Windows 10: sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router

Discus and support sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; [Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 2004. OS Build 19569.rs_prerelease.200214-1419] I have recently moved and it is no longer physically possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by animadversor, Feb 25, 2020.

1. sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router

[Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Version 2004. OS Build 19569.rs_prerelease.200214-1419]

I have recently moved and it is no longer physically possible to connect my desktop PC to the internet via an Ethernet connection to my TRENDnet TEW-711BR H/W:V1.1RU wireless router. Rather, the desktop PC is connected using its Wi-Fi adapter to the internet through a Netgear wireless router via a MeshForce Whole Home Mesh WiFi System, Model M1. This works well enough, though there is some degradation of speed, which is not my immediate concern. In any case, I do not think that I shall be allowed to connect to the internet otherwise than as just described.

Before I describe what I want to achieve with your help, perhaps a brief description of the former network setup would be useful in showing what I'm familiar with and in suggesting the functionality that I should like to replicate. Previously, the TRENDnet router mentioned above was connected through its WAN port by an Ethernet cable to a cable modem. The desktop PC, a printer and an analogue telephone adapter were connected to the TRENDnet router through its LAN ports by Ethernet cables. Other devices, such as a cellular phone, connected wirelessly to the TRENDnet router. The desktop PC and the other devices were all on the same subnet and had access to the internet. What I should like to do is to connect the now-unused TRENDnet router to my desktop PC so that the router can make available through its wired LAN ports to the analogue telephone adapter, printer, etc., the internet connection that is being provided to it via its Wi-Fi adapter as described in the first paragraph. Alternatively, I suppose that I might somehow configure the TRENDnet wireless router itself to connect to the MeshForce network and then perhaps connect everything as in my previous network setup. I have some ideas about how I might do either of these, but because I am short of time for trial and error, I am hoping that someone here might be able to tell me just how the desired setup should be configured.

Any advice given will be very gratefully received.

:)

animadversor, Feb 25, 2020
  2. Darshan J Win User

Unable to share internet, Connected via WI-FI

Hi,

According our understanding you are able to connect to internet via Wi-Fi router and you are not able share the internet via your computer using hosted network command and the device is stating the message ‘no internet access’. Please provide clarity if
    our understanding is wrong.

Provide us the below information to help you better.

• Have you installed all the pending updates on the system?
    • Which build of Windows are you currently on?
    • Did you make any recent hardware/software changes to your computer?
    • Are you able to connect to different device from your computer?
    • When you say ‘Earlier it was ok. But somehow since one month I had this problem’
      Do you mean you were you able to share the internet in Windows 10 or in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 platform?

There is no requirement of two card to access and share the internet share the WI-FI, However you will be able to share the internet via command line tool if you have wired or dongle connection. Since your Connected to Wi-Fi connection, the Wi-Fi network
    card is already using its components to access the network from the Router. Same device should be used to share the internet which is not possible.

However you can Share the internet to other device directly from the router. Or you can share the internet via hotspot using wired connection using hotspot option in Windows 10. Refer the below link.

Use your PC as a mobile hotspot

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-b0d738e1d9fd/use-your-pc-as-a-mobile-hotspot

Get back to us if you require more help on your query.

Darshan J, Feb 25, 2020
  3. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Feb 25, 2020
  4. thomasaj Win User

sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router

Using Wi-Fi. Need to share this connection over ethernet.

NOTE: I do not have physical access to the modem/router that broadcasts the WI-FI I am using.

The laptop I am using is connected to the internet over wi-fi.

I have a PC that does not have wi-fi capability. I have a switch so I can connect my laptop to the PC over ethernet.

I want to share the internet connection that my laptop has with my PC.

I have Googled but results are focused on hot-spots etc.

thomasaj, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router

1. sharing a PC's Wi-Fi connection via a wired router - Similar Threads - sharing PC's connection

2. Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is not connecting the router.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is not connecting the router.: Hellowhen I trying to connect to the Wi-Fi it's not connect and showing "can't connect to the network". Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is not connecting the router for the first time I opened the windows10. When I disable the driver and enabled it will working fine,...
  3. Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect via Ethernet. No problems with connecting via Wi Fi: I have no problems connecting my HP All in One to Wifi but I can not connect with Ethernet hardwired. Please help. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-connect-via-ethernet-no-problems-with/d9c8db7d-0713-4039-b58e-40328eeed469
  4. Internet connection via Ethernet but not Wi-Fi?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet connection via Ethernet but not Wi-Fi?: So currently I'm having trouble connecting my Windows 10 Asus laptop through Wi-Fi even though my cellphone and any other device around my house has connection. Of course I'm trying to connect with the Ethernet cable disconnected. Wi-Fi used to work perfectly. Here are some...
  5. Sky router and wi fi problems.

Sky router and wi fi problems.: I recently changed my graphics from an AD Radeon to an Nvidea Geoforce graphics card and I have since not been able to connect my pc to the Internet. I run my sky router by lead direct from my pc but it doesn't want to connect. It is most frustrating, as the wifi is working...
  6. My Android is connected via my Wi-Fi modem and the PC is hard-wired to the modem

in Browsers and Email
    My Android is connected via my Wi-Fi modem and the PC is hard-wired to the modem: Completely out of the blue last night, the majority of the desktop shortcuts I have to Internet sites have stopped working! I can access them (the websites) on my Android phone, but not on my PC. I am using Firefox as my browser and Windows 10. Any thoughts as to why this...
  7. No Wi-Fi through router but other Wi-Fi devices work

No Wi-Fi through router but other Wi-Fi devices work: Hi folks! As the title suggests, and I'm sure my post count will confirm, this is my first post on the forums here. I'm having issues after an OS recovery with one of my Windows 10 machines. When I attempt to connect to my wireless router, it shows "Connected, Secured" but...
  8. Problems connecting to router via Wi-Fi, tried many different fixes

Problems connecting to router via Wi-Fi, tried many different fixes: Hello, I've got a brand new Dell XPS 13 9350 and I'm having big problems connecting to my houses Wi-Fi network. I live in a student apartment building and we all share Wi-Fi. 95% of the time I simply get the "can't connect to this network" message. The few times I manage to...
  9. Router wi-fi won't connect to some devices

Router wi-fi won't connect to some devices: I have an Asus router (a good one) which is hard-wired to 4 devices. It also has wi-fi turned on - both on 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz bands. My iPad and an iPhone connect to both bands with no problem. However, I can't connect to my Android smartphone or a PC laptop on either band....
  10. Wired connection is fine, but Wi-Fi is incredibly slow

Wired connection is fine, but Wi-Fi is incredibly slow: Hello, I've had a problem for a few weeks now. The internet connection on the computer the router's wired to is working as intended, however the wireless connection is just a lot worse. On other devices, instead of 50-60 Mbps, the speed is about 1-3 Mbps (according to an...