Windows 10: Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

Discus and support Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi to all. I am having an annoing problem with shared printers. The user that share a printer lose the default printer in any case when another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tremore, Mar 1, 2016.

1. tremore Win User

Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

Hi to all.

I am having an annoing problem with shared printers.

The user that share a printer lose the default printer in any case when another user print on this shared and it turn immediatly default printer only for the user that share the printer.

The printer shared is a label printer without network port and all was working very well before this , in my opinion, unusefull improve.

All user have the " not manage default option" , win 10 pro but seems that "default option" do not effect at all with shared printers.

It is clear that is a very bad working for the sharing printer user that have to check every time what the actual default printer.

any suggestion or is it a win 10 bug ?

ciao

:)

tremore, Mar 1, 2016

2. Network-Shared Printer: Remote Printing changes default printer on *host*

Problem Description (encountered multiple times at several customers' networks):

Although the "Let Windows manage default printer" ist disabled (HKCU\\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows LegacyDefaultPrinterMode set to 1), the default printer on a hosting win 10 pc is getting changed as soon as another remote win10-host
    is printing to that shared printer.

For example:

An arbitrary USB printer is attached to host A and shared via local network.

Additionally, another printer is attached to host A and is the system's default printer (and is supposed to stay like that!).

Now when a user starts printing on host B to the shared printer on host A, the default printer on *host A* is getting changed to the shared printer instead of the other one.

Is this an already known bug in Win 10 (Build 1511 btw.)? Are there any known workarounds?

ChristianFonden, Mar 1, 2016
  3. "Let Windows manage my default printer" won't stay disabled

The issue with changing default printers is caused by sharing printers on network. It's a bug that Microsoft fails to acknowledge and address. It's very simple actually.

You cannot share a printer, if you have multiple printers connected to your computer and you want one specific printer on your computer to stay as default.

If you share a printer on your computer and then someone prints to that printer from another computer,

then the default printer will be changed to that printer. (That's it.)

Turn off print sharing and I guarantee if you have checked off (do not manage my printers for win 10). You will never see your default printer change again from what you have set.

There is no simple way to deal with this. Essentially anytime you want to print from your computer that shares any of it's printers, you will have to change the printer selected, right click and make default prior to print or you may end up printing to the
    shared printer if a print job was sent last from another computer to yours.

Microsoft needs to fix this problem it is really annoying!

creditfish, Mar 1, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Not a Windows bug. Helps to know the model and manufacturer of thr label printer.

bro67, Mar 2, 2016
  5. tremore Win User
    brother ql-570

any idea to solve?

tremore, Mar 3, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    If you can use a Network Print Server that is compatible with it, you can use it on the network without having a computer. If Cups has that model, you could just use a Raspberry Pi 2 for handling the print jobs.

bro67, Mar 4, 2016
  7. tremore Win User
    thank you for your replay.

But you seggest to use Network Print Server in order to solve a problem that shows only with win 10 ( xp, seven, 8, 10 first built do not have this problem) because in your opinion/expirience win 10 will never manage correcly a shared printer ?

How you call a new feature (printer default manage) that run unaspected result? I call it a bug.

There is a way to cut-off this unusefull feature?
    Everything was so easy before and I would like to avoid to increase costs and network maintenance ( Network Print Server).

Belive me it is a creasy situation for user that shares his printer. It is impossible to the control were will go his prints if meanwhile somebody start printing on his shared printer.

Were is a correct place to complain microsoft for this problem?

thank you for you help

tremore, Mar 4, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

Connected shared printers and scanners to a dedicated workstation is going away. Using something like a Raspberry Pi running Cups would solve it.

The issue is with having a piece of hardware that may not be supported by Windows 10, but still supported by earlier Windows versions.

bro67, Mar 5, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    Berton, Mar 5, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    That will not work for the OP, since the printer was disco'd after Windows 2000, but Brother was able to make the driver work for XP & Vista. After that, it was no longer supported and there is no way that this dinosaur will work for the OP, even with CUPS, after I was able to do a little more research.

The OP needs to get an updated device and toss this one into the E-Cycle bin.

bro67, Mar 5, 2016
  11. tremore Win User
    Sharing Ql-570 works very well with 10 and descoverable.

The only bad iussue is that the 10's last buit has intruduced an unusefull feature that by default change the default printer (forcing users default).
    This drive my user creazy with normal activity with network printer before I found that it can be switch off.

