Windows 10: Sharing a specific folder on windows 10 on the network without requiring login credentials...

Discus and support Sharing a specific folder on windows 10 on the network without requiring login credentials... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I am trying to share a specific folder lying my desktop over the network, trying to make that specific folder accessible to anyone who wants to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rathan A, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Rathan A Win User

Sharing a specific folder on windows 10 on the network without requiring login credentials...

Hi

I am trying to share a specific folder lying my desktop over the network, trying to make that specific folder accessible to anyone who wants to access it without requiring them to login using the credentials of an existing user on the host PC.

However,

1. even after turning off password protected sharing in "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings", login credentials are still being asked on the other computer (mac) on the network.

2. suppose I login using my host PC login credentials, the entire C:\Users folder is exposed rather than the specific shared folder.

How can I get to share the specific folder

1. without login details

AND

2. also without exposing the C:\Users folder

List of solutions gone though but did not work:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...ndows-7/ff660257(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

https://superuser.com/questions/827...ssword-in-windows-8-10-in-a-home-network-if-a

:)

Rathan A, Sep 18, 2019
  2. TAU
    Tau Win User

Network share to require login

Alright what i am trying to do is have a password, or login required to access some shared folders on a computer. All computers are using XP Pro SP2, now i have had situations in the past were i try to access a shared folder over the network on a laptop and it asks for a username and password before it will let me access it. This is what i am trying to setup. Even if i was able to assign the folder permissions for a specific user account.

Any help?

3. TAU
    Tau Win User

Yeah iv been through all that and i cant add a user from another machine.

Right now i have a local account (on the computer with the shares) that has full control alowed, than when i try to access the folder from another machine i get a "\\servername\foldername is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Please contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon failure: Unknown username or bad password"

I just want it to prompt for username/password credentials when i try to access it from another machine.

4. Shyska Win User

Sharing a specific folder on windows 10 on the network without requiring login credentials...

Hi, Tau
    To properly share a folder there are five things you should do:

1. Disable simple file sharing.
    2. Share the folder.
    3. Set share permissions.
    4. Set folder permissions.
    5. Make sure you don't have same username/password on both machines.

Maybe it already gives you a clue?
    If not, there is some wider explanation (if you are testing all over, do it on a new folder in root space, e.g. on "C:\testshare"):

1. Go to Explorer (e.g. open My Computer). Go to menu "Tools->Folder Options...", "View" tab, Make sure "Use simple file sharing (Recomended)" is UNchecked.

2. Rightclick the folder, choose "Sharing and Security...", click on "Share this folder". Do NOT exit this window, you need it for next step, just press "Apply" button.
    After this you have a shared folder for which only your local users can get access and only to read information (can not change old or add new files).

3. On the previous window press "Permissions" button, mark "Everyone" group and check "Full Control", it is not checked by default. Close window by pressing "OK" ONE times. You should see "Sharing" tab now, leave it at that and go to next step.
    Do not use any other rights on sharing permission tab, let everyone with full access and manage anyting else on folder permission tab, it is a better practise, trust me.

4. Click on "Security" tab. There you see all the users, there you manage who can access resources and who can not. This is the part where you probably have problems.

First of all, remove all permissions. To do that, click "Advanced" button, unckeck "Inherit from parent the permission...<>", click "Remove" as an answer. Close Advanced Security Settings window by pressing "OK".

Now you have clean Security tab. You can go and see that you can not even enter the folder *Wink Sharing a specific folder on windows 10 on the network without requiring login credentials... ;)

At this point you should be looking at folder properties "Security" tab, which has no entries in "Group or user names" textbox.
    Click "Add..." button, write name of the user you want to give access, click OK. Now you have your choosen user able to view folder contents and read (open) files. You can add another access options like Modify (change files) and Write (create files) by checking permission boxes on "Allow" column.
    Add all the users you need there.
    Add user "SYSTEM" with Full Control.
    Be carefull if you add "Deny" permissions, they overide "Allow" permissions.

At this point you are all set up.

5. If someone still can access folder from another PC without giving username/password, they are working with same username and same password as a user that has access permissions on your host PC. Change that.

P.S. oh, and I assume you have passwords for your users.

Shyska, Sep 18, 2019
Thema:

1. Sharing a specific folder on windows 10 on the network without requiring login credentials... - Similar Threads - Sharing specific folder

2. Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder: Hi, I just updated my Win 11 desktop into 23H2 and found I cannot access the NAS folder via file explorer anymore. It keeps showing the username/password is incorrect. However, I have 3 PCs at home: A laptop with WIN 11 22H2, a desktop with WIN10 and this problemed one. All...
  3. Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect Network Credential for Lan Shared Folder: Hi, I just updated my Win 11 desktop into 23H2 and found I cannot access the NAS folder via file explorer anymore. It keeps showing the username/password is incorrect. However, I have 3 PCs at home: A laptop with WIN 11 22H2, a desktop with WIN10 and this problemed one. All...
  4. Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...: I am running into an issue where Windows is asking me to input the network credentials to a network shared folder. I have ensured that "remember credentials" has been checked on when inputting these credentials, yet every day I try to access the network share, I get a prompt...
  5. Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Share Folder Keeps Asking for Network Credentials Even Though Credentials Are...: I am running into an issue where Windows is asking me to input the network credentials to a network shared folder. I have ensured that "remember credentials" has been checked on when inputting these credentials, yet every day I try to access the network share, I get a prompt...
  6. Sharing Folders over network requires credentials for my university email account.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Folders over network requires credentials for my university email account.: For some reason, even though I removed my university account from both of my computers in the windows 10 settings, when I try to access a folder I have shared over my local network it askes for my university account's credentials. This is not an immediate issue, it is just...
  7. Share a Folder on a Network with specific PCs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Share a Folder on a Network with specific PCs: Hi, I want to share a folder from my Computer (PC0) with two other Computers (PC1, PC2) only in my home network. But I don't want other Computers (for example PC3) on the network to be able to access it. (I don't mind if they can see it). Is this possible? I already know...
  8. Win10 Folder Share Enter Network Credentials

Win10 Folder Share Enter Network Credentials: Hi, I'm having an issue with one laptop on my home network, I have 3 Win10 devices, they are all logged into using the same Microsoft account. I'm able to share folders between two of them but this one laptop always requests 'Enter Network Credentials' and it's not clear...
  9. Where to find login credentials for network folder sharing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where to find login credentials for network folder sharing.: Hey guys. So I'm trying to acess a folder on my pc from gfs pc like in the good old days. I always get the login wrong no matter where i change it. Ive changed every windows credential i could find in the manager and it still doest work. What specific path holds the info for...
  10. List specific shared folder in Network, not root folder

List specific shared folder in Network, not root folder: I share files on my home network between my desktop PC and my laptop. I often move files between the two computers by placing folders on the desktops and then working with them or moving them to specific folders. The network for my laptop lists its desktop folder, but for the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to share specific directory on network win 10