Windows 10: Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer

Discus and support Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ideally I'd like to share a drive, but even giving access to "Everyone" results in an error message "You do not have permission..." I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Malc63, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Malc63 Win User

Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer

Ideally I'd like to share a drive, but even giving access to "Everyone" results in an error message "You do not have permission..."

I can successfully share a folder on that drive, if again I give access to "Everyone" which seem like madness...

As the title says, I want to give access to a named user from another computer. When trying to select a user in the "Select User or Groups" dialog box and then selecting the "Locations" dialog only the host computer is shown and not the remote, stopping me adding a user from the remote computer.

Both computers are members of the default Workgroup.

Thanks

:)

Malc63, Jan 31, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer :)

Frogger, Jan 31, 2019
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Jan 31, 2019
  4. Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer

User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer

1. Share a folder/drive with a named user from another computer - Similar Threads - Share folder drive

2. Sharing a Single Folder with Another User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a Single Folder with Another User: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (21H1 - Build 19043.1052). I am trying to set up another user with access to a single folder and its subfolders on a new machine. I've shared this folder with that user by editing the share settings in Windows Explorer. When I log in as that...
  3. How to share a drive/folder from another domain with cmd

How to share a drive/folder from another domain with cmd: Hello! Do you know how to share a disk/folder with the net share command from CMD?I tried the net share test = \\WIN-DC01\C:\test /grant: everyone,full but it doesn't work. test is folder from another PC WIN-DC01 is Computer Name Domain is mydomain.com I really didn't include...
  4. How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to share a drive with one user from another pc locally?: Hi I have a usb drive connected to one machine. I want to be able to share that drive with one other machine so that only those 2 machines can read, write, delete, etc. from that drive. I want to do this so I can transfer files over my local network without opening up that...
  5. Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials

Connecting to a Shared Drive from another user requires initial users credentials: I have a computer that I am moving to another user. We rely on an application that is on a computer on the network. I installed it with the first user who was authenticated with Azure AD. However, when I go to access the shared drive with the new user, it asks for a password,...
  6. Sharing a folder on a PC with a user on another PC

Sharing a folder on a PC with a user on another PC: I know the basics of network sharing, but it only works for me if I specify sharing with Everyone. Here are my two problems: 1. I want to share a folder on one PC with a specific person working on another PC. I get to where I have to type a name and then click Add.......
  7. Need to share folders to another computer on another wifi network.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need to share folders to another computer on another wifi network.: Basically, I have two houses with two desktops, and a laptop that I take everywhere. I would like to be able to share a specific folder or two (not OneDrive, it will not work) with my two desktops, and if possible, to my laptop as well. If it helps, I always run Enterprise on...
  8. Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.

Access to a shared folder on another PC denied for 1 user but accepted for another user.: This is really weird. I have 2 computers. Computer A has 1 shared folder. Computer B has 2 users. Both are administrators. But only 1 user can access the shared folder. The other user has to enter the network credentials. Also new users have no access. How is this possible?...
  9. How to share folders with a specific user on another computer

How to share folders with a specific user on another computer: I've gone through the tutorials here on how to set up share folders. Very useful. I've done a fair bit of google searching as well. There does not seem to be an answer to my question. I have some folders on my desktop PC that I have shared on my network using the "Everyone"...
  10. I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it

in Windows 10 Support
    I've moved shared Pictures folder to another drive but didn't name it: Hello, I recently upgraded to Windows 10, Put OS onto SSD along with a few other essentials and have a second hard drive for storage. The shared Pictures, Videos, Documents (etc) folders were all by default on my relatively small SSD. Figured out how to move location of...