Windows 10: Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users

Discus and support Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two computers on my network, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 1803. Attempting to share a single folder always forces the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Christopher54, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users

I have two computers on my network, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 1803.

Attempting to share a single folder always forces the entirety of C:\Users to be shared with the network. The other computer is able to access every folder and file contained within Users. This happens irrespective of which device I attempt to share from.

Going into "properties > security" for my personal user folder, if access is only granted to 'SYSTEM', 'ADMINISTRATORS', and myself, the other computer still has complete access. Again, this is even if access is NOT given to 'Everyone' or 'Authenticated Users'.

If I go into "Computer Management > Shared Folders > Shares" I can stop sharing the user folder, but that also stops sharing the original folder I wanted to share. If I attempt to share the original folder again, the problem repeats and the whole of C:\Users is shared.

***I am very frustrated. I tried calling customer support, the person clearly had difficulty with English as their only response was "yes, network sharing does allow you to share files and folders across computers on your network". After a few more attempts to explain my problem they tried getting me to pay 100 bucks to sign up to a service so they can send a technician to my house as they had no idea what I was saying.

I would like to share some folders and files, but not others, with computers on the network. I do not want to give complete access to all user folders.

:)

Christopher54, Sep 7, 2018

2. Network Sharing of a Folder Inside User Folder

Hi, I have three computers that I share with inside my network (as shown when opening file explorer). It works fine but every time I try to share a folder that's inside the user folder the other people on the network don't just see that folder they have
    complete access to every file inside the user folder. Anyone have a suggestion that allows people to only see that particular folder inside the user folder?

For instance C:\Users\Rich\Pictures is the folder I want to share on the network but when I share the others see the whole C:\Users not just the pictures folder.

Thanks!

Rich Rockwood, Sep 7, 2018
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users

Cant access my own "users" folder through network

Hi,

After joining the existing network, have you checked if others in the network are now able to access your device or the shared folder under your name? If they are still having issues accessing the shared folder, it could be due to improper folder
    Security settings. Check if you were able to give permission to every device in your network to read and write the particular folder. After granting sharing permission to everyone, make sure that the shared folder is accessible from any computer.
    Be guided by the steps below:

Step 1: Give sharing permission to everyone

• Right-click on the folder what you want to share.
    • In that folder’s Properties, select the Sharing tab and click on the
      Advanced Sharing button.
    • Put a check mark next to the Share this folder option.
    • Click on the Permission button.
    • Now give Everyone the full permission.

Step 2: Make the shared folder accessible from any computer

• Go back to the folder’s Properties window again, select the
      Security
      tab from the top menu and click on the Edit button.
    • Click on the Add button.
    • Click on the Advanced button to find the user name.
    • Click on the Find Now button to show the list of all available users.
    • Find the user name called Everyone from that list, select it and click
      OK.
    • You’ll now see the username Everyone shown in the Users and Groups setting. Click
      OK to add this user in the main security list.
    • Click on the Everyone, put a check mark next to the
      Full control
      option, and click Apply.

Keep us updated with the results.

Aileen Alf, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users

1. Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users - Similar Threads - Sharing single folder

2. Sharing a Single Folder with Another User

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a Single Folder with Another User: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (21H1 - Build 19043.1052). I am trying to set up another user with access to a single folder and its subfolders on a new machine. I've shared this folder with that user by editing the share settings in Windows Explorer. When I log in as that...
  3. Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why?: I've been testing out sharing on my computers within a local network, and it seems that when I go "Give access to">"Specific People">"Everyone" on a folder anywhere in 'Users', then the whole of the 'Users' becomes accessible on the network. Meanwhile if I do the same thing...
  4. No access to the shared folder

No access to the shared folder: Hi all, I have an issue with the shared folders. I did share a few folders from my PC, but they are not visible either from my laptop or streamer Dune HD base. I do see that the folders are shared when I check their status in the "Properties". In addition, I do see that the...
  5. How do I share a specific folder over the network without giving complete access to my PC?

How do I share a specific folder over the network without giving complete access to my PC?: I want to share a specific folder on my PC over the network without allowing access to any other files, yet I'm finding in order to share a folder the PC's trying to access it still need to type in credentials to access my PC which also allows them to browse other files. How...
  6. Shared folder not accessible

Shared folder not accessible: I was trying to access a shared folder from my laptop on my PC (Both are running Windows 10) when it told me that he couldn't connect to it. Diagnostics say that there might be something wrong with the DNS-Server. I also tried pinging the PC and it worked perfectly. The...
  7. Users can't access to the shared network folder

Users can't access to the shared network folder: Hello, One of the user can't access to the "old" shared folder. It's weird, because i've created group "test" and "new" folder to share. Both old and new one folder got "test" group in the Security Tab (Full Control). And now. Old one say's - you dont have permission...
  8. Shared Folders Access

Shared Folders Access: After the latest update, in File Explorer>Network I can see computers but cannot access the shared folders on one computer. Shared folders on another computer are fully accesible. I am running Windows 10 Pro. I've searched the web and tried fixes with services.msc and...
  9. Shared Folder Access

Shared Folder Access: Hi All, I had a windows 7 machine built to share a folder on my workgroup network. I slowly grew my network and begun getting an error that there was too many simultaneous connections. I was told to upgrade to server 2016 STD so i purchased it and have it installed and...
  10. Access shared folder works for one user only

Access shared folder works for one user only: I have 2 desktop computers, both running Windows 10. PC1 has a shared folder (shared to "Everyone"). PC2 has 2 users. Logging in as userA I can access the shared folder on PC1. But as userB I cannot. Both users have the same user groups: Administrators and HomeUsers. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows sharing a single folder

2. sharing folder within user gives access to entire user folder