Windows 10: sfc or chkdsk - which should be first in order of maintenance?

Discus and support sfc or chkdsk - which should be first in order of maintenance? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Every week I run standard maintenance procedures. First, I run a chkdsk and then reboot to complete the process. Then, I use sfc /scannow to verify the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ImreNeuwirth, Mar 14, 2021.

1. sfc or chkdsk - which should be first in order of maintenance?

Every week I run standard maintenance procedures. First, I run a chkdsk and then reboot to complete the process. Then, I use sfc /scannow to verify the system files When required, I use DISM to repair. Since the DOS days, chkdsk was the utility for disk and file allocation space integrity.

I found no-clear cut information. Can you please help to clarify?

:)

ImreNeuwirth, Mar 14, 2021
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Mar 14, 2021
  3. Clean windows 10 Install problems with disk errors

Hi Voowoo,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, I suggest you to perform the below given methods and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps to run System maintenance troubleshooter to resolve your issue.

• Type troubleshooting in search box and press enter.

• Click view all on the top left pane.

• Click on system maintenance and follow the on screen instructions.

I would also suggest you to back up all important files and data and perform Chkdsk.

• Open cmd with administrative privileges and run a chkdsk scan.

CHKDSK /F /R
    Disclaimer: Data available on bad sectors might be lost when chkdsk tries to repair your hard disc.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Mar 14, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

sfc or chkdsk - which should be first in order of maintenance?

dalchina, Mar 14, 2021
Thema:

sfc or chkdsk - which should be first in order of maintenance?

1. sfc or chkdsk - which should be first in order of maintenance? - Similar Threads - sfc chkdsk should

2. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?: Ensure the process is clean and perfect, I want to know what I should run first. Is there a correct order?Update: Edited my subject and description to make it neater....
  3. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?: Ensure the process is clean and perfect, I want to know what I should run first. Is there a correct order?Update: Edited my subject and description to make it neater....
  4. What should I run first? sfc, DISM or chkdsk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. which should i do first? defragment or optimize?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    which should i do first? defragment or optimize?: does it matter which one happens first? and how do i get rid of duplicate files, doesn't one of these do that? defragmenting and optimizing should be enough without a third party involved. right?...
  6. which should i do first? defragment or optimize?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    which should i do first? defragment or optimize?: does it matter which one happens first? and how do i get rid of duplicate files, doesn't one of these do that? defragmenting and optimizing should be enough without a third party involved. right?...
  7. Ordered new latop. Should i update to 1903 first?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Ordered new latop. Should i update to 1903 first?: I just ordered a new laptop and will be home in a few days. Windows 10 Home included, but i am not sure which version of windows 10, its either 1803 or 1809. Should i update it to 1903 before doing anything else, like installing games, apps and etc ? 138822
  8. Chkdsk and sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk and sfc /scannow: For the most part I use 'chkdsk' in Windows 10 and 7 thinking that this helps prevent problems with my HDD and the Windows file system. Recently after a black screen and Windows error message on another Windows 10 computer I tried 'sfc /scannow' but it looks like 'sfc...
  9. DISM vs SFC first? What should I run first on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 News
    DISM vs SFC first? What should I run first on Windows 10?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Should I run SFC or DISM first to repair file or system image corruptions on my Windows 10 computer? Most websites suggest you running one or both of these tools. When should you run each or both? This post tries [...] This post DISM vs SFC first? What...
  10. Which should I install first?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which should I install first?: I just installed W10 and now confused which I installed first. Mother Board Driver or Video Card Driver? *Think*Think*Think 119868