Windows 10: Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

Discus and support Share a folder over a home network without password prompting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just finished putting a new PC together and now I'm trying to accomplish what I would have assumed to be a very simple task. Especially since I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WebMaximus, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

I just finished putting a new PC together and now I'm trying to accomplish what I would have assumed to be a very simple task. Especially since I can't recall ever having any issues when I was on my old PC.

I have a number of folders on my main PC I would like to share making them accessible from another PC on my home network. Both PCs are running Windows 10.

I have:

• enabled sharing for the folders in question
    • granted 'Full control' to 'Everyone' under the Share Permissions tab
    • granted 'Full control' to 'Everyone' under the Security tab
    • turned ON network discovery as well as file and printer sharing for the network profile I'm using (Private)
    • turned OFF password protected sharing for all networks
    Still, when on my second PC trying to access the shared folders located on my main PC using Windows Explorer, I'm prompted to type in a password for my local account on the main PC in order to get access.

Not sure what I'm missing here...?!

Many thanks in advance for pushing me in the right direction!

:)

WebMaximus, Feb 19, 2019
  2. bakasamaz Win User

How To: Password Protect a Folder in Network?

xp pro

Hi i have xp pro and i Unchecked the simple file sharing. Can you walk me through? what i want is to password protect Shared folders, so whenever from the others computers try to access those folders a Prompt message pop up asking for user name and password.

bakasamaz, Feb 19, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Sharing a folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your time and patience to work on this issue.

To know the username of your computer, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Type whoami in Command Prompt window and press Enter.
    4. You will find the username of the computer, use the username and your password to access the file from the shared folder.

However, if the above steps didn’t help, I suggest you to turn off password protected sharing and check if that helps.

To turn off password protected sharing, please follow the steps mentioned below on your laptop:

1. Press and hold Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    2. Type Control and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Click on Change advance sharing settings.
    5. Under All Networks, click on
      Turn off password protected sharing

Hope it helps.

Please reply to this post for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 19, 2019
  4. bakasamaz Win User

Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

How To: Password Protect a Folder in Network?

Hi all I have a question for you all Networking Expert out there. Im running a small networking at my house. this Network consist of 3 computers : My computer, My sister's and My mom's. My computer act as a Network Harddrive, I share a lot of Files in my computer. Sometimes my sister like to pull over some files from my computer, but there are some folders where i dont like her to open. Im thinking to Password Protect a certain folders, so whenever she or my mom open those certain folders a pop up will show up asking for password (im thinking to password protect because sometimes I need to able to access those folders from either my mom's or sister's computer) Is there anyway to do this? third party Program? all computers in my network running Windows XP.

bakasamaz, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

1. Share a folder over a home network without password prompting - Similar Threads - Share folder home

2. Share Folders over network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share Folders over network: How do I prevent two or more persons to open the same file simultaneously on a share folder between computers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-folders-over-network/ec7229cb-8df6-4c92-ba1b-ff860c0fecfe
  3. Share Folders over network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share Folders over network: How do I prevent two or more persons to open the same file simultaneously on a share folder between computers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-folders-over-network/ec7229cb-8df6-4c92-ba1b-ff860c0fecfe
  4. Share Folders over network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network Folder Sharing with and without Password

Network Folder Sharing with and without Password: Good Day, I have setup a small Private Network. I will be sharing a few folders, some of them will require username/Password wich will be created as local accounts on the shared folder PC. But i would also like to share another folder with "Everyone" and require no username...
  6. Asymmetrical Sharing of Folders over Windows 10 Home Network

Asymmetrical Sharing of Folders over Windows 10 Home Network: I have three computers purchased in 2015, 2016 and 2018 all running the very latest Windows 10. For a few years all three of them were able to share files and folders using the Share feature in W10. The 2016 computer a laptop suffered a severe operating system crash and I...
  7. Password protected sharing over Network sharing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protected sharing over Network sharing: How can we turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing,thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protected-sharing-over-network-sharing/635517ef-5d29-4e18-80f5-43c8896e6ac9"
  8. sharing folders on home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders on home network: After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-folders-on-home-network/56cc4ace-5759-47cb-b514-9c86e98307d9"
  9. File sharing over a home network

File sharing over a home network: Hello, By following instructions from this site for sharing files on my home network, which has two computers on it, I have been able to share files from one computer, a laptop connected to the network, with a desktop computer on the same network. I have not been able to...
  10. Cannot share folders over home network

Cannot share folders over home network: I used to have a HomeGroup, I understand that this is now gone. I can now only see media files over the network. I have changed all the folder secure sharing settings to allow viewing folders over the home network. I still don't see them. Just the media files. What's the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. password promted for home network