Windows 10: SFF (Small Form Factor) computers any comment

Discus and support SFF (Small Form Factor) computers any comment in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks Thinking of one of these as a multi-media etc NAS server. I really like the tiny footprint too.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Aug 10, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

SFF (Small Form Factor) computers any comment

Hi folks

Thinking of one of these as a multi-media etc NAS server. I really like the tiny footprint too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-NUC7I...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I can get 2 X 16 GB RAM in these (probably overkill but it's supported and I have the RAN sticks (DDR4), I have spare SSD and using powered USB3 hub I can attach 2 X external 2 bay HDD enclosures to it making a tiny out of the way interesting NAS server / PC. Video is via built in HDMI out and I'll connect it to my ethernet switch via USB-->LAN adapter (have all those parts so nothing extra to buy other than the base unit at around 400 USD / EUR inc tax.

I'm not a gamer etc so this looks if it would work far better for me than a "Classic" desktop or tower PC.
    A powered 7 port USB 3 hub will provide enough connections -- for multi-media serving you don't need the mega fasted HDD's !!. The SSD and RAM will be good for running a few VM's too.

Any comments would be appreciated - drawbacks of thes SFF (Small form factor) computers ?.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 10, 2018

2. Low power, small form factor systems

Not sure what you mean here. SFF boards come with a variety of CPUs besides those, or no CPU at all. Did you mean those specifically are the ones you are looking at?

And are you looking to replace the entire computer (as suggested by your Acer link) or is replacing the motherboard an option?

Bill_Bright, Aug 10, 2018
  3. btarunr Win User
    Themis Announces Intel Core i7 NanoPAK Small Form Factor Computer

Themis Computer today announced the Intel Core i7 NanoPAK small form factor computer, the newest member of the Themis Tactical Systems product family. The small, light footprint and powerful performance of the Intel Core i7 NanoPAK make it an ideal solution for rugged commercial and military field applications. The NanoPAK i7 computer integrates an Intel 3rd generation Core i7 (Ivy Bridge) processor with FLASH storage in a small, light footprint that optimizes size, weight, power, and cooling. NanoPAK i7 computers are complete, stand alone systems designed for unmanned vehicles, ground vehicles, man-wearable, shipboard, and other extreme environments, where space, weight, power, and cost (SWAP-C) are critical.

SFF (Small Form Factor) computers  any comment [​IMG]

The the Intel Core i7 NanoPAK Small Form Factor Computer boasts a hardened-aluminum air-cooled chassis that ensures survivability in harsh environmental conditions. This small form factor computer supports field application including real time control, data recorders, small storage and communications systems, and mobile robotics. All standard PC interfaces are available. Additional interfaces include discrete data I/O lines. Ideal for mission-critical applications, the Intel Core i7 NanoPAK Small Form Factor Computer boasts robust performance and a cost-competitive price make it an attractive choice for military, commercial, and industrial use.

"Themis is committed to providing the highest-performance computing in the smallest form factors possible, with a focus on size, weight, power, and cooling," said Bill Kehret, President and CEO of Themis. "The Intel Core i7 NanoPAK is a unique small form factor computer that embraces this commitment while supporting mission-critical applications."

Product Features
    • All I/O and power through 100 pin Micro D-Sub connector on the front of the module and two USB 3.0 connectors on the rear of the module
    • Intel 3rd Generation Core i7 (Ivy Bridge) Processor
    • Linux or Microsoft Windows
    • Local or Network PXE boot
    • Up to 8 GB System Memory
    • Air cooled external fin kit with thermally controlled impellers, module conduction cooled, internally
    • Ambient Temperature: -40° C to + 71° C
    • Dimensions (W x H x D): 133 mm X 93 mm X 37 mm (includes fan assembly)
    • Weight 770 g (typical)
    • MIL-STD-810G (Environmental)

btarunr, Aug 10, 2018
  4. cdawall Win User

MATX small form factor build

I am building a SFF for my mother in law to update her noisy Athlon II X3 build. I already have a MATX A68 board and an A6-7400k. Plan is to toss in a single SSD, 8GB of ram and move on.

The only thing she wants is a small form factor case, which I am having a hell of a time finding. Does anyone have a small MATX case they know of? If it happened to fit an H50 I wouldn't be upset.

cdawall, Aug 10, 2018
Thema:

1. SFF (Small Form Factor) computers any comment - Similar Threads - SFF Small Form

2. Found 2 small bugs (Details in Comment)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Found 2 small bugs (Details in Comment): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Expert_Coyote4246 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/u3al2z/found_2_small_bugs_details_in_comment/
  3. Windows 10 wasting memory hp compaq dc5850 small form factor RAM 3gb ram 2.75gb usable cpu...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 wasting memory hp compaq dc5850 small form factor RAM 3gb ram 2.75gb usable cpu...: Windows 10 eates the ram per 1gb ram, well i tried windows diagoinstic tool, and it wastes a bit. I have all my virtual machines to 4mb ram, and even how do i remove usable ram? Msconfig? Boot? Advanced? Check memory to 3072mb without unchecking?...
  4. Windows 10 problems for hp compaq dc5850 small form factor pc with 3gb ram 2.75gb usable...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 problems for hp compaq dc5850 small form factor pc with 3gb ram 2.75gb usable...: I cant activate windows 10 21h1 because Settings stops working when i click activate windows, soundcard not supported. Feedback hub app stops working. Please fix it Spanish No puedo activar Windows 10 21h1 porque la configuración deja de funcionar cuando hago clic en activar...
  5. Windows 10 problems for hp compaq dc5850 small form factor pc with 3gb ram 2.75gb usable...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 problems for hp compaq dc5850 small form factor pc with 3gb ram 2.75gb usable...: I cant activate windows 10 21h1 because Settings stops working when i click activate windows, soundcard not supported. Feedback hub app stops working. Please fix it Spanish No puedo activar Windows 10 21h1 porque la configuración deja de funcionar cuando hago clic en activar...
  6. Windows 10 problems for hp compaq dc5850 small form factor pc with 3gb ram 2.75gb usable...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Toshiba announces new small XFMEXPRESS NVMe SSD memory form factor

in Windows 10 News
    Toshiba announces new small XFMEXPRESS NVMe SSD memory form factor: [img] [img] Toshiba Memory America, Inc., the U.S.-based subsidiary of Toshiba Memory Corporation, today announced XFMEXPRESS™, a new technology for removable PCIe attached, NVMe memory devices. With a new form factor and an innovative connector, XFMEXPRESS technology...
  8. HP DC 7900 Small Form Factor Desktop Computer with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit OS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP DC 7900 Small Form Factor Desktop Computer with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit OS.: Hi. I'm using this Energy Star Desktop for low powered Surf/Shop/Small Game. With 6 GB DDR 2 Ram,120 GB SSD,DVD-CDRW, 240 Watt PSU,Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU.If I want to go any higher, I'll build a separate Game Rig. I want to add an ATI AMD Radeon HD 6350 Video Card that comes...
  9. small factor nvidia GT 610 1GB express HDMI

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    small factor nvidia GT 610 1GB express HDMI: Hi there Installed this to a PROLIANT Gen 8 HP microserver - I removed the RGB connector (just unplug from the card) , and used the DVI and HDMI connectors on the small form connector -- just unscrew the standard size bracket and screw the (supplied) small form factor one....
  10. Intel Delivers New SSD Form Factor and Innovative Designs

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Delivers New SSD Form Factor and Innovative Designs: Today, Intel announces major data center storage advances, reiterating Intel’s memory technology leadership. The new technologies advance data center storage and deliver innovative solutions to meet the challenges presented by the growing reliance on data. They include:...