Windows 10: SFC /scannow Results Different in Normal Boot vs. Safe Mode

Discus and support SFC /scannow Results Different in Normal Boot vs. Safe Mode in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I decided to go through a suite of system checks yesterday to make sure my Windows installation was all good. I started with sfc /scannow. When I tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Arcyy, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Arcyy Win User

SFC /scannow Results Different in Normal Boot vs. Safe Mode

I decided to go through a suite of system checks yesterday to make sure my Windows installation was all good. I started with sfc /scannow. When I tried it however, I got the result "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt system files but was unable to fix some of them." So I then proceeded to run the command again in Safe Mode. This time, I got the result, "WRP found no corrupt files. No further action is required." What does this mean?

Additionally, I tried running dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, but that gave an error in normal boot with code 3017. I tried it again in Safe Mode, and got the message "no component store corruption was found."

Any help is much appreciated.

:)

Arcyy, Dec 31, 2020
  2. hoopa234 Win User

Cannot boot computer in normal or safe mode to run sfc/scannow

I need to run sfc/scannow on my PC. I can get to the command prompt within the recovery options in Windows 10. (when it fails during bootup - the automatic repair GUI). However, I cannot boot successfully in either normal mode or safe mode, so when I run the sfc/scannow in the command prompt, it says

Through some research, I found that, apparently, if I want to successfully run the sfc, I need to boot into safe mode...but I cannot get into safe mode in the first place. It will fail and the PC will try to do automatic repair again and return me to the screen I first started at.

Is there an alternate way to get into safe mode?

hoopa234, Dec 31, 2020
  3. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

Good Evening,
    I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.
    The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running
    Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?
    Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Trevor

trevstonbury, Dec 31, 2020
  4. coopfab Win User

Cannot Enter Safe Mode / Computer boots normally

I'm running Win 10 Pro 1903.

Here are the steps I have taken to get into safe mode: Start button, settings, update and security, recovery, advanced startup, troubleshoot, advanced options, startup settings, restart. The computer boots normally, not in safe mode. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks in advance for your help and interest. .

coopfab, Dec 31, 2020
Thema:

1. SFC /scannow Results Different in Normal Boot vs. Safe Mode - Similar Threads - SFC scannow Results

2. Is sfc /scannow safe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is sfc /scannow safe?: I have heard that running the "sfc /scannow" command can cause data loss, is this true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-sfc-scannow-safe/30d46cad-f8ca-431c-bb10-302a49ef47cd
  3. Is sfc /scannow safe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is sfc /scannow safe?: I have heard that running the "sfc /scannow" command can cause data loss, is this true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-sfc-scannow-safe/30d46cad-f8ca-431c-bb10-302a49ef47cd
  4. DirectX Feature Levels are different in safe mode and normal boot mode.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DirectX Feature Levels are different in safe mode and normal boot mode.: Hello, Microsoft Community. I'm having problems launching Valorant on my laptop. The game says that it requires Feature Level 10. Based on DirectX Diagnostic Tool, my laptop has 9_1 to 10_1. So, I assume that I can launch the game without any problem. I did some...
  5. Interpreting sfc /scannow results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Interpreting sfc /scannow results: My W10 Pro PC is running quite well. I decided to run sfc /scannow and came up with the following results: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at...
  6. Boot Up - Safe vs normal mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot Up - Safe vs normal mode: My PC always Boots up into 'SAFE mode'. How do I Boot up in normal mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-up-safe-vs-normal-mode/5aa99c05-5456-4fe6-a38c-6765b8046b9c
  7. SFC /Scannow Results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC /Scannow Results: Have i problems in my OS? SFC Details.txt 45203
  8. SFC Scannow Results

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC Scannow Results: Has anyone else run "sfc /scannow" on their system? I am receiving integrity errors but they don't seem to logged or I can't find them in the usual place. 3341
  9. Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode: In MSconfig I set windows to boot into safe mode, now it will not boot at all. Previously it booted into normal mode. I used a Windows recovery disc from which the only option that works is the command prompt. From the cmd prompt I can see all of C: drive and also run...
  10. SFC /SCANNOW results

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC /SCANNOW results: Finally in this build 10049, I can run SFC /SCANNOW completely. I've extracted just the SR results from cbs.log showing repairs, but one did not fix. Has something to do with powershell. I've rebooted and rerun 3 times, the recommended. Any thoughts? sfcdetails.txt 5130