Windows 10: SFC /scannow does not work - what to do??

Discus and support SFC /scannow does not work - what to do?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Greetings. After some troubble with my PC I wanted to restart in safe mode, but it can't do that. Breaks off and write something about a "hard crash",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burgurne, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

SFC /scannow does not work - what to do??

Greetings.
    After some troubble with my PC I wanted to restart in safe mode, but it can't do that. Breaks off and write something about a "hard crash", only the taskbar works, and I can also ust winkey+R and start regedit aso.

Because of this I wanted to run a "sfc /scannow", but that does not work either! It stops sometimes at 1% and sometimes at 2%.
    So what do I then do to get my system on its feet again?

:)

Burgurne, Feb 22, 2015

2. sfc /scannow does not work

Since you dont appear to be an insider if SFC fails the OS is severely wounded and usually needs a refresh or re-install

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 22, 2015
  3. JoeNamco Win User
    sfc /scannow does not work

Which build? as this is a know issue in the Preview builds

JoeNamco, Feb 22, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

It's a known problem that sfc doesn't work, and has been this way since the first releases.

You can't run in safe mode either, as the start menu won't work in the current incarnation. This will get fixed eventually, but right now not much you can do. You probably just have to re-install.

Mystere, Feb 22, 2015
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Hi Burgurne!

If you have the ISO for 9926 burned to DVD, you can try this. Substitute your DVD drive letter for "G:".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use ISO DVD from current build (i.e. 9926) for source (G*Smile

Run following at Admin CMD prompt:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Run time ~ 15-20 mins

Log file in c:\windows\logs\dism

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The full tutorial is here, bur this is the cmd line using a DVD.

DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8

Cheers! *Cool

f14tomcat, Feb 23, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 23, 2015
  7. Burgurne Win User
    I have now tried SFC /scannow again, and still a nogo.
    I have attached the sfcdetails.txt to this post as requested in the blue box in Option 5.

Any clue of what is wrong?

Burgurne, Feb 23, 2015
  8. adamf Win User

See post 2. It doesn't work in 10 preview and never has.

There should be a new build this week - I'd install that.

adamf, Feb 23, 2015
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Have you tried the DISM in my reply to you?

f14tomcat, Feb 23, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    Updating the component store will not help if you can't run sfc /scannow as it is sfc that replaces the objects that are actually used *Sad

adamf, Feb 23, 2015
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    Oh! I didn't know that. So the DISM process actually repairs the winsxs/backup dir?

f14tomcat, Feb 23, 2015
  12. adamf Win User
    Yes. sfc replaces corrupt system files by copying them from the component store. If the file is missing or corrupt in the component store it will fail. You can fix the component store with dism (either over internet or using an image). Then if you run sfc again it should work.

That's why people suggest running sfc, dism, sfc.

The trouble with TP is sfc doesn't work (only because of its preview status presumably).

adamf, Feb 23, 2015
  13. f14tomcat Win User

Thanks! That was always a gray area to me, the correlation... *Thumbs*Cool

f14tomcat, Feb 23, 2015
  14. Burgurne Win User
    I really don't think this is true, since Brink is trying to help, and if you look at the guide, Brink has put a screenshot up, showing the result of a sfc /scannow result.

Why even make a guide, if it does not work in Windows 10 at all? No, I do believe it should work.

Burgurne, Feb 23, 2015
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    Sorry, Burgurne, I have run the DISM and it repair 3 component store errors, but sfc /scannow still croaks at 2%.

See attached screen shot I just ran.

SFC /scannow does not work - what to do?? [​IMG]

Perhaps Brink's screenshot was from 8.1 or elsewhere. I have never been able to get SFC to finish on any TP build.

EDIT: Brink's screenshot was from 9860. If I'm not mistaken, the kernel was rewritten in 9926 and this may account for current failure.

f14tomcat, Feb 23, 2015
Thema:

1. SFC /scannow does not work - what to do?? - Similar Threads - SFC scannow does

2. SFC scannow not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC scannow not working: As some background, my laptop's been having problems for a while now. These problems include-- Being unable to install Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 Install error - 0x8007371b- Being unable to install Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for...
  3. SFC Scannow is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC Scannow is not working: When I try to enter the SFC Scannow command in command prompt it returns with "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". What would I do to fix this?I am also limited as Everytime I restart my PC it sends me to the automatic repair screen....
  4. SFC Scannow is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SFC Scannow is not working: When I try to enter the SFC Scannow command in command prompt it returns with "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service". What would I do to fix this?I am also limited as Everytime I restart my PC it sends me to the automatic repair screen....
  5. sfc /scannow not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow not working: Hello! Ive been facing this issue where "sfc /scannow" isnt working, whenever i try the command, i get "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." also, i tried DISM commands. The first "CheckHealth" didnt do anything, The second "ScanHealth" stopped at...
  6. “sfc /scannow” not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “sfc /scannow” not working: I tried to use “sfc/scannow” but it says that “windows resource protection could not start the repair service” is there any way I can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow-not-working/771a79b6-4c06-4790-be20-8943b556c669
  7. sfc /scannow does not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    sfc /scannow does not work: I have tried C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc config trustedinstaller start= auto [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow Windows Resource Protection...
  8. What if sfc /scannow doesn't work?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What if sfc /scannow doesn't work?: I accidentally deleted some system files. I ran sfc /scannow and got the following error message: Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 7% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs,...
  9. SFC /Scannow not working

SFC /Scannow not working: Hello Community; I have an HP desktop PC with an OS of Windows 10 Home. The PC started acting erratically, I was instructed to do a SFC /Scannow, which I did and an error showed up of 0x800f081f, which indicated CORRUPT files on the system. I then ( at CMD...
  10. Sfc scannow not working

Sfc scannow not working: My PC isn't working well recently, so i used the sfc /scannow command on command prompt. But it just got this error "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." Any help is appreciated about this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sfc /scannow does not start windows 10

2. What to do when sfc /scannow does not start Windows 10