Windows 10: Sharing absurdly slow, plus other possibly related problems

Discus and support Sharing absurdly slow, plus other possibly related problems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File sharing is absurdly slow on my home network. While I get very good speeds when accessing files and streams from the internet, when I try to move a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ricecrispies, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Sharing absurdly slow, plus other possibly related problems

File sharing is absurdly slow on my home network. While I get very good speeds when accessing files and streams from the internet, when I try to move a file from my desktop to my laptop I typically get a speed of 355kB/s, and sometimes it just stops and gives up altogether. This is just one of a cluster of SMB failures on my home network. When I try to connect to a share on my laptop from my desktop, I always get asked for my login credentials, even though I have entered them dozens of times and have ticked the box to say that I want them remembered. And often when I try to browse shares on my desktop from my laptop, it takes 20 minutes just to open a folder. Sometimes it will open two or three folders quickly and then switch into the 20 minute mode after that. And also the desktop doesn't appear in the laptop's network browser. I have to enter the address manually.

I read somewhere that disabling large send offload for the network adapters would solve the problem, but it hasn't worked in my case.

How can I get acceptable SMB performance?

:)

ricecrispies, Dec 20, 2017
  2. yukisan4 Win User

One or more network protocols are missing on this computer

That seemed to fix it (hopefully).

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I don't know if this is relevant or not, but this specific issue seems to be pretty frequent. If I ever can connect, the internet is absurdly slow (on other devices, this isn't the case). Is there any reason why only my computer has the most trouble,
    and only with one network?

yukisan4, Dec 20, 2017
  3. Problems with Windows Store Apps: Possibly related to Creators Update

muchas gracias

luceroskinner, Dec 20, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Sharing absurdly slow, plus other possibly related problems

It is the nature of Windows. Easier to just use a NAS or FTP server. Otherwise get a NAS.

bro67, Dec 21, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    No it is not nature of Windows. There is clearly something not right.

cereberus, Dec 21, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Are both networks private?

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Sharing absurdly slow, plus other possibly related problems

1. Sharing absurdly slow, plus other possibly related problems - Similar Threads - Sharing absurdly slow

2. Chrome and Video Games Running Slow, Possibly Software-Related?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chrome and Video Games Running Slow, Possibly Software-Related?: Since earlier this year, my laptop has been running quite slowly on Google Chrome and my video games. While my laptop Dell XPS 15 9570 is not the greatest out there, it has been able to run fairly demanding games at ~60 FPS on medium settings. However, I have been having...
  3. Chrome and Video Games Running Slow, Possibly Software-Related?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chrome and Video Games Running Slow, Possibly Software-Related?: Since earlier this year, my laptop has been running quite slowly on Google Chrome and my video games. While my laptop Dell XPS 15 9570 is not the greatest out there, it has been able to run fairly demanding games at ~60 FPS on medium settings. However, I have been having...
  4. Nearby sharing related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nearby sharing related: Can anybody telll me why windows nearby sharing only connect with windows not android. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nearby-sharing-related/6556e3c9-6c93-41f0-bb9c-fd6da35ad88d
  5. Nearby sharing related

Nearby sharing related: Can anybody telll me why windows nearby sharing only connect with windows not android. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nearby-sharing-related/6556e3c9-6c93-41f0-bb9c-fd6da35ad88d
  6. Problem facing related to network and sharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem facing related to network and sharing: My laptops WIFI, Bluetooth and hotspots remains off continuously. How to fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-facing-related-to-network-and-sharing/efd48dd4-916d-44fb-90de-06b6fad19485
  7. Problem facing related to network and sharing

Problem facing related to network and sharing: My laptops WIFI, Bluetooth and hotspots remains off continuously. How to fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-facing-related-to-network-and-sharing/efd48dd4-916d-44fb-90de-06b6fad19485
  8. Problem facing related to network and sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Startup Problem - possibly Win 10 related?: Since three days ago, every time I restart (or start from cold) the laptop, I get a black screen with an error text message on a blue background. Looks like something related to BIOS, but I am a bit clueless when it comes to the nitty-gritty of hardware. The error message...
  10. Copying files internally is absurdly slow STILL

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files internally is absurdly slow STILL: I know this another old issue affecting all W10 users that Msft has ignored, but since we're supposedly stuck with W10 forever, is anything ever going to be done to improve file copy speed? To duplicate a directory of about 800 mB is taking over an hour which is absurd....