Windows 10: Shared video memory

Discus and support Shared video memory in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have a problem that i would like to solve. I'm using a laptop with an intel HD4000 graphics and a Nvidia GeForce GT720M and 6 GB of RAM. The CPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SamuelLatt, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Shared video memory

Hi, I have a problem that i would like to solve. I'm using a laptop with an intel HD4000 graphics and a Nvidia GeForce GT720M and 6 GB of RAM. The CPU is an intel core i5-4300U and i am using windows 10. My GPU in use is the GT 720M with 2048 MB of VRAM. I don't know why, but my system shares 3GB of RAM with it. I would like to know how can i lower the amount. Thanks.

:)

SamuelLatt, Nov 8, 2019

2. Dedicated, virtual and shared video memory

I have a little bit confusion about video memory types

I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M with Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Intel HD Graphics 530)

Specifications of my laptop suggest that I have 2 GB of memory on graphics chip. In task manager it says that I have 2 GB of dedicated GPU memory. This is clear for me.

In task manager it also says that I have 8 GB of shared GPU memory. I'm not really sure what that means, but I would guess it's the extra memory that my laptop can use in case it runs out of those 2 GB, probably taken from RAM and shared between Nvidia and
    Intel chips. In task manager it says that for Intel HD Graphics 530 chip I only have those 8 GB of shared memory. No dedicated though.

So far it's clear to me.

When I check if I can run the game in System Requirements Lab's website it always shows that I have 4 GB of dedicated video memory

It also shows the same in Piriform Speccy (software that shows system stats of my device), more specifically it says Physical Memory 2047 MB, Virtual Memory 2048 MB. Another similar software CPU-Z only lists 2 GB of video memory.

In some games in graphics settings it shows how much video memory I have and how much of that will be used if I change graphics settings. Depending on game it might say that I have 2 or 4 GB.

I am usually monitoring performance in Task Manager while playing games. Some games, like Dirt Rally uses 100% of Nvidia chip plus between 40 and 50 % of Intel, while other games, like Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor only uses Nvidia

Can someone explain all this confusing memory listings? What is the difference between all those three and how much video memory do I actually have? Do I have 2, 4, 10 or 12 GB? And how can I use all of it so I can run games in higher quality?

Moved from: Windows / Gaming on Windows 10

NormundsRoger, Nov 8, 2019
  3. And8717 Win User
    System Shared Memory

Hi,

I have this issue:

I installed a new GPU on my PC (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti) and after that my System information has changed so..

Before:

Installed Memory (RAM): 16.00 GB

After:

Installed Memory (RAM): 16.00 GB (7.95 GB usable)

Now I have 2 questions:

• is possible decrease or disable the Shared System Memory? (I can't from bios)
    • in my video card info the Shared System Memory amounts to 4070 MB where are the others 4 GB of my RAM..
      why only 7.95 GB usable an not 12 GB?

Thanks a lot

Andrea

And8717, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Shared video memory

Decreasing Shared Video Memory

Since you only have 512MB dedicated to the video memory - I am unsure what the worry is? Sure - there is MORE AVAILABLE if needed, but that same amount is also available to your system as just usable (AVAILABLE) system memory. That's the point of it being
    'shared'.

Are you running into trouble with something telling you that either you do not have enough system memory or enough video memory (or, would be weird - but might as well ask, too much of one or the other?)

Shenan Stanley, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Shared video memory

1. Shared video memory - Similar Threads - Shared video memory

2. Video memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video memory: Hello microsoft,My video memory has suddenly decreased to 6000mb after a recent Windows update, and I'm not sure how to get my original memory back. My original memory ram was 8192Mb. How do I change back to it...
  3. Video memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video memory: Hello microsoft,My video memory has suddenly decreased to 6000mb after a recent Windows update, and I'm not sure how to get my original memory back. My original memory ram was 8192Mb. How do I change back to it...
  4. Video Memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video Memory: My dedicated video memory is just 32mb even though it can support 1779mb. I tried BIOS settings and kept it to 256mb which was maximum there then also it is showing just 32mb I even tried that GMM in Intel Regedit that too didnt work Pls help me[ATTACH]...
  5. video sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    video sharing: how do i share my video with others once it has been completed on the photo app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-sharing/60e73569-49e8-418b-9b04-306b4f96c46e
  6. Video Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Memory: How do I add video memory to my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-memory/0275b67c-b2aa-44ba-b4fc-46831a315402
  7. video memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video memory: how do I get more video memory I need 2gb I only have 1 gb its for age of empires 2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-memory/002cd2d1-0c46-4d8a-bccb-ba7ddb616714
  8. video memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video memory: How Can I delete video memory im wanting to download Ark but it says I have 1GB of video memory when 16GB of it is being used. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-memory/f3b60b52-ed7f-43f4-9613-f19e92805e76
  9. video memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    video memory: How Can I delete video memory im wanting to download Ark but it says I have 1GB of video memory when 16GB of it is being used. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/video-memory/f3b60b52-ed7f-43f4-9613-f19e92805e76
  10. video sharing

in Windows 10 Customization
    video sharing: I cant share created content through Microsoft and need to know why , I just keep getting green or pink screens heeeeeelp ! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/video-sharing/a111f349-81ed-4c31-b193-25fe13c9432b