Windows 10: Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why?

Discus and support Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've been testing out sharing on my computers within a local network, and it seems that when I go "Give access to">"Specific People">"Everyone" on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Varlinwor, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why?

I've been testing out sharing on my computers within a local network, and it seems that when I go "Give access to">"Specific People">"Everyone" on a folder anywhere in 'Users', then the whole of the 'Users' becomes accessible on the network.

Meanwhile if I do the same thing on a folder elsewhere (nested or in the root of the drive), then network access is only granted for that folder.

Also, when sharing a folder inside 'Users' (for example, within AppData), the PC gives its address as

\\[PC NAME]\Users\[MY USERNAME]\AppData\[TEST SHARE FOLDER]

Meanwhile when the folder is outside 'Users', the address of the folder becomes

\\[PC NAME]\[TEST SHARE FOLDER]

I have seen this happen on a couple of PC's. What's up with that?

submitted by /u/Varlinwor
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Varlinwor, Jul 14, 2020

2. Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users

I have two computers on my network, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 1803.

Attempting to share a single folder always forces the entirety of C:\Users to be shared with the network. The other computer is able to access every folder and file contained within Users. This happens irrespective of which device I attempt to share from.

Going into "properties > security" for my personal user folder, if access is only granted to 'SYSTEM', 'ADMINISTRATORS', and myself, the other computer still has complete access. Again, this is even if access is NOT given to 'Everyone' or 'Authenticated
    Users'.

If I go into "Computer Management > Shared Folders > Shares" I can stop sharing the user folder, but that also stops sharing the original folder I wanted to share. If I attempt to share the original folder again, the problem repeats and the whole of C:\Users
    is shared.

***I am very frustrated. I tried calling customer support, the person clearly had difficulty with English as their only response was "yes, network sharing does allow you to share files and folders across computers on your network". After a few more attempts
    to explain my problem they tried getting me to pay 100 bucks to sign up to a service so they can send a technician to my house as they had no idea what I was saying.

I would like to share some folders and files, but not others, with computers on the network. I do not want to give complete access to all user folders.

Christopher54, Jul 14, 2020
  3. Frogger Win User
    ?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why? :)

Frogger, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why?

Cant access my own "users" folder through network

Hi,

After joining the existing network, have you checked if others in the network are now able to access your device or the shared folder under your name? If they are still having issues accessing the shared folder, it could be due to improper folder
    Security settings. Check if you were able to give permission to every device in your network to read and write the particular folder. After granting sharing permission to everyone, make sure that the shared folder is accessible from any computer.
    Be guided by the steps below:

Step 1: Give sharing permission to everyone

• Right-click on the folder what you want to share.
    • In that folder’s Properties, select the Sharing tab and click on the
      Advanced Sharing button.
    • Put a check mark next to the Share this folder option.
    • Click on the Permission button.
    • Now give Everyone the full permission.

Step 2: Make the shared folder accessible from any computer

• Go back to the folder’s Properties window again, select the
      Security
      tab from the top menu and click on the Edit button.
    • Click on the Add button.
    • Click on the Advanced button to find the user name.
    • Click on the Find Now button to show the list of all available users.
    • Find the user name called Everyone from that list, select it and click
      OK.
    • You’ll now see the username Everyone shown in the Users and Groups setting. Click
      OK to add this user in the main security list.
    • Click on the Everyone, put a check mark next to the
      Full control
      option, and click Apply.

Keep us updated with the results.

Aileen Alf, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why?

1. Sharing a thing within the 'Users' folder, gives access to all of the 'Users' folder. Why? - Similar Threads - Sharing thing within

2. Sharing My User Account Folder in File Explorer Shares the Entire \Users Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing My User Account Folder in File Explorer Shares the Entire \Users Folder: When using net share Steve=C:\Users\Steve /grant:Steve,FULL a new share named Steve pointing to C:\Users\Steve is created as I'd expect.However, if I share my user account folder C:\Users\Steve using File Explorer, a new share named Users is created which points to C:\Users,...
  3. Sharing a sub folder under 'Users' results in folder 'Users' and all the subfolders under...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a sub folder under 'Users' results in folder 'Users' and all the subfolders under...: When I enable sharing on an individual sub folder under 'Users', the 'Users' folder itself and all sub folders under get sharing enabled for them. Further, the [Share] button under [Properties>Sharing] for folder 'Users' gets greyed out. What's causing this weird behavior...
  4. sharing folders across Users

sharing folders across Users: Windows 10 I used to prev PC be able to access a folder on C:\Users\David\Desktop from a shortcut on C:\Users\Ben\Desktop. David is the Admin. Now I can't. I added Admin Rights to Users/Ben but that didn't work. When I bring up the Shortcut on Ben's Desktop, and...
  5. Sharing a Folder across Users

Sharing a Folder across Users: I used to be able but I can’t now: make a shortcut on a second user’s Desktop referencing a folder on the primary User’s Desktop. HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-a-folder-across-users/3e8581f2-bb06-4e40-bba3-58be71eff3b5
  6. User folder in network sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User folder in network sharing: [ATTACH] Hello, i want to ask, my network folder showing 'Users' and if i delete this folder from Computer Management > Shared Folder > Shares, will it damage the system or user? Thank you....
  7. Users can't access to the shared network folder

Users can't access to the shared network folder: Hello, One of the user can't access to the "old" shared folder. It's weird, because i've created group "test" and "new" folder to share. Both old and new one folder got "test" group in the Security Tab (Full Control). And now. Old one say's - you dont have permission...
  8. Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users

Sharing a single folder gives complete access to C:\Users: I have two computers on my network, a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10 1803. Attempting to share a single folder always forces the entirety of C:\Users to be shared with the network. The other computer is able to access every folder and file contained within...
  9. OneDrive Folder accessible by all users of PC

OneDrive Folder accessible by all users of PC: I have two users on my pc. One has onedrive signed in and syncing and I noticed I am able to view that onedrive folder from the other user account. I can't see any other folders under that user account so why is onedrive publicly accessible to everyone on my pc? 110885
  10. User folders State is Shared.

User folders State is Shared.: I've just noticed that my Document, Download, Pictures folders are showing as State: Shared. I haven't got any Homegroup or network sharing enabled that I'm aware of so why would I be seeing this? [img] 86792