Windows 10: SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log

Discus and support SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I ran /sfc scannow and it told me that there were some corrupt system files but it was unable to repair them. It told to me to look in the CBS.log so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JesseDe Haan, Jun 21, 2020.

1. SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log

I ran /sfc scannow and it told me that there were some corrupt system files but it was unable to repair them. It told to me to look in the CBS.log so I did. I could not find any immediate red flags so here it is.

https://hastebin.com/jeyisadigu

:)

JesseDe Haan, Jun 21, 2020
  2. phrab Win User

Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files

I've been getting some event errors lately, in particular 2 errors.

Date: 10/21/2019 8:54:17 AM
    Type: ErrorEvent: 1020Source: Microsoft-Windows-Perflib

The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer size was 34008 and the required size was 45368.

Date: 10/21/2019 2:07:45 PM
    Type: WarningEvent: 1008Source: Microsoft-Windows-Perflib

The Open procedure for service ".NETFramework" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscoree.dll" failed with error code The system cannot find the file specified.. Performance data for this service will not be available.

So I went to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rrupted-system and ran

sfc /scannow

I got the message:
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

I tried to follow the rest of the steps listed on the support page, but got lost in the details.

1. When I used an elevated Powershell & ran the suggested command, I got:

PS C:\> findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

out-file : Could not find a part of the path 'C:\%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt'.At line:1 char:1+ findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\s ...+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : OpenError: SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log :)) [Out-File], DirectoryNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : FileOpenFailure,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.OutFileCommand

2. I manually went to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS & opened CBS.log.There was so much detail that I couldn't follow what was corrupt. I've attached the log.

I would appreciate anyone telling me what files are corrupt & how to replace them. Thank you in advance!

phrab, Jun 21, 2020
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    SFC reports corrupt files that cannot be repaired

Hi Jay,

For to better assist you with the SFC reports issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Have you installed any Windows updates prior to this issue?
    • Please provide us a CBS logs for us to determine what is the file that cannot be repaired.
    To get the logs, please follow the steps below:

• Open a Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfclogs.txt”, then hit
      Enter. (This will create a sfclogs.txt file on your desktop).
    • Open the sfclogs.txt and check the result of SFC scan.
    Note: SFC cannot always fix corrupted files.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Jun 21, 2020
  4. SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log

SFC Corrupt Files

Nope, ran sfc /scannow and it stopped at 72%. The log file is attached.

Max0101010, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log

1. SFC says corrupt file but I can't find any in CBS.log - Similar Threads - SFC says corrupt

2. CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.: Hi,I run a C: backup about once a week. But before the backup, I run SFC /scannow. Sometimes I get "found corrupted files and they were repaired.So looking as the CBS Log file and can not find any repairs listed. I do a search in the CBS file for "corrupted" and it does not...
  3. CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.: Hi,I run a C: backup about once a week. But before the backup, I run SFC /scannow. Sometimes I get "found corrupted files and they were repaired.So looking as the CBS Log file and can not find any repairs listed. I do a search in the CBS file for "corrupted" and it does not...
  4. SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log: Hey, I have been having problems updating my computer for awhile pushing them off thinking nothing of it but just recently I was trying to install apps on MC Store and it would not download as well as my Windows Updates, giving me the error 0x800703f1. I did some research and...
  5. SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log: Hey, I have been having problems updating my computer for awhile pushing them off thinking nothing of it but just recently I was trying to install apps on MC Store and it would not download as well as my Windows Updates, giving me the error 0x800703f1. I did some research and...
  6. SFC not repairing file. HRESULT = 0x80070002 In CBS Log

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Help SFC /Scannow Found Corrupt Files CBS Log Attached

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help SFC /Scannow Found Corrupt Files CBS Log Attached: I will list all my system details below that are relevant unless more are requested. I keep getting an error when shutting my system down I use the Power > Shutdown method. I ran sfc /scannow to find the issue and found that there are corrupt files in my system. To counteract...
  8. SFC says it found and repaired corrupted files, but the log contradicts it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SFC says it found and repaired corrupted files, but the log contradicts it: I ran System File Checker in CMD and it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." However, when I opened the log to check which file it had repaired, there were no reports of any file being repaired. The only description of any...
  9. CBS log from SFC scan

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CBS log from SFC scan: after running sfc /scannow errors were found & this is where the results were found . I have no idea how to read this. https://1drv.ms/u/s!At73nWtbQSuIgbcKmbFBuM-QNwW_0Q?e=scbcIP...
  10. Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Understanding the CBS log & repairing corrupt files: I've been getting some event errors lately, in particular 2 errors. Date: 10/21/2019 8:54:17 AM Type: ErrorEvent: 1020Source: Microsoft-Windows-Perflib The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the...