Windows 10: Shared folders will not access on Homegroup after format

Discus and support Shared folders will not access on Homegroup after format in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey guys, this one has me stumped. I have a network of 4 pc's in my house. My main PC that has all my media failed and required a format. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DJLeeZ, Dec 3, 2017.

1. DJLeeZ Win User

Shared folders will not access on Homegroup after format

Hey guys, this one has me stumped.

I have a network of 4 pc's in my house. My main PC that has all my media failed and required a format. After fixing it all, re-joining it to the homegroup I receive this message (pic attached) when trying to access all my media on any other pc on the network. Ive set all security permissions and share permissions that I usually do that lets me use the pc on the network normally. Has anyone seen this? Is there a fix?

:)

DJLeeZ, Dec 3, 2017
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

Where to control Network shares.

Hi! Vanessa

Thanks for the reply but no effect on Network Share. More so no option in Network & Sharing Centers, advanced sharing settings seems to have an effect. After setting up a Microsoft Network, total access is given to network users on default shared library
    folders. No password required anymore. Yes at the time I ticked save username and password, thinking I could disable it later. Then use HomeGroup to share. But after HomeGroup setup the Network User folder was once again accessible by network users.

Teddy2016, Dec 3, 2017
  3. RandomSF Win User
    Cannot write to a Homegroup share (need permissions problem)

I had a Homegroup between a wirelessly networked laptop and a wired computer.

With both machines running, I left the Homegroup on each.

Shutdown the laptop.

Reboot the main computer and create a Homegroup.

Share the entire User folder and all standard libraries with Read/Write access to the Homegroup and wait for it to complete.

Share an additional folder outside the Homegroup with RW access to the Homegroup.

Boot the laptop and join the Homegroup.

The printer shared from the main computer works from the laptop.

Share the entire User folder to the Homegroup with RW access.

Copying files from the main computer to the laptop works without problem, i.e., I can read files.

Trying to copy a small file from the laptop and try to paste it to the main computer any folder gives:

Fails with Destination Folder Access Denied. You need permission to perform this action.

I cannot Write to the main computer.

I can write to the other shared folder on the main computer.

It is only anything within the User folder that I cannot write to.

RandomSF, Dec 3, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Are you using short cuts set before format as they won't work as it's not the same server even if the names the same

Samuria, Dec 3, 2017
  5. DJLeeZ Win User
    Sorry, what do you mean by shortcuts set before format?

DJLeeZ, Dec 4, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    The photo looks like your trying to access via short cuts to the drives?

Samuria, Dec 4, 2017
  7. DJLeeZ Win User
    Oh right! No that's just the shared drive files via homegroup on my main media pc, not shortcuts. They show up as per usual as clickable folders, but as I said every time I try to open them now I get that message rather than them actually opening.

DJLeeZ, Dec 4, 2017
  8. DJLeeZ Win User

Well, i was able to fix my problem. Ill put my results in just in case someone else comes across this message, it may help.

What my issue seemed (?) to be related to was the name of the user account after my format. I had named my pc:

.EXE

I reformatted after my first problem and renamed the pc .EXE and the same problem happened again of being unable to access it on the network.
    Upon a third reboot I named the pc Morpheus. And lo and behold all pc's could access the computer again. So it seems to me it was related to the naming of the user account. Maybe the . at the beginning of the named account had something to do with it? Im not sure but im all good now im not using that name. Maybe this helps someone someday!

DJLeeZ, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Shared folders will not access on Homegroup after format - Similar Threads - Shared folders access

2. No access to the shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to the shared folder: Hi all, I have an issue with the shared folders. I did share a few folders from my PC, but they are not visible either from my laptop or streamer Dune HD base. I do see that the folders are shared when I check their status in the "Properties". In addition, I do see that the...
  3. Shared folder not accessible

Shared folder not accessible: I was trying to access a shared folder from my laptop on my PC (Both are running Windows 10) when it told me that he couldn't connect to it. Diagnostics say that there might be something wrong with the DNS-Server. I also tried pinging the PC and it worked perfectly. The...
  4. Shared Folders Access

Shared Folders Access: After the latest update, in File Explorer>Network I can see computers but cannot access the shared folders on one computer. Shared folders on another computer are fully accesible. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I've searched the web and tried fixes with services.msc and...
  5. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  6. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  7. Shared Folder Access

Shared Folder Access: Hi All, I had a windows 7 machine built to share a folder on my workgroup network. I slowly grew my network and begun getting an error that there was too many simultaneous connections. I was told to upgrade to server 2016 STD so i purchased it and have it installed and...
  8. shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed

shared folders not accessible after HomeGroup removed: I have three computers, two of them connected directly to the router, one over WiFi. All three of them run the latest version of Win 10 built 1803 (build 17134.191) . Ever since I upgraded the computers to 1803 and HomeGroup was removed, I have been having problems with...
  9. homegroup sharing

homegroup sharing: I have a new laptop with windows 10 Pro. I have an older home pc with windows 10 home. I set up homegroup on the laptop and received the homegroup code but do not see where to enter that share code on the home pc. I just want to have access to pictures on both. I setup...
  10. Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials

Homegroup problem - accessing shares asks for credentials: Well, this problem is making me NUTS... Several PCs in my store.. some running W7 starter, some W10 Home pro. A few days ago suddenly I could no longer access a folder on another W10 computer, where we tend to store a lot of important documents. The computer where the...