WINDOWS DEFAULT MANAGE

Problem still there only for share printers and it is not a matter of drivers.

I hope MS will cut off this new feature.
    Please MS manage your business not my printers. *Smile

Just need to stop this help not needed.

tremore, Mar 5, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Again the problem is that Brother no longer maintained the drivers for this device after XP SP3 came out, which was the same time that Vista hit the market. There is nothing in this world that will make that discontinued piece of hardware work with any modern OS.

E-Cycle it and buy a new one that is will last you for a few more years. You may be able to get a refurb unit that is a couple of years old that may last you for a couple more years. In reality there is nothing magical out there that will make it work. It is not a Microsoft problem, it is the manufacturer seeing the fact that there is no reason to maintain drivers for a device that has been outdated since 2000, but hung in there, because they were not ready to release the unit that they did when 7 hit the market.

You need to realize that if you are running a business, anything like computers, etc are wrote off on the first year and out of date in six months. No one wants to do business with someone who is still using equipment from a decade and a half ago. Do you and your business a favor and replace the old Dinosaur with a new one.

Once again this is not a Microsoft problem. It is a manufacturer issue that is called "Obsolete Marketing", that has been going on since the first wheel and wagon was invented.

bro67, Mar 5, 2016
  13. Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

+1 +1+1
    In business you need up to date printer and scanner
    You can pick a brand new one up over here in UK for under £100
    With Wi-Fi and a years supply of ink thrown in

I brought 6 months ago with my daughter or there about, 25 HP Envy Printer Scanner
    Because we brought in bulk we got them for about £50 each
    All Wi-Fi and all working with windows 10 also at the time a years supply of ink and paper
    Straight from HP themselves

hTconeM9user, Mar 5, 2016
  14. Remind me if you run a business not to come to you with trying to run a 16 year old printer

hTconeM9user, Mar 5, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    hTconeM9user, I ended up getting a Brother Laser HL-2280dw, since we only use Black ink and scan to fax a lot.

I got tired of buying Ink cartridges every 6 months after they sat and dried out from non use.

When my kids were in high school, they would constantly print stuff. Now that they are on their own, it sits more then used.

I did not realize when I got it that it did not do Airprint, so I got the Lantronix Home server, which I could have just spent what I paid for that on the next printer up.

bro67, Mar 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage - Similar Threads - Shared printer problem

2. Shared printer problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shared printer problem: I have 2 computers connected via ethernet cable to the same router. There is a printer connected via USB to one computer. I cannot get the second computer to access the printer.I have turned on sharing, and ensured that the printer is set to be shared.I have tried to connect...
  3. Shared printer problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shared printer problem: I have 2 computers connected via ethernet cable to the same router. There is a printer connected via USB to one computer. I cannot get the second computer to access the printer.I have turned on sharing, and ensured that the printer is set to be shared.I have tried to connect...
  4. Shared printer problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Sharing Printer problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Printer problem: I'd like to share my win10 printer in Xp. I know this isn't an xp forum but hoping someone can help me anyway as w10 related. XP "sees" the printer okay but then shows a 'Connect To' dialog wanting a User/Password. The win10 machine has been setup to not ask for this...
  6. Windows 10 printer sharing problem

Windows 10 printer sharing problem: Hello, I have a problem with windows 10 and a dot matrix epson lx350 printer. I installed the printer and it works ok on the host, I shared it across the network, and then I added it to the other pcs in the network. The problem is that the network printing works only until...
  7. Windows 10 Share Printer Problem

Windows 10 Share Printer Problem: I have two Windows 10 Computer one locally installed Epson LQ 690 its working fine but I share the same printer and try to connect with second computer I can see the printer when I click the printer its ask to install the driver when I click yes its give message "Windows can...
  8. Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off

Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off: Hi, We have a bunch of people that their printer keeps switching from a defaulted network printer, printing from a print server on a domain controller to a locally installed printer. We use group policy preferences to add the printer to the user profile and let windows...
  9. Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF"

Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF": Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand that Windows 10 has a new feature that automatically sets your effective default printer to the last device used (unless you explicitly turn OFF the "Let Windows manage my default printer" feature). I have turned this feature OFF (and...
  10. Printer Problems and File Share Problems

Printer Problems and File Share Problems: After upgrading to Windows 10 I had printer problems with my wireless HP printer. I could print from the laptop but not the desktop. The desktop installation had deleted the IP address to the printer. I had to re-install it from disk and do some tinkering. Now both printers...