Windows 10: SFC says it found and repaired corrupted files, but the log contradicts it

Discus and support SFC says it found and repaired corrupted files, but the log contradicts it in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I ran System File Checker in CMD and it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." However, when I opened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nevereveneverreally, Feb 25, 2021.

1. SFC says it found and repaired corrupted files, but the log contradicts it

I ran System File Checker in CMD and it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." However, when I opened the log to check which file it had repaired, there were no reports of any file being repaired. The only description of any type of repair in the log was this:

2021-02-25 17:26:06, Info CSI 000001e8 [SR] Repairing 0 components

2021-02-25 17:26:06, Info CSI 000001e9 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction

2021-02-25 17:26:06, Info CSI 000001ea [SR] Repair complete

The log ends right after that. I ran SFC again after restarting my computer and it said it found no integrity violations in any files, so what files did it repair before? Was it just an erroneous report?

submitted by /u/nevereveneverreally
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nevereveneverreally, Feb 25, 2021
  2. Riel Alc Win User

SFC reports corrupt files that cannot be repaired

Hi Jay,

For to better assist you with the SFC reports issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Have you installed any Windows updates prior to this issue?
    • Please provide us a CBS logs for us to determine what is the file that cannot be repaired.
    To get the logs, please follow the steps below:

• Open a Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfclogs.txt”, then hit
      Enter. (This will create a sfclogs.txt file on your desktop).
    • Open the sfclogs.txt and check the result of SFC scan.
    Note: SFC cannot always fix corrupted files.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Feb 25, 2021
  3. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Feb 25, 2021
  4. Louie Del Win User

SFC says it found and repaired corrupted files, but the log contradicts it

SFC cannot repair corrupt files

Hi,

When you’ve run the System File Check tool, it seems like it fails to repair the corrupted files due to a possible software conflict. To help us isolate this concern, we suggest that you perform a
    clean boot. This troubleshooting technique can help to identify if there are application that may cause the issue. Click
    here for the steps.

Once you’re in the clean boot state, try checking your computer if you’ll observe any unusual behavior while you navigate the system.

Note: After the troubleshooting, refer to this section: “How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting” on the same support
    article
    to boot the computer in normal setup once the issue has been resolved.

After you’ve booted in the normal mode, we suggest running again the
    SFC
    tool and also use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. These tools are commonly used to repair errors or any corrupted files. Click this
    Forum
    Article
    by ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP) for the instructions.

Let us know the outcome after performing the suggested steps.

Louie Del, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

SFC says it found and repaired corrupted files, but the log contradicts it

1. SFC says it found and repaired corrupted files, but the log contradicts it - Similar Threads - SFC says found

2. sfc /scannow found corrupt files but cant repair them.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow found corrupt files but cant repair them.: Hello,I am currently trying to play a game and when I launch it I get this error.23:35:56: Starting BattlEye Service... 23:36:00: Launching game... 23:36:01: Note: File blocks can be ignored if they don't cause problems with the game. 23:36:01: [INFO] Blocked loading of file:...
  3. sfc /scannow found corrupt files but cant repair them.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow found corrupt files but cant repair them.: Hello,I am currently trying to play a game and when I launch it I get this error.23:35:56: Starting BattlEye Service... 23:36:00: Launching game... 23:36:01: Note: File blocks can be ignored if they don't cause problems with the game. 23:36:01: [INFO] Blocked loading of file:...
  4. CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.: Hi,I run a C: backup about once a week. But before the backup, I run SFC /scannow. Sometimes I get "found corrupted files and they were repaired.So looking as the CBS Log file and can not find any repairs listed. I do a search in the CBS file for "corrupted" and it does not...
  5. CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CBS Log not showing any corrupted files after SFC scan found and repaired.: Hi,I run a C: backup about once a week. But before the backup, I run SFC /scannow. Sometimes I get "found corrupted files and they were repaired.So looking as the CBS Log file and can not find any repairs listed. I do a search in the CBS file for "corrupted" and it does not...
  6. SFC says it found and repaired a corrupted file, but the log contradicts it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SFC says it found and repaired a corrupted file, but the log contradicts it?: I ran System File Checker online in CMD and it said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them." However, when I opened the CBS log to check which file it had repaired, there were no reports of any file being repaired. The only description...
  7. SFC failed to repair corrupted files Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SFC failed to repair corrupted files Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but...: Hi, I have performed sfc /scannow to check the integrity of the system files as the system is taking much time to boot and the disk read time is getting higher and often encounters STOP ERROR memory management error. and came to know that, "Windows Resource Protection...
  8. sfc /scannow found corrupt files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sfc /scannow found corrupt files: Good evening, How to fix corrupt files that could not be repaired with sfc tool? I executed DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and gave me this error: "Error 0x800f081f, The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the...
  9. SFC found corrupt files that cannot be repaired but log file is clean

SFC found corrupt files that cannot be repaired but log file is clean: Hi, iam running sfc /scannow on a fresh windows 10 Pro 1607 installation and get every time the same output: found corrupt files...cannot be repaired... but when i analyze the cbs logfile there is no match when searching for "cannot repair". dism /online /cleanup-image...
  10. SFC Scan Found Corrupt Files...

SFC Scan Found Corrupt Files...: As the thread title states. However, my system is running and booting up as it should. This corruption has me concerned. Here's a screenshot of the CMD, after running scf /scannow. [img] I also ran the command, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Which...