found in sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Identifying issues found in sfc /scannow: Hi, I'm doing some PC troubleshooting. Windows found some errors when I ran the system file checker. I ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth followed by sfc /scannow in an administrative cmd. I've attached the CBS and SFCdetails. I'm hoping somebody can help...
  9. fix sfc errors manually from CBS.log

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    fix sfc errors manually from CBS.log: I ran sfc /scannow and this is the error I'm getting. The CBS.log is linked below CBS.log - Google Drive 26626
  10. SFC reveals errors that cannot be fixed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC reveals errors that cannot be fixed: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios. I've...