Windows 10: Share entire drive in 1803?

Discus and support Share entire drive in 1803? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've read a lot of threads and articles on the weird new sharing principles in Win 10 v.1803. I've managed to be able to share individual folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikolajek, Aug 27, 2018.

1. mikolajek Win User

Share entire drive in 1803?

I've read a lot of threads and articles on the weird new sharing principles in Win 10 v.1803. I've managed to be able to share individual folders successfully, but I'm still stuck when it comes to sharing the entire drive.

When I try to do so via the only available option "Give access to", and select "Advanced sharing" I'm just presented with the Properties box with no Sharing tab present...

I've already done:
    1. enabled extra services necessary for autostart
    2. turned on files sharing and discovery on different networks
    3. removed Sharing from blocked shell extensions via registry
    4. removed SMB1 server and left client only
    Used this article and this article as a guidance.

What I'm getting as a result is a mess of the legacy options and lack of them, making me totally puzzled. Basically, I can't get the Sharing tab for any resource (file, folder, drive), but I'm able to get the context menu "Give access to" for folders (not for drives).

But how to share the entire drive, when no Sharing tab is present and the "give access to" option returns nothing?

:)

mikolajek, Aug 27, 2018

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Aug 27, 2018
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. davefaz Win User

Can't Share an Entire Drive

I have done all that, it doesn't work on any of my PC's. I can see the drive, but can not access it. I have tried with different drives on different PC's, it's a common problem! There must be an issue with "Everyone" but I don't know what. As I said, the really crazy thing is that if I create a folder on the drive then I can happily share that. Just not the entire drive. I remember having this issue with Win 10 before on the network, and just giving up. This, however, is a new PC and I really want to share the entire drive.

davefaz, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Share entire drive in 1803? - Similar Threads - Share entire drive

2. Copying entire drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying entire drive.: I want to move my entire drive including windows 10 operating system to a new larger disk I installed,how to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-entire-drive/b555f5a3-9d07-47f2-b8b5-d28c9abb411f
  3. Sharing entire drive gives permission access error, folders work fine.

Sharing entire drive gives permission access error, folders work fine.: So I just clean installed Windows 10 version 1903 on a few of my computers. On one computer, I am trying to share the whole drive through simple sharing options but when I try to access that drive from another machine I get an unable to access due to permissions error....
  4. Sharing entire drive gives permission access error, folders work fine.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sharing entire drive gives permission access error, folders work fine.: So I just clean installed Windows 10 version 1903 on a few of my computers. On one computer, I am trying to share the whole drive through simple sharing options but when I try to access that drive from another machine I get an unable to access due to permissions error....
  5. Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan

Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan: The Error message I get when trying to access the shared drive is "You do not have permissions to access <drive>. Contact your network administrator to request access." Current windows 10 version is 1803 build 17134.345 x64. None of the computers on the network have...
  6. 1803 not sharing folder

1803 not sharing folder: I am baffled at this new 1803 as when I share folder on my network no PC can see it in Network in explorer. I aware homegroup is gone but how can I share a folder on my network to another windows 10 or 7 PC? I right click folder etc & share there I tried everyone & guest &...
  7. Network shares not working on 1803

Network shares not working on 1803: I have three machines on my network and mainly used the printer share. Two of them are on Windows 10 Pro and one on Windows 7 Home Premium. They all used to belong to a single homegroup which was set up on one of the Windows 10 Pro machines. After the 1803 update on both...
  8. Windows 10 version 1803 Disabling entire Computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 version 1803 Disabling entire Computer: Each time Windows 10 version 1803 Installs itself I turn on the computer, sign in, then in a matter of seconds the screen goes white then black then blue then back to sign in page. Sometimes Just White Screen, Sometimes just Black screen. Each screen that comes up will last...
  9. Folder/Drive sharing fubarred after 1803 upgrade...

Folder/Drive sharing fubarred after 1803 upgrade...: Hi Guys, I've had many problems with sharing since the 1709 update - was fine before that. Now I've upgraded my PCs to 1803, more issues (Thanks MS)... I've shared the "D:" data partitions on my three PCs, with full access for everyone, password protected sharing turned...
  10. Can't Share an Entire Drive

Can't Share an Entire Drive: I have a small home network. I do not use HomeGroup. I can happily share folders, but I can not share an entire drive. Whenever I do that, and set access permissions, the drive appears on the network, but nothing can access it. It always just says that I do not have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when trying to share folders it only provides the advanced sharing option rather than specific people