Windows 10: SFC/Scannow generates CBS Log and Can't Fix (What Now)

Discus and support SFC/Scannow generates CBS Log and Can't Fix (What Now) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; 1) Was trying to troubleshoot the fact Excel would not bring up or execute a Macro - nor- bring up Visual Basic. 2) Attempted to reload Office (made a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dw85745, Mar 31, 2020.

1. dw85745 Win User

SFC/Scannow generates CBS Log and Can't Fix (What Now)

1) Was trying to troubleshoot the fact Excel would not bring up or execute a Macro - nor- bring up Visual Basic.
    2) Attempted to reload Office (made a few selection changes) and received "SetUp Found Errors in the Registration Database".

2) Troubleshooter came up and tried various compatability choices (XP service pack 3, WIn-7).
    No luck

3) Figured had something to do with WIn-10.
    Ran SFC/Scannow and got:

"Window Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix ...:
    For online repair details included in CBS log.

4) One heck of a log file. What do I do Now?

:)

dw85745, Mar 31, 2020
  2. butterfly Win User

CBS log: How to fix findstr in Windows 10 for sfc /scannow 'SR' filter

Hi everyone and Kyhi!

I am new to the forum and my Win 10 is experiencing some sfc /scannow errors.
    Tested in Powershell and also cmd with the same error.
    After reading the posts #61 and #62 at Sevenforum thread 'Windows 7: How do you fix corrupted files found by SFC /SCANNOW?', also I tried to use the following comand (after sfc /scannow in elevated cmd) to extract only the SR rows from the CBS.log:
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
    But while it actually works in Windows 7 , under Windows 10 simply continues to blink and the sfcdetails.txt is empty.

How to fix that findstr command, please? *Confused
    P.S. Screnshot shows the txt file out of the desktop because I tried to generate it also in C:\ but without results.

Thank you,

butterfly, Mar 31, 2020
  3. sfc /scannow error

That's why Im asking the question. Am I correct in thinking that its perfectly normal that after the second running of sfc /scannow in your list you would get :-

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
    Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Then after that..its the third sfc /scannow that you list that comes up clean .
    Ivghandi was saying that he presumed that the second sfc /scannow you list showing "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them" meant that he still had a problem.

The way I understand that DISM works is that it repairs the Component Store. Then when you run SFC /scannow again it can then repair the file corruptions it detected originally. Have I got that correct?

sportsfan148, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

How to fix SFC Scannow Corrupted files

Yes, it does. The sequence you describe is common.

If you want to see additional examples {written at the time of some widespread problems with SFC caused by a WD platform update} there is a list at the end of my consolidated ditty on SFC errors [WD update problem] - TenForums and my post also has some suggestions about useful extractions from the CBS log.

Denis

Thema:

1. SFC/Scannow generates CBS Log and Can't Fix (What Now) - Similar Threads - SFC Scannow generates

2. The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log: I ran a sfc scannow command prompt to fix my windows 10 and computer files. It could not fix some corrupted files. It did give this - windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log but none of that is on my computer. I've searched an there is nothing on the c drive. Is there something I can do to...
  3. The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log: I ran a sfc scannow command prompt to fix my windows 10 and computer files. It could not fix some corrupted files. It did give this - windir\logs\cbs\cbs.log but none of that is on my computer. I've searched an there is nothing on the c drive. Is there something I can do to...
  4. The SFC scannow misisng windir\Logs\CBS\.log

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. cbs sfc/scannow interpreting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cbs sfc/scannow interpreting: Hello, I just did an sfc /scannow and it came out that errors have been corrected and that I have reviewed the cbs file, which I don't know how to interpret, if anyone can help me... file link https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akydfmp45OsXkAM6kng7-7F0bO4z?e=y7If62 I thank you in advance...
  6. cbs sfc/scannow interpreting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cbs sfc/scannow interpreting: Hello, I just did an sfc /scannow and it came out that errors have been corrected and that I have reviewed the cbs file, which I don't know how to interpret, if anyone can help me... file link https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akydfmp45OsXkAM6kng7-7F0bO4z?e=y7If62 I thank you in advance...
  7. cbs sfc/scannow interpreting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. sfc /scannow Errors, Now What?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sfc /scannow Errors, Now What?: OK, so sometimes possibly you're better off not knowing. Running Windows 10, 1909 and everything is functioning perfectly, or so I thought. No errors, nothing, not a single hiccup. Then I run sfc /scannow, maybe just because I'm curious, maybe too much time on my hands. In...
  9. SFC/Scannow generates CBS Log and Can't Fix (What Now)

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC/Scannow generates CBS Log and Can't Fix (What Now): 1) Was trying to troubleshoot the fact Excel would not bring up or execute a Macro - nor- bring up Visual Basic. 2) Attempted to reload Office (made a few selection changes) and received "SetUp Found Errors in the Registration Database". 2) Troubleshooter came up and tried...
  10. Weird entries in CBS log after SFC /Scannow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Weird entries in CBS log after SFC /Scannow: Does anyone know what this is???? I have about 50 of them. "0000049a Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory [l:23]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\bcastdvr" in component Microsoft-Media-Capture-Internal-BroadcastDVR, version 10.0.10586.11, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8...