Windows 10: sfc /scannow WILL NOT function

Discus and support sfc /scannow WILL NOT function in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Cmd Prompt > sfc /scannow says Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service every time I try to use it. What I have tried to do to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by colemyst, Apr 22, 2020.

1. colemyst Win User

sfc /scannow WILL NOT function

Cmd Prompt > sfc /scannow says Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service every time I try to use it. What I have tried to do to fix this through reading this site and many others but no luck. This is what I remember trying:

safe mode start
    Windows Modules Installer is at manual
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth > operation successfully completed
    net start trustedinstaller>successful
    chkdsk /r > typed y but it didn't work either
    ICACLS C:\Windows\winsxs and restart

all have failed

administrator cmd prompt says C:\WINDOWS\system32 I have a 64 though some programs run on 32

I tried reinstalling 10 with keeping my programs, but the internet is too slow to get it to work even after several days of trying. I can't fresh install even if I had my disk with me. Many of my programs can't be replaced well not by me.

Have windows 10 but updates always fail many, many, many times if they going through at all.

I need my pc working properly and something is definitely wrong with it. I need the scan and repair to work.

If someone can help me I would really appreciate the kindness.

:)

colemyst, Apr 22, 2020

2. SFC scannow not working but verify only is working

there is no problem in chkdsk I've checked When I select command prompt and sfc scannow from f8 and repair.. it shows that a reboot is required for pending repair and pending renames folder in winsxs is full of files.. what should I do??

ELiTRiGG3R, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    sfc /scannow error repair

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We appreciate the efforts you have taken in trying to resolve this issue. I have analyzed the error logs that you have shared and I would suggest you follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command Prompt in the
      search bar
      on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, paste the following command and hit Enter:
      DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    4. Once the DISM command is executed, we would suggest you to run sfc /scannow again.

If the integrity violations are not repaired after running sfc scan, the best option will be performing a repair installation. A repair installation will repair all the corrupted files.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (MCT) and use it to perform a repair installation
    of Windows 10. We have a video that can show you how if you aren’t sure

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 22, 2020
  4. lvgandhi Win User

sfc /scannow error

Thanks.
    After above steps, I rebooted my laptop and did sfc /scannow. It is OK now.

lvgandhi, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

1. sfc /scannow WILL NOT function - Similar Threads - sfc scannow function

2. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Whenever i try to do sfc /scannow in cmd i get this message : Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/797942d5-5528-46b0-8d2f-6bfea428c9f6
  3. Sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sfc /scannow: Hi.I run sfc /scannow as administrator and after finished I got :Windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them .Then I restart pc .My question should I do dism or not because I search about it and didn't find an answer. Thanx for help...
  4. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Hello! When I try to enter the command, it gives me an error:sfc : The term 'sfc' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.At...
  5. SFC /Scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC /Scannow: When I do the SFC /Scannow from the CMD and within the admin area I am seeing after the scan the Verify Only is showing as No repair operation is performed.Is this informing me that I have to do the repair or no repair is needed from my end?Kenneth...
  6. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow: Hey.I've exhuasted all recommendations regarding how to fix the sfc/ scannow command and make it work, namely did the trustedinstaller thing from cmd, i changed the windows modules installer to auto and then back to manual, but I keep receiving the same messages. When I type...
  7. SFC / scannow

in Windows 10 Customization
    SFC / scannow: I ran SFC / scannow and I'm not sure there was a message. What can I do? I check the application event log for events 1001 and “SFC” I check the DISM.log file I use findstr in CMD to find "[SR]" entries in CBS.log Or Run SFC / showlog...
  8. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sfc /scannow: Hi all, does anyone know anything about the logs in sfc /scannow? When I scan my Windows I get no integrity violations however in my logs I see a few things such as: 0000018b Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\ is owned twice or has its security set...
  9. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: i ran sfc /scannow and got when it reched around 54% i got the followingmessage "Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/425af61f-5e61-4f8e-badc-1e44ae02698e
  10. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: when I run sfc /scannow in command prompt it will only run to 71% and than it stop, how can i fix that problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/5f81a97e-769a-413c-8139-2871d8c08b5f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer windows 10 windows resource protection could not start the repair service