Windows 10: Shared Excel-files "Locked" by another user, seemingly spontaneously.

Discus and support Shared Excel-files "Locked" by another user, seemingly spontaneously. in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Version: Excel 2016 Operating Systems: Windows 7 + Windows 10 File location: Normal SMB-shared network locations Hi TenForums, I have a small issue... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by hajen, Jan 31, 2020.

1. hajen Win User

Shared Excel-files "Locked" by another user, seemingly spontaneously.

Version: Excel 2016
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 + Windows 10
    File location: Normal SMB-shared network locations

Hi TenForums, I have a small issue that is occurring multiple times a month. I am looking for a way to get started in troubleshooting this and hopefully solving it.

The following scenario is made up for simplicity, but it is actually very close to the actual case: Multiple computers and multiple users and the problem does not occur only for one Excel-file, usually when they contact me it is a different file every time and it can be stored on any network location, doesn't make a difference.

When someone opens an Excel-file that is supposed to be shared, then an error message may appear saying the file has been locked by <person>. This is all fine and dandy, but when you get to <person> and ask them to unlock it, then they have no idea what you're talking about. The point is: It wasn't actually <person> who locked it, it just happened somehow. This can also be verified by checking the AD-logs which confirms that every time a person "denies it", it is actually true. It seems that some files lock themselves, or the file doesn't realize that it should be unlocked.

This usually solves itself within a few hours, but I would really like a tip on how to start troubleshooting this. The absolute best would be to write a script and deploy it to the target machine every time they contact us.

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards

:)

hajen, Jan 31, 2020
  2. kevthu Win User

Excel files only open/save slow on network share

• Opening any Excel file, even an empty Excel file from any network share located on any machine on this domain network results in slow performance. When opening a file, Excel will state: "Downloading: <path name>", then will say "Processing...", then will
      say "Opening: <path name>", then will say "Processing...", and then finally opens. Once open the file performs normally.
    • The Save process is equally slow for any Excel file saving to a Network Share
    • Opening these same files locally on any machine is fast.
    • Opening any other file type on these shares is fast, including Word, pdf, jpg, etc. of much larger size than the Excel files.
    • The slow performance is seen on all machines on the network.
    It seems like this would be a network issue but I'm not sure where to start. Again it only affects Excel files, nothing else. But it affects all Excel files.

Some machines here are Windows 7 running Office 2010, but the same slow behavior is seen on Windows 10 machines running Office 365.

kevthu, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    View Windows lock file on Excel

Hello,

To better assist you with the issue, please answer these questions.

• What version of Excel are you using?
    • What is the exact error message you're receiving?

We suggest that you use
    Excel Online
    if you have a group that is trying to collaborate in one Excel file.

We look forward to your update.

Ian Ser, Jan 31, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

CSV files used to open in Excel....not now!

Hi, you say Excel is installed. Does it run normally?

You can't find Excel in (an unspecified) list of applications. I don't know which list that is for sure.

For example, in the list related to:
    - rt click a file. Open With
    - this list:

Shared Excel-files "Locked" by another user, seemingly spontaneously. [​IMG]

- this list:

Shared Excel-files "Locked" by another user, seemingly spontaneously. [​IMG]

- some other list...

If Excel does not appear in the above, I suggest you repair your office installation.

Maybe the above gives you some ideas. Otherwise please post a screenshot of where you think you should see it but don't. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Shared Excel-files "Locked" by another user, seemingly spontaneously. - Similar Threads - Shared Excel files

2. Having issues with a shared Excel file getting locked.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having issues with a shared Excel file getting locked.: I have an issue where there is an excel sheet that keeps getting locked. I've forced closed it through computer management and reboot the server and all workstations that access to that file. It's happening on multiple workstations and with different users. I've also saved a...
  3. Having issues with a shared Excel file getting locked.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having issues with a shared Excel file getting locked.: I have an issue where there is an excel sheet that keeps getting locked. I've forced closed it through computer management and reboot the server and all workstations that access to that file. It's happening on multiple workstations and with different users. I've also saved a...
  4. Sharing an Excel file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing an Excel file: I want to share an Excel file on my network: I right click on the file and look for Give access to. Not in the list. So, I click on Properties. No Sharing tab to be found. The same thing happens with any Excel file that I try.I have Office 2017.What's happening?...
  5. Sharing an Excel file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sharing an Excel file: I want to share an Excel file on my network: I right click on the file and look for Give access to. Not in the list. So, I click on Properties. No Sharing tab to be found. The same thing happens with any Excel file that I try.I have Office 2017.What's happening?...
  6. Sharing an Excel file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File is locked for editing by "another user"

File is locked for editing by "another user": Users reported that files are locked for editing by "another user", but actually no one is using those files.We are using the NetApp OnTapp File server and they said that it is not a storage issue.How can we solve the issue?...
  8. EXCEL - SHARING OF A WORKBOOK WITH MULTI USERS

EXCEL - SHARING OF A WORKBOOK WITH MULTI USERS: I have created a master workbook and need to share this with multiple users. Each user only needs to see the columns and rows applicable to them other users info must be hidden and I then need to merge these files so that all the information pulls through to my master...
  9. Sharing a File with another user on my PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sharing a File with another user on my PC: I have set up my PC on Windows Ten with Microsoft Office 07. I am the administrator and I have one other user who is not an administrator. I have a file that I want to share and I've followed the protocol for sharing using the Properties, Security, Adavaced route and...
  10. Excel File Lock Changes Between Users Whilst in Use

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel File Lock Changes Between Users Whilst in Use: Hi, I've come across a strange issue with a few Excel files on our file server. A user (user1) opens an .xlsx file, works on the file and keeps it open for approx 1hr. Another user (user2) opens the same file, and isn't notified that the file is locked and can only be...