Windows 10: Shared Drives

Discus and support Shared Drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am not able to map a drive or connect to a shared network drive using Win 10. I have win 10 home on one system and win 7 home on other. The C and F... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeterPieri, May 29, 2019.

1. Shared Drives

I am not able to map a drive or connect to a shared network drive using Win 10. I have win 10 home on one system and win 7 home on other. The C and F drives on the win 7 are shared with everyone and when I try and connect to either drive using a win 7 system all is ok. If I try and connect using my win 10 system it says I do bot have permission contact network administrator which I am. I can connect to public file.

On one of my customers system same Problem using Win 10 pro and Win7 Pro. All his new system are Win 10 pro so I must be able to connect to a network drive and I cannot. None of Win 10 system can connect to shared C drive on Win 7 system. What I did was to upgrade The Win 7 Pro system to Win 10 pro and I still have same problem. All his new Win 10 pro system will not connect to a shared network drive. It says I do not have permission. On these system I must map drives but Since I can not access the shared drive I can not map it.

Win 7 was easy and This is why I used it as much as I can. Win 10 is cumbersome. My customer is getting more irritated by the day. All systems are current system running core I 3,5 and 7. all with at least 8gb ram and most SSD. Please help me. it seems like I am not the only one with this problem

:)

PeterPieri, May 29, 2019

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, May 29, 2019
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

4. Arun B J Win User

Shared Drives

C: Drive Admin Share Keeps Enabling

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows +E,

• Right click on C: drive.

• Select Sharing Tab.

• Click on Advanced Sharing.

• Uncheck “Share this folder”.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Shared Drives

1. Shared Drives - Similar Threads - Shared Drives

2. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  3. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  4. Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files: A user reported an issue where they couldn't use the search function to search within a shared drive they connected to.I have tried various steps including indexing options, and other file types.Within indexing options, I noticed the .xlsx file type was missing from the list....
  5. Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files

Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files: A user reported an issue where they couldn't use the search function to search within a shared drive they connected to.I have tried various steps including indexing options, and other file types.Within indexing options, I noticed the .xlsx file type was missing from the list....
  6. Server shared drive not searching file contents within .xlsx files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10

Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10: Hello. I have searched hundreds of articles it feels like. I've tried regedit, services, network settings for file share, right click to add permissions, etc. so here is there scenario. I have 3 computers+ a workstation at home. My workstation runs 24/7 for a game server +...
  8. Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10: Hello. I have searched hundreds of articles it feels like. I've tried regedit, services, network settings for file share, right click to add permissions, etc. so here is there scenario. I have 3 computers+ a workstation at home. My workstation runs 24/7 for a game server +...
  9. Sharing Mapped Drive over Network Windows 10

10. only one drive of two will share on LAN

only one drive of two will share on LAN: We have a pc running Win 10 that has one C drive and two more drives D and E . D and E have identical sharing permission settings and D can be accessed from the the other PCs on the LAN. E, however, gives a 'you do not have permission to access\\PC\e Contact your network...