Windows 10: Shared printer not printing

Discus and support Shared printer not printing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Client uses a HP 1515 series printer/scanner connected to a desktop via USB and shared. The printer does not print from the laptop to the share - it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chrismine, Aug 31, 2015.

1. chrismine Win User

Shared printer not printing

Client uses a HP 1515 series printer/scanner connected to a desktop via USB and shared. The printer does not print from the laptop to the share - it initializes a print job and seems successful but NO page coming from printer.

After lots a trail and error I discovered that the printing from the laptop is successful when there has been a print made from the desktop machine and printing then work for the session until one or both machines restarted.

Both computers runs Windows 10. The problem also happened when both machines were still running Windows 7.

Ideas appreciated.

:)

chrismine, Aug 31, 2015

2. "Let Windows manage my default printer" won't stay disabled

The issue with changing default printers is caused by sharing printers on network. It's a bug that Microsoft fails to acknowledge and address. It's very simple actually.

You cannot share a printer, if you have multiple printers connected to your computer and you want one specific printer on your computer to stay as default.

If you share a printer on your computer and then someone prints to that printer from another computer,

then the default printer will be changed to that printer. (That's it.)

Turn off print sharing and I guarantee if you have checked off (do not manage my printers for win 10). You will never see your default printer change again from what you have set.

There is no simple way to deal with this. Essentially anytime you want to print from your computer that shares any of it's printers, you will have to change the printer selected, right click and make default prior to print or you may end up printing to the
    shared printer if a print job was sent last from another computer to yours.

Microsoft needs to fix this problem it is really annoying!

creditfish, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Configure Printer On E72

Also,

If I dont have a wirless printer or a network printer with Lan,

Can I print to it from mobile using regular sharing?

Maybe share it over the internet and print?

Thanks...

Gb_007---01, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Shared printer not printing

Sorta sounds like the printer is going to sleep, and doesn't wake up till you print from the USB connected computer. I have this issue with my Brother Wireless Laser printer, it goes into a deep sleep mode. I haven't found a way to turn mine off yet...still looking. So, you might want to look into sleep settings for your printer.

play2mefish, Aug 31, 2015
  5. chrismine Win User
    chrismine, Aug 31, 2015
  6. RWOne Win User
    Blast, I hate shared printers. Not your fault, that one doesn't have a network connector ...

RWOne, Aug 31, 2015
  7. chrismine Win User
    Client did not ask me, I would've recommend a wireless printer.

chrismine, Aug 31, 2015
  8. RWOne Win User

I don't recommend wifi for clients either, too many user induced issues, Ethernet and a statically set IP FTW in an office environment.

Does sound like a sleep issue on the printer though, try logging onto it thru its web interface and see if you can find something there.

RWOne, Aug 31, 2015
  9. yeah, my brother printer is wireless only...I wish I had seen that before I purchased it, because I would of made sure it had an Ethernet card in it too. I agree with RWOne about the printer with an Ethernet card. The only way to go...

play2mefish, Sep 1, 2015
  10. KACI Win User
    Several months ago when I decided to ditch my inkjet I decided on a Brother 2360 laser printer. Although I didn't get it from Amazon there were a number of reviews with the same problem as your having. I don't remember the fixes but several figured out how to go into the settings of the printer itself and fix the issue. You might want to look at some of those reviews and see if that will help you out.

The printer has worked flawlessly for me. All my Win 10 machines added it without any problems as did my iphones and ipad.

11. I have gone into settings and turned sleep off and or set to 0 as everyone suggests, but it still goes into sleep mode. I figure when the next firmware upgrade comes along for the printer, that will probably solve the issue. In the mean time, its not a big deal...since I sit right next to the printer, I just turn it off and then turn it back on, and a printing I go!

play2mefish, Sep 1, 2015
  12. chrismine Win User
    I have disabled power management on the USB ports and also disable the Auto Power Off setting for the printer. It was set to power off after 2 hours.

According to the client it is working now.

Thanks for your responses.

chrismine, Sep 1, 2015
  13. RWOne Win User

Hey, if it had the setting but it isn't working, you don't have to wait for the next FW image, try re-flashing the latest one and see if that restores that to functionality. (Caveat is if it allows you to re-flash the same version, I know some small phone PBX systems that won't, you have to downgrade to one below and then back up.)

RWOne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Shared printer not printing - Similar Threads - Shared printer printing

2. Cant share printer on print server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant share printer on print server: Cant share new printer on printserver Server 2012 R2Event ID 315:The print spooler failed to share printer *Printername* with shared resource name *Printername*. Error 5. The printer cannot be used by others on the network.All other existenting printers are shared and work...
  3. Shared printer is printing a blank page.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shared printer is printing a blank page.: I have a printer connected with my desktop CPU with a USB cable and then I enabled the share option and installed it on my Laptop. Now when I print from my desktop everything works fine but when I try to print from the laptop a blank page is printed every time and it doesn't...
  4. Network printing to a shared printer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network printing to a shared printer: I have spent many hours on this and still have not found a solution.How can I reestablish the capability to print to a shared printer on a Windows 10 home network?All computers have 21H2 installed.I'm at a loss as to why Microsoft has still not solved this issue.A successful...
  5. Network printing to a shared printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network printing to a shared printer: I have spent many hours on this and still have not found a solution.How can I reestablish the capability to print to a shared printer on a Windows 10 home network?All computers have 21H2 installed.I'm at a loss as to why Microsoft has still not solved this issue.A successful...
  6. Network printing to a shared printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Printer Sharing won't print

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer Sharing won't print: Hi, I have 2 PC's on my office had a same problem, both of them have a sharing printer from a different PC and different Printer. The problem is every time I print either it picture or file excel, word, notepad the print job always show "local downlevel document" and it keep...
  8. difficulty printing on shared printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    difficulty printing on shared printer: After win 10 update we face difficulty printing on shared printer in small network. Errors 0x0000011b and 0x000004005 erupts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difficulty-printing-on-shared-printer/2ac50354-136d-4482-8649-d5abea406470
  9. Trouble printing to shared printer

Trouble printing to shared printer: Hi Everyone, This has been a tough one, never run into an issue like this before. I have a printer shared through a PC on the network, it was working fine until it appears MS updates may have broken it recently. It is the only thing that changed recently. the weird thing is...
  10. Shared printer print blank pages

Shared printer print blank pages: I have a client using a Samsung ML-1865W series laser printer connected via USB to his Windows 7 machine. The printer is shared and a Windows 10 based PC prints via the share to the printer. Problem is that when printing from the Windows 10 machine every pages that print is...