Windows 10: sfc /scannow Errors, Now What?

Discus and support sfc /scannow Errors, Now What? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; OK, so sometimes possibly you're better off not knowing. Running Windows 10, 1909 and everything is functioning perfectly, or so I thought. No errors,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Homer712, May 4, 2021.

1. Homer712 Win User

sfc /scannow Errors, Now What?

OK, so sometimes possibly you're better off not knowing. Running Windows 10, 1909 and everything is functioning perfectly, or so I thought. No errors, nothing, not a single hiccup. Then I run sfc /scannow, maybe just because I'm curious, maybe too much time on my hands. In any event results of first run: Read here that sometimes you need to restart and run DISM and then sfc /scannow again, so I did. Results of second run: Did another search here and the suggestion was to run "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:F:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess" after mounting the Windows ISO image. Did that, results here: The only thing I see that I'm not sure of is that the DISM version is 10.0.18362.1379 and the Image version is 10.0.18363.1379. Could that be an issue? Also, I am running Matthew Wai's "preferences", could those be causing the errors. Prior to that I was running Sledgehammer and I know that there would be errors with DISM and sfc /scannow if that was active. It was completely uninstalled prior to using Matthes Wai's solution. If not, where do I go from here? Thanks.

:)

Homer712, May 4, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

sfc /scannow errors

Important thing to remember is that the SFC / SCANNOW cannot always fix all errors at once. It is quite often required to run SFC /SCANNOW several times.

I have often had a situation that only a third, fourth or fifth run has finally reported "No more errors".

This is how it should be done:

• SFC / SCANNOW
    • If SFC reports not all errors were fixed, reboot and run it again
    • SFC / SCANNOW
    • If SFC again reports not all errors were fixed, reboot and run it again
    • And so on
    Screenshot from the TenForums SFC tutorial:

sfc /scannow Errors, Now What? [​IMG]

Kari, May 5, 2021
  3. Steve C Win User
    SFC /SCANNOW Errors After Update

I've just updated a Windows 8.1 Pro PC to Windows 10 using the Techbench ISO which updated without any problems. However, I've just run sfc /scannow and it found errors it could not repair. I have managed to get sfc /scannow to run without errors - see what I did below:

1. Ran sfc /scannow which showed error "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them."
    2. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth which reported "The component store is repairable."
    3. Ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth which failed with Error: 0x800f081f "The source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."
    4. Mounted the W10 Techbench ISO and ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:G:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess which reported successfully "The restore operation completed successfully."
    5. Ran sfc /scannow wich completed successfully with report "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them."

Please advise:
    1. Why would sfc /scannow fail on a newly updated installation which ran sfc /scannow error free immediately before the upgrade?
    2. Why did I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO at step 4 above for Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth to work and will I have to use install.wim from the Techbench ISO every time I need to run this Dism command?
    3. How can I configure my PC so it has the correct install.wim file for the Dism command to work properly?

Steve C, May 5, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

sfc /scannow error repair

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate the efforts you have taken in trying to resolve this issue. I have analyzed the error logs that you have shared and I would suggest you follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command Prompt in the
      search bar
      on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, paste the following command and hit Enter:
      DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    4. Once the DISM command is executed, we would suggest you to run sfc /scannow again.

If the integrity violations are not repaired after running sfc scan, the best option will be performing a repair installation. A repair installation will repair all the corrupted files.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) and use it to perform a repair installation
    of Windows 10. We have a video that can show you how if you aren’t sure

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. sfc /scannow Errors, Now What? - Similar Threads - sfc scannow Errors

2. sfc/scannow error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc/scannow error: 00000253 Hashes for file member [l:14]'System.Web.dll' do not match. Expected: {l:20 b:47cb9b0ad80a6962723f7b601b7941971a388b19}. Actual: {l:20 b:f7d269889aa64c84ebb3f0c69c3705b046b7d751}.2023-07-01 07:32:49, Info CSI 00000254 [SR] Cannot repair member file...
  3. sfc /scannow error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow error: I'm running sfc /scannow regularly, and i am getting back wierd results. It seems I have problem with one file, sfc /scannow either finds it corrupt, and repairs it, or does not find any problem at all. 2023-03-18 08:24:08, Info CSI 000001ff [SR] Repairing 1 components...
  4. sfc /scannow error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow error: I'm running sfc /scannow regularly, and i am getting back wierd results. It seems I have problem with one file, sfc /scannow either finds it corrupt, and repairs it, or does not find any problem at all. 2023-03-18 08:24:08, Info CSI 000001ff [SR] Repairing 1 components...
  5. sfc /scannow errors

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sfc /scannow errors: Hi all, I will appreciate it if you can help me fix my system errors. I am attaching CBS, FRST, Addition text files. Thank you in advance. Regards. 166129
  6. sfc /scannow errors

in Windows 10 Support
    sfc /scannow errors: Hi all, I will appreciate it if you can help me fix my system errors. I am attaching CBS, FRST, Addition text files. Thank you in advance. Regards. 166129
  7. sfc /scannow error

sfc /scannow error: After recent cumulative update of July 9, I did cleaning and then sfc /scannow.see picture below [img] I did thrice sfc /scannow. But I am getting error always. I am unable to decode from CBS.log. I am attaching cbs.log. I will be thankful if anyone can help me how to go...
  8. SFC /scannow - errors

SFC /scannow - errors: Hey all! I recently upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago and for kicks I decided to run an SFC /scannow .. and It found a whole slew of errors! It's weird because I don't see anything wrong with the OS but I know there are according to the scanner. I ran it a few times,...
  9. sfc /scannow errors

sfc /scannow errors: I had a problem with chrome on windows 10, uninstalled it, new installer had malware on it. fixed it all up. system runs fine no problems. Decided to check sfc /scannow and got the corrupt files message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix...
  10. SFC /SCANNOW Error

SFC /SCANNOW Error: When trying to run SFC /SCANNOW the following error is generated: C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. Is this a knpown problem with solution? 20898