Windows 10: Share HDDs on home network

Discus and support Share HDDs on home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hi all for no good reason I have 4 external hard drives , 3 are USB powered and 1 mains powered. I would like to be able to share 1 of them on my home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bartjunited, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Share HDDs on home network

hi all for no good reason I have 4 external hard drives , 3 are USB powered and 1 mains powered.

I would like to be able to share 1 of them on my home network with the option of being able to access them via

android phones
    windows laptops
    android/amazon fire tablets
    amazon fire sticks
    android tv box

is this possible and if so whats the most cost effective solution?

I dont need/want to leave the drive on all the time, just access it as and when i need it?

Thanks in advance

BArt

:)

bartjunited, Jan 14, 2020

2. Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Jan 14, 2020
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Share HDDs on home network

Network and sharing

Hi,

We see that you are having issues accessing the shared drive on your network. To assist you further, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer or network prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Share HDDs on home network

1. Share HDDs on home network - Similar Threads - Share HDDs home

2. Home network file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home network file sharing: I just got a new computer super fast lots of memory Windows 11 latest updates.I have 4 other computers running windows 10 on a wireless network but I can't get the new computer to recognize these.The other 4 communicate with each other OK.What's different about the Win 11...
  3. Home Network File Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home Network File Sharing: Good day everyone,I have a small 2 computer home P2P network defined. Hardware is 1 Dell XPS 8700, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Wi-Fi & Ethernet, running Win10 Pro V 21H1. 2nd Computer is a Dell Inspiron-15-3567, 16GB, 256GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Wi-Fi & Ethernet, running Win 10...
  4. sharing folders on home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders on home network: After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-folders-on-home-network/56cc4ace-5759-47cb-b514-9c86e98307d9"
  5. Home group/network sharing

Home group/network sharing: I have a Desktop with Windows 7 and a Laptop with Windows 10. At an earlier date I was able to share files with both by turning on Home Group on Windows 7 and sharing folders in Network Sharing on my Laptop. I have since had to reinstall my Windows 10 on my Laptop; and...
  6. home networks & shared links

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    home networks & shared links: Please can anyone, give me answer how to correct the following. I have Windows 10 just updated to version 1809. My wife & I both had computer that were linked through the home network. a short while ago her machine crashed, due to a faulty mother board & scrapped, therefor...
  7. Sharing files on home network

Sharing files on home network: I have 3 computers on my home wireless network all running windows 10. I have done the steps to give access to Everyone but I cannot see the other computers on the network at all - or the folders I have shared. What am I missing?...
  8. Sharing files in home network

Sharing files in home network: The two computers in my home network run on Windows 10. Computer 1 has a printer attached to it. Since upgrade 1803 I cannot share files nor can I use the printer from computer 2. I have followed the instructions to install the home network that I have found on the internet...
  9. Home Network File Sharing

Home Network File Sharing: Hello, I have recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my desktop and laptop. I know that there is no longer a "homegroup" setting for file sharing. I have set up network discovery and I can access my files on my desktop from my laptop - which is what I want....
  10. Trying to network share two HDDs; one will, one won't

Trying to network share two HDDs; one will, one won't: I have three physical HDDs on my windows 10 computer Drive 0 = C: system drive Drive 1 = D: Data drive Drive 2 = T: Dropbox drive The two drives I want to share on the network are D: and T: I have set up sharing for both but I cannot access T: from any other...