Windows 10: 'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install

Discus and support 'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I decided to run 'SFC /scannow' on my recent clean install of Windows 10 and was surprised that it reported so many errors that cannot be repaired. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RPmtl, Jun 14, 2016.

1. RPmtl Win User

'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install

I decided to run 'SFC /scannow' on my recent clean install of Windows 10 and was surprised that it reported so many errors that cannot be repaired. I installed on a 256GB Samsung Pro SSD. After trying a few recommended fixes that all failed I decided to do clean install on a second SSD which I just finished doing. The only thing I've done is install Win10 Pro from a USB flash drive, install the motherboard drivers and then let Windows do an update. The update also downloaded and installed the NVidia graphics driver. Then when I ran 'SFC /scannow' the errors were there. Many seem related to the openCL.dll as well as other files that seem related to the Nvidia driver.

I have 4 other PCs running Win10 and they all pass 'SFC /scannow' without any problems.

Have any other folks noticed anything strange about Nvidia drivers?

Next step is to do a refresh install and run 'SFC /scannow' before the video driver installs...

:)

RPmtl, Jun 14, 2016

2. sfc /scannow error

just for checking for any errors in my computer just like that. i had done this as well on my old computer and had that problem even after it had been formatted.

Saksham Goyal, Jun 14, 2016
  3. sfc /scannow error

sfc / scannow ----- ERROR

Subrata697, Jun 14, 2016
  4. RPmtl Win User

RPmtl, Jun 14, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    The Nvidia drivers replace this opencl.dll file by their own version, it certainly is a known issue that is easily fixed, though it is also an issue that doesn't do any harm to the system.

6. RPmtl Win User
    Do you know how to fix it on a system that's already installed??

I started over again with a clean install, but this time I disconnected the Ethernet cable, installed the basic motherboard drivers, installed the latest NVidia driver (368.39) that I had previously downloaded, and then turned off auto install device drivers in the Device Installation Settings. I then connected to the Web and proceeded with updates, etc..

Running Scannow currently reports no errors. From what I've read on that MS thread the error seems to be caused by allowing MS to install the NVidia driver, or perhaps it's the version of driver they use. But after installing the newest NVidia driver (368.39) the problem seems resolved.

Perhaps performance is not impacted. But I would prefer it if 'sfc /scannow' did not report problems that it cannot fix, nor can the various DISM commands.

RPmtl, Jun 14, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    I have helped fixing this issue many times, but it can return if a Nvidia driver is being installed again afterwards.
    I believe Microsoft had fixed this issue some time again, but I'm not 100% certain though.

8. RPmtl Win User

Just read more about configuring "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to access a mounted Windows 10 ISO:

Dism problem - Windows 10 Forums

Perhaps that will work as DISM previously resulted in "The source files could not be found.".

Seems easy enough ...

PS: Just saw your reply AXE. I'll see if the above fix works and also look for previous replies to similar reports of the same issue on this forum. Thank you for helping 'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install :)

RPmtl, Jun 14, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    What fix do you mean? I did not yet post any fix/suggestion in this thread.

10. OldMike65 Win User
    I've never seen this Opencl.dll issue fixed yet myself, its still the only problem sfc finds on my computer for many months. What sfc will do is delete 2 files from Nvidia, then replace them with the MS files dated 10/30/15 which are VERY OLD. *Sad

OldMike65, Jun 14, 2016
  11. RPmtl Win User
    You wrote "I have helped fixing this issue many times" which pointed me to searching more on this forum as you made me realize that I was finding an old problem. I downloaded the ISO and ran the recommended DISM command to use that ISO to do the repairs and it worked.
    After a reboot I ran 'sfc / scannow' and all is well*Thumbs

There were a lot of other reported file errors so this fixed them too. I'll now reinstall the NVIDIA driver and know that it will restore it's own (newer) version of OpenCL.DLL which 'sfc / scannow' will complain about. But at least I now know what is causing the issue and all the file errors other than that one are fixed.

As OldMike65 said - it's still an unresolved issue and I'm sure someone will post any fix on this forum when/if that happens.

