Windows 10: Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

Discus and support Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am part of Local Administrator group on a Windows 2016 File server. D:\ drive is shared named "NERC" with Share Permission as Read-Only for Everyone... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mayank J, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Mayank J Win User

Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

I am part of Local Administrator group on a Windows 2016 File server. D:\ drive is shared named "NERC" with Share Permission as Read-Only for Everyone and Security Permission as Full Control to Local Administrator group. When accessing remotely like \\<servername>\NERC\ I am having Admin privileges on the drive, but while accessing it locally over RDP session on the server, I am getting Access Denied screenshot attached

:)

Mayank J, Sep 19, 2022

2. How to stop sharing folder for windows 10?

Referring to following link, I would like to know on how to stop sharing folder for windows 10.

I cannot find Stop Sharing option on step 5.

Use these steps to stop sharing any folder on Windows 10:

1. Open Start.
    2. Search for Computer Management and click the top result to open the experience.
    3. Expand the Shared Folders branch from the left pane.
    4. Click the Shares item.
    5. Right-click the folder that you no longer want to share and the Stop Sharing option.
    Furthermore, ADMIN$ is found to be Remote Admin under computer management.

There is no option to stop it as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop sharing and remote?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

How to stop sharing network folder on Windows 10 - Pureinfotech

PublicMicro, Sep 19, 2022
  3. Anwille Win User
    cant access shared folder

We would suggest you to try accessing the shared folder using the path and see if that helps. Follow the steps mentioned below:

Press Windows key + R, to open Run dialog box.

Type \\shared folder path and click on OK.

However, you may try providing permissions to the folder where the files are saved and see if you are able to access the files. Refer the steps mentioned below:

Navigate to the location on the PC through which the files are shared.

Right click on the folder and select Properties.

Click on Sharing tab, and click on Advanced Sharing.

Now, select the checkbox for Share this folder.

Click on Permissions, select the check box for Allow Full Control.

Click on OK (Twice).

If an IT Administrator manages the folder, then you may have to get in touch with the administrator to reset or grant permissions to access the file.

Anwille, Sep 19, 2022
  4. Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

Cannot access the hidden folder share on my remote computer

What you are encountering is actually expected behavior for these default shares and involves remote UAC which prevents local admin level users from running with elevated permissions when connecting over a network. Note that this only applies when the system is not in a domain.

Remote UAC can be disabled via the registry, but my suggestion would be to simply create another share for these locations while leaving the current shares in place as well.

As an example, for the root of your C: drive, you could create another share called C_Drive$. Now the C: drive has two shares - the original which was named C$ and also C_Drive$. You should be able to connect using C_Drive$.

hsehestedt, Sep 19, 2022
Thema:

Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

1. Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally - Similar Threads - Shared Folder accessible

2. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.: 1. I noticed in my Management console I have Share Name "IPC$" no folder path, and with description "Remote IPS". As well as I have another Share Name "ADMIN$" folder path "C:\\WINDOWS" and description 'Remote Admin.' I suspect that this may not be good, as it is my computer,...
  3. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.: 1. I noticed in my Management console I have Share Name "IPC$" no folder path, and with description "Remote IPS". As well as I have another Share Name "ADMIN$" folder path "C:\\WINDOWS" and description 'Remote Admin.' I suspect that this may not be good, as it is my computer,...
  4. IPC$ and ADMIN$ appear as remote shared folders - and Admin access.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally: I am part of Local Administrator group on a Windows 2016 File server. D:\ drive is shared named "NERC" with Share Permission as Read-Only for Everyone and Security Permission as Full Control to Local Administrator group. When accessing remotely like \\<servername>\NERC\ I am...
  6. Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally

Shared Folder accessible remotely with Admin permission but inaccessible locally: I am part of Local Administrator group on a Windows 2016 File server. D:\ drive is shared named "NERC" with Share Permission as Read-Only for Everyone and Security Permission as Full Control to Local Administrator group. When accessing remotely like \\<servername>\NERC\ I am...
  7. Local Admin Rights & Remote Desktop Access Permission

Local Admin Rights & Remote Desktop Access Permission: Hello All, Good morning! In my environment now a days its difficult to manage granting Local Admin Rights and RDP access to the particular users on their particular host , as the GPO size is increasing to assign separate policy though "Restricted Group" settings. Even I...
  8. Shared Folder Inaccessible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shared Folder Inaccessible: My office LAN is on a Windows 7 PC. It's a small LAN, with just one main PC and five other PCs accessing the main shared folder. All my colleagues are able to access the shared folders. They have Windows 7. However, I am running Windows 10, and in the last fortnight, suddenly...
  9. local network sharing folders permission issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    local network sharing folders permission issues: How do I fix access issues on my local network? I tried doing a full control setting on the other family member network computer. The shared folder shows up, but I still can't get access to the contents of the folder....
  10. ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ADMIN Permission to access USERS folder: I am the Administrator of this computer but why won't windows 10 allow me to access users file folder? Getting confused. How do I get permission to open the USERS folder? By the way I'm using the NETWORK to access my other computers....