Windows 10: Sharing Files Across a Private WiFi Network Between Windows 10 pro and Windows 7 pro Computers

Discus and support Sharing Files Across a Private WiFi Network Between Windows 10 pro and Windows 7 pro Computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 pro. I updated the computer with the latest Windows update (the so called "April" or "May" update). I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DanReynolds1, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Sharing Files Across a Private WiFi Network Between Windows 10 pro and Windows 7 pro Computers

I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 pro. I updated the computer with the latest Windows update (the so called "April" or "May" update). I have an older computer on my home network running Windows 7 pro. I wanted to share files between the computers over the network as I have done for years with my Windows 7 machines. Of course, Windows 10 has done away with Homegroups. To my knowledge, I shared everything on both computers with "everyone", turned off the requirements for passwords, made sure I had the same Workgroup, and basically did everything I could on both machines to make file sharing possible. The various computers could be seen in the Network windows, but any attempts to access the other computers were met with a message that said I did not have access - see my administrator. I tried several step by step procedures I found online without success.

Today I was able, for the first time, to access my Windows 7 machine from my new Windows 10 laptop! While I still can't do the reverse, here is what I did. Using the Windows 10 laptop, open "This PC" and then click on "Add a network location" in the ribbon/toolbar. Use this wizard to connect to the desired computer. Type in \\computer name\drive and follow the instructions. Viola! You are connected. So simple, yet I had to discover this on my own.

Has anyone discovered how to access a Windows 10 machine from a Windows 7 computer in order to share files? I tried the same approach described above but Windows 7 does not have a similar wizard so I am still working on it.

Are there other ways to do this? I found it very frustrating and confusing.

:)

DanReynolds1, Jun 5, 2019
  2. KCav45 Win User

How do I get a Win 7 Pro computer to display users on a Win 10 Pro com

When I log onto a desktop computer running Windows 7 Pro and click on the icon for Windows Explorer/Networking my Windows 10 Pro notebook is shown, however the only User is Public.

The configuration on the Win 10 Pro notebook for Network and Sharing Center/Advance sharing is:
    1. Private profile has been selected and “turn on network discovery” is selected with automatic setup checked.
    2. All Networks, “Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders” is checked.

By selecting these options the Win 10 Pro notebook became visible on the Win 7 notebook. What do I need to do to allow specific Users to share Folder/Files access on computers running Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro connected to the same Private network?

KCav45, Jun 5, 2019
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    W10-home and -pro behave different on shared folders

Is your Windows 10 Pro setup for network discovery and file sharing? Look on the Network Control Panel and see if the network connected to is listed as public or private - that's the biggest indicator. It needs to be set to private to allow network discovery and file sharing.

NavyLCDR, Jun 5, 2019
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Sharing Files Across a Private WiFi