RPmtl, Jun 14, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Oh you meant that way *Smile

Glad to hear.

13. RPmtl Win User

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the NVidia 368.39 driver to see what would happen when I again tried to run 'sfc /scannow'. This time it simply reported that it found and fixed an error - which is a LOT better then what was happening previously where it was unable to repair whatever it found. So in a sense it looks like the opencl.dll problem is fixed as far as running 'sfc /scannow' is concerned.

RPmtl, Jun 14, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Sorry its not fixed, what sfc did was remove one of the drivers from Nvidia , use to remove 2 now its down to one.
    I make screenshots of before and after a new update, so I can confirm this. *Smile On your next update from Nvidia the whole process will be the same IF you run sfc .... Plus those results are in your CBS log too. Way at the Bottom. *Smile

OldMike65, Jun 14, 2016
  15. RPmtl, the opencl.dll issue is a reporting issue, not an operational issue.

SFC sees a mismatch between component store and the installed version and reports it. SFC shouldn't do that and MS is working to fix the reporting.

The opencl.dll error in SFC can safely be ignored.

Slartybart, Jun 14, 2016
Thema:

1. 'SFC /scannow' errors on clean install - Similar Threads - 'SFC scannow' errors

2. Windows 11 Clean Install-SFC Scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Clean Install-SFC Scannow: Windows 11 23H2 22631.3085Earlier this morning, I downloaded the Media Creation tool and made a Windows 11 USB installation drive.Proceeded to do a clean install deleting all my partitions on all my drives. After the install was complete, I then headed over to Windows Update...
  3. Windows 11 Clean Install-SFC Scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Clean Install-SFC Scannow: Windows 11 23H2 22631.3085Earlier this morning, I downloaded the Media Creation tool and made a Windows 11 USB installation drive.Proceeded to do a clean install deleting all my partitions on all my drives. After the install was complete, I then headed over to Windows Update...
  4. sfc/scannow error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc/scannow error: 00000253 Hashes for file member [l:14]'System.Web.dll' do not match. Expected: {l:20 b:47cb9b0ad80a6962723f7b601b7941971a388b19}. Actual: {l:20 b:f7d269889aa64c84ebb3f0c69c3705b046b7d751}.2023-07-01 07:32:49, Info CSI 00000254 [SR] Cannot repair member file...
  5. sfc /scannow error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow error: I'm running sfc /scannow regularly, and i am getting back wierd results. It seems I have problem with one file, sfc /scannow either finds it corrupt, and repairs it, or does not find any problem at all. 2023-03-18 08:24:08, Info CSI 000001ff [SR] Repairing 1 components...
  6. sfc /scannow error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow error: I'm running sfc /scannow regularly, and i am getting back wierd results. It seems I have problem with one file, sfc /scannow either finds it corrupt, and repairs it, or does not find any problem at all. 2023-03-18 08:24:08, Info CSI 000001ff [SR] Repairing 1 components...
  7. sfc /scannow errors

in Windows 10 Support
    sfc /scannow errors: Hi all, I will appreciate it if you can help me fix my system errors. I am attaching CBS, FRST, Addition text files. Thank you in advance. Regards. 166129
  8. SFC /scannow - errors

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /scannow - errors: Hey all! I recently upgrade to Windows 10 2 weeks ago and for kicks I decided to run an SFC /scannow .. and It found a whole slew of errors! It's weird because I don't see anything wrong with the OS but I know there are according to the scanner. I ran it a few times,...
  9. SFC /SCANNOW Error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /SCANNOW Error: When trying to run SFC /SCANNOW the following error is generated: C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. Is this a knpown problem with solution? 20898
  10. "Errors" found by SFC/SCANNOW after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Errors" found by SFC/SCANNOW after clean install: After attempting the 1511 upgrade (with disastrous results), I blew away the world and did a clean install of Windows 10, 1511 yesterday. It appears to be better - at least it'll boot consistently and be usable. Last evening, Windows popped up and yowled that it had a bunch...