Windows 10: Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer

Discus and support Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Due to a power surge I recently had to upgrade my wife's Win 7 machine. She had been running an old LGA1156 mobo and when it was impractical to replace... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by msdunkel, Jul 10, 2018.

1. msdunkel Win User

Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer

Due to a power surge I recently had to upgrade my wife's Win 7 machine. She had been running an old LGA1156 mobo and when it was impractical to replace the mobo I figured why not just get her an 8th gen I3? I soon figured out that those 8th gen processors don't play nicely with Win 10 so I blew another $120 and got her a copy of Win 10 Home. My wife's (new) Win10 desktop doubles as our household NAS and Plex server. I would like to be able to rip blue-rays on my Win 7 machine and then move them to my wife's Win10 machine over our wired network. I see how I can share the Win 10 HD with everybody on the network, but I don't want to do that since my teenage kids (who click every virus known to man) are also on the network. I only want my Win 7 machine to have full access to the NAS portion of my wife's desktop computer.

I have right clicked the drive (on the win 10 machine), selected properties, and then sharing tab. When I try to select a specific user I cannot see the Win 7 computer name "MIKE-PC" anywhere in the list. In fact there's nothing on the list at all. As amplifying information, the Win 7 machine doesn't see the Win 10 machine on the network at all. This all used to work fine under Win 7 "HOMEGROUP" but that useful feature seems to have been removed in Win 10. Hooray for improvements. Anyway, can somebody please help? What's the new "HOMEGROUP" and how do I share that raid array on the Win 10 machine with just my Win 7 computer?

Thanks!

:)

msdunkel, Jul 10, 2018

2. File Sharing between homegroup computers using Win 10 and Win 7

None of he suggestions offered have solved he problem. However, I found out why I was not able to see the Window 7 PC folders on my Win 10 laptop. It was all related to the difference in how you find a computers on a homegroup. As it turns out, the
    Windows 10 menu structure for getting to the Network is different between the Win 7 and Win 10 operating systems. The homegroup computers can be seen on the Win 7 buy going to Network and File Sharing on the Control Panel and by clicking on the the House
    Icon between the Win 7 PC icon and the Internet Icon. These icons are not part of the Network and File Sharing menu on Win 10. Instead, the homegroup computers can be found on the Network icon under the Computer Menu on Win 10 computers. Once I found Win
    7 listed under the Network Icon on the Win 10 computer I was able to access all of the shared folders on the Win 7 PC.

shortimer831, Jul 10, 2018
  3. crownele Win User
    Hard drives listed as SSD drives

Upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 7 Pro.

Have 2 Hard drives in Raid 1 set up.

Win 10 lists these drives as SSD drives in System Properties.

How do I change the listing of these drives to HD so I can optimize them?

crownele, Jul 10, 2018
  4. Nelson01 Win User

BSODs in WIN 10, Pro

I have attempted this method several times on different days. It did not work for me. I only get an orange screen with white vertical stripes and a flashing cursor in the upper left corner.

I installed Win 7 Pro on a new hard drive and am able to access the Win 10 drive through My Computer. This has allowed me to access the programs and files on the Win 10 drive.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Nelson01, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer - Similar Threads - Share Home Hard

2. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?: I have a new laptop with Win 11 Home, and I need full access to files and drives on my Win 10 Home Desktop.1 Both computers on the same network: If I upgrade the Desktop to Win10 Pro, will I have full read/write access to those using the Win 11 Home Laptop or do I have to...
  3. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?: I have a new laptop with Win 11 Home, and I need full access to files and drives on my Win 10 Home Desktop.1 Both computers on the same network: If I upgrade the Desktop to Win10 Pro, will I have full read/write access to those using the Win 11 Home Laptop or do I have to...
  4. Share files Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Home?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sharing between Win 10 and Win 7

Sharing between Win 10 and Win 7: I have Windows Media Center set up on Win 7 on one machine. When I got to Network on the 10 machine, the 7 machine is listed, as well as all the drives on it. When I try to open any folder is says I don't have permission to access it. Everything I can find is set to share...
  6. win 7 pro win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 7 pro win 10 pro: how do I upgrade from win 7 to win 10? I have product key for 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-pro-win-10-pro/931e1125-6737-4bec-821b-26fd3cc64bac
  7. Set up file sharing home network with win 10 and win 7 computers

Set up file sharing home network with win 10 and win 7 computers: I just upgraded my main computer to 1803 and now most of my network won't connect to each other. I have two computers on Win 10 ver 1803 and two son Win7 sp2. I can't get them to connect. they did for a while and then stopped. I have spent two days reading and checking and...
  8. Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access

Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access: Just added a new Win 10 Pro desktop to the network. It needs to access a Win 7 desktop shared folder. I get the error message Windows cannot access \\NAComp1-PC Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a network problem. 0x80070035 The network path...
  9. Homegroup sharing Win.7, to Win. 10

Homegroup sharing Win.7, to Win. 10: Hello all, I am trying to share my files, mainly documents and pictures between my (3) laptops. On my 2 laptops running Windows 7 this is not a problem, but I am unable to share between Win. 7 and Win. 10. I can startup the homegroup, it will recognize the other device on...
  10. Win 10 and Win 7 File Sharing

Win 10 and Win 7 File Sharing: I have one Windows 7 computer on my network that shares a license to the other windows 10 computers. I have been over everything ensuring that share options on both ends are correct. Most of the time all the computers can connect and use the license after the Win 10 PC gets...