Windows 10: Sharepoint Online: Using the URL file preview from Details pane

Discus and support Sharepoint Online: Using the URL file preview from Details pane in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi everyone, crossposting this from Stack Exchange. I don't exactly expect an answer because of just how peculiar the question is but I'll try anyway.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by fenrir0wulf, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Sharepoint Online: Using the URL file preview from Details pane

Hi everyone, crossposting this from Stack Exchange. I don't exactly expect an answer because of just how peculiar the question is but I'll try anyway. I'm trying to make a document library containing PDF files and URL files. I want previews/thumbnails for all of the files. PDFs are easy as it's built in but I'm trying to find any possible way to have the same thing for the URLs. I found that the details pane on the URL files actually has a built in function that does in fact give the preview/thumbnail of the linked PDF file. I want to use this function directly in the page or on the URL file. How would I achieve this? Can I hook into the getpreview.ashx that seems to be the element getting them?

:)

fenrir0wulf, Jul 28, 2021

2. preview/details pane in explorer

Hi,

Setting the Preview pane to show or hide in File Explorer will apply to all folders. If you wish to hide the Preview pane in File Explorer, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Tap on View tab.
    • Click Preview Pane to view/hide it.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jul 28, 2021
  3. Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud

According to the MS post below, OneDrive on-Demand files are supposed to be viewable in the preview pane, but I can't seem to get it to work. Files that are downloaded (green checkmark) work fine, but those that are on-demand (blue cloud) don't, regardless
    of file type.

The post: File types supported for previewing files in OneDrive, SharePoint, and Teams

Setup details: We've recently migrated our files into a SharePoint directory, and have set up OneDrive on all the office computers (All relatively new Core i5/i7s, running Windows 10 pro, fully patched, and Office 365 (E5 tier), fully patched). Three computers
    in the office, all have the same issue. 25MBps broadband connection, if that is somehow relevant.

Problem details: When browsing the Sharepoint directory in Windows explorer, the preview pane is blank if the file is on-demand (has a blue cloud icon next to it). If we download the file (either by opening it, giving it a hollow green checkmark, or by marking
    to keep it always in the device, getting a solid green checkmark), the preview pane works as usual. Preview pane works just fine for other local files (not in the sharepoint or onedrive directories). The missing preview pane behavior is the same on on-demand
    files in OneDrive (not sharepoint) directories.

I can use "Extra Large Icons" view to get something vaguely resembling a preview, and those icons populate just fine (it takes a moment for the thumbnails to download, but it's pretty close to instant). This works for some files, but for documents (whether
    PDF, DOCX, or XLSX), there's just not enough detail there.

I would assume this is not possible, but the above-referenced post explicitly says that we should be able to preview these file types on on-demand files.

I've been searching through the forums and web, but can't seem to find a solution. Any ideas?

PKolasinski, Jul 28, 2021
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Sharepoint Online: Using the URL file preview from Details pane

Windows 10 Explorer File Details Pane

Hi,

If you are referring for preview pane in File explorer then follow the steps below.

• Open File explorer; open any document or file or folder.
    • Click on View on the Quick access toolbar ribbon.
    • Click on Preview pane or Details pane.
    You may please provide your suggestions in the feedback app. It will be directly referred by our
    developer’s team for further improvement.

Follow the steps:

• Go to Start, enter the phrase Windows Feedback and then select Windows Feedback.
    • See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft Music.
    • If you find similar feedback, select it, add any details and then select
      Me too.
    • To narrow your search to a specific category, pick the category that most closely matches your feedback (so it gets to the right people quickly). For example, for feedback about the Music app, select Apps > Music.
    • If you don’t find any similar feedback, select New Feedback, choose a topic from
      Select a category and then select a subcategory.
    • Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and you're done.
    Hope it helps. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jul 28, 2021
Thema:

Sharepoint Online: Using the URL file preview from Details pane

1. Sharepoint Online: Using the URL file preview from Details pane - Similar Threads - Sharepoint Online Using

2. Windows Explorer - Preview and Details panes are missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer - Preview and Details panes are missing: I don't have option to show Details and Preview Panes in Windows Explorer - View - Show menu. How can I fix that?Edition: Windows 11 ProVersion: 23H2I've already tried:Options - Folder Options - Restore DefaultsAlt + PShow preview handlers in preview pane is checkedSFC...
  3. Windows Explorer - Preview and Details panes are missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer - Preview and Details panes are missing: I don't have option to show Details and Preview Panes in Windows Explorer - View - Show menu. How can I fix that?Edition: Windows 11 ProVersion: 23H2I've already tried:Options - Folder Options - Restore DefaultsAlt + PShow preview handlers in preview pane is checkedSFC...
  4. Search and Restore file from SharePoint Online using PowerShell

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Search and Restore file from SharePoint Online using PowerShell: When having SharePoint Online, one can easily recover items from the Recycle Bin, but unfortunately, there is no search facility for the Recycle Bin from the web interface. We can use PowerShell to easily search for the item. To be able to connect, we need to install the new...
  5. How to use details and preview panes at the same time?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to use details and preview panes at the same time?: In a folder containing pictures in Windows 7, the details pane was at the bottom of the screen and the preview pane would come up on the right side, but now in Windows 10 it seems only one can be used at a time as they occupy the same space. Is there any way to change this so...
  6. OneDrive and Explorer's Preview/Details pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and Explorer's Preview/Details pane: Dear Microsoft and users, I noticed that, when you enable the Preview or Details pane while using OneDrive, Windows Explorer will "stop responding". There's probably a problem with fetching certain information form OneDrive files even when they are set to "always available...
  7. Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Preview Pane not working with OneDrive / Sharepoint Files in Cloud: According to the MS post below, OneDrive on-Demand files are supposed to be viewable in the preview pane, but I can't seem to get it to work. Files that are downloaded (green checkmark) work fine, but those that are on-demand (blue cloud) don't, regardless of file type. The...
  8. File explorer: How to show audio details in preview pane?

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer: How to show audio details in preview pane?: I would like to see more audio details in win10 file explorer preview pane, especially the channels and bitrate for movies in the *.mkv format. (I would like to see if they include DTS 5.1, languages, subtittles etc.) Before the latest creators update, this information was...
  9. adjust file preview size on file explorer details pane

in Windows 10 Support
    adjust file preview size on file explorer details pane: Hello, I was wondering about the possibility to increase the images thumbnail size on the details pane in file explorer, and to make the panel maller than allowed by default. Is it possible? Thank you for your help [img] 56199
  10. Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows: How to: Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows How to Customize Preview Details in Details Pane of File Explorer in Windows The details pane shows you see the most common properties associated with the selected file. File properties...