Windows 10: SFC failure to complete

Discus and support SFC failure to complete in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; As part of my effort to cure problems with booting I have been trying to run SFC/SCANNOW but it fails every time with a notice that 'Resource... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by clayto, Sep 25, 2018.

1. clayto Win User

SFC failure to complete

As part of my effort to cure problems with booting I have been trying to run SFC/SCANNOW but it fails every time with a notice that 'Resource protection cannot carry out the command', usually about half way through but recently after it after the scan had reached 95%. How can I repair it?

:)

clayto, Sep 25, 2018
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond SFC failure to complete :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 25, 2018
  3. Fix Laptop after upgrade to Windows 10 now slow or freezing completely

Hi Marina,

What is the error that you see on Startup? Provide complete and exact error code or message.

I suggest that you run the SFC scan and check if it helps to improve the Computer performance. Follow the steps :

• Press Windows + X
    • Click Command prompt (Admin)
    • Type sfc /scannow
    • Press Enter

Vinod Archak, Sep 25, 2018
  4. SFC failure to complete

sfc /scannow will not complete- stops at 73%

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and appreciate the troubleshooting methods performed to resolve the issue on your own.

DNSAPI.dll is a Windows DLL file. DLL is the abbreviation for
    Dynamic Link Library. DLL files are needed by programs or web browser extensions, because they contain program code, data, and resources.
    DNSAPI.dll is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

I suggest you to try running SFC scan again and check if the scan gets stuck at 73%. If it happens, I suggest you to perform
    DISM scan by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Windows corruption errors may prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing. For example, an update might not install if a system file is damaged. The
    DISM scan or System Update Readiness tool may help you to fix some Windows corruption errors.

Step 1: Open an Administrator command prompt
    window by

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Command Prompt (Admin) option.

• Click on Yes and continue. Provide administrator password if prompted.

• Check if it says Administrator: Command Prompt at the top of the command prompt window.

Step 2: Type the following commands in the
    CMD Prompt:

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

After completing DISM scan, I suggest you to perform
    SFC scan
    on the computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

SFC failure to complete

1. SFC failure to complete - Similar Threads - SFC failure complete

2. Missing Microsoft Store and Sfc failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Microsoft Store and Sfc failure: Just today I noticed I couldn't open any Microsoft App or even Microsoft Store itself and that Microsoft Store was missing in the apps list.No fix helped, and I really don't want to reset Windows 11.I decided to try running sfc /scannow and DISM RestoreHealth but they both...
  3. Missing Microsoft Store and Sfc failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Microsoft Store and Sfc failure: Just today I noticed I couldn't open any Microsoft App or even Microsoft Store itself and that Microsoft Store was missing in the apps list.No fix helped, and I really don't want to reset Windows 11.I decided to try running sfc /scannow and DISM RestoreHealth but they both...
  4. Failure SFC /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failure SFC /scannow: Hello, I am having several BSoD errors like 0XC000021a and some applications give me the error 0xc000012f for example C: \ Windows \ SYSTEM32 \ AVICAP32.DLL is not designed to run on windows ... Searching in Google I read that one of the solutions was to do the sfc / scannow....
  5. Sfc /scannow gave me a failure to fix issues?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sfc /scannow gave me a failure to fix issues?: I ran Sfc /scannow and it said there were errors it could not fix. Can someone interpret the CBS.log and tell me what I can do to clean it up? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TzuiqXr6_Sf1LE63WkPV9XbwepEzDek8...
  6. SFC stalls at 35% complete

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC stalls at 35% complete: Using latest Win 10 pro Insider update #18912. SFC stall at 35% when run the command prompt/admin.*Mad Thoughts? 134192
  7. SFC failure to complete

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC failure to complete: As part of my effort to cure problems with booting I have been trying to run SFC/SCANNOW but it fails every time with a notice that 'Resource protection cannot carry out the command', usually about half way through but recently after it after the scan had reached 95%. How can...
  8. SFC unable to complete file moving/repairs

SFC unable to complete file moving/repairs: Running Windows 10 1709 x64 may update. There are no hardware or drive corruption issues as I've done low level drive tests to confirm this. SMART shows perfect scores, etc. Trying to complete SFC but the SFC logs have questionable/nebulous answers for why it won't complete....
  9. SFC Failure - awaiting repair pending a restart

SFC Failure - awaiting repair pending a restart: I‘m attempting to upgrade a 1607 Windows 10 Pro system to 1703. (I’ve successfully done four of my six systems.) The upgrade appears to complete successfully, but there are two significant problems. I can no longer connect to my NAS, or any other computer on my network, and I...
  10. sfc and dism don't complete successfully

sfc and dism don't complete successfully: Hi, recently on my pc I have added a new ssd drive, moved the os to such drive, reorganized the partitions among ssd and hdd, moved files and programs accordingly, changed some drive letters. Everything seems to work fine, however when I try to check windows health something...