Windows 10: Sharing and Access

Discus and support Sharing and Access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The setup: Three computers on a local WI-FI network. Attempting to grant full access from each computer to the other two. The C drives in all three... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarvinTeGrotenhuis, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Sharing and Access

The setup:

Three computers on a local WI-FI network. Attempting to grant full access from each computer to the other two. The C drives in all three computers are shared with full permission. Network discovery is enabled and other necessary settings in "network and sharing center" are set up.

The problematic result:

ComputerC network window has an icon for computerA but attempting to access ComputerA from computerC fails with error that computerC does not have permission. ComputerB icon shows up in the network window on computerC and all files can be accessed.

ComputerB, does not have an icon in the network window for computerA but clicking the down arrow in the address box shows access to the C drive on computerA. All files can be accessed. ComputerB does not have an icon for computerC.

No icons show up in the network window on computerA and nothing on the other two can be accessed.

Can anyone explain why these problems exist and what I might be doing wrong? Or better yet, what I can do to fix this?

:)

MarvinTeGrotenhuis, Jun 24, 2020
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Jun 24, 2020
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Sharing and Access

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

Sharing and Access

1. Sharing and Access - Similar Threads - Sharing Access

2. net share cdrive=c:\ gives Access is denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    net share cdrive=c:\ gives Access is denied: I have a brand new PC with Windows 11 preinstalled. All Windows updates are current as of today.When I open a command prompt and type this I get:C:\net share cdrive=c:\I get "System error 5 has occurred.""Access is denied."Why am I getting that error and what can I do to gain...
  3. net share cdrive=c:\ gives Access is denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    net share cdrive=c:\ gives Access is denied: I have a brand new PC with Windows 11 preinstalled. All Windows updates are current as of today.When I open a command prompt and type this I get:C:\net share cdrive=c:\I get "System error 5 has occurred.""Access is denied."Why am I getting that error and what can I do to gain...
  4. Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password: Hello,Currently trying to find a way to send a link only to specific emails with onedrive that will also allow me to password protect the link like I'm able to do when sending files via "share link with anyone" as opposed to "people you choose". Is there any way to do this?...
  5. Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password

Protecting Onedrive file share with both restrictive email access and password: Hello,Currently trying to find a way to send a link only to specific emails with onedrive that will also allow me to password protect the link like I'm able to do when sending files via "share link with anyone" as opposed to "people you choose". Is there any way to do this?...
  6. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  7. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  8. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  9. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  10. Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder

Error Code 0x80004005 When Accessing Shared Folder: Hi, I'm experiencing Error Code 0x80004005 when attempting to access a shared folder on my Windows 11 PC. This folder is hosted on another computer in the network, and I've previously had no issues accessing it. I've checked the sharing settings and permissions, but I still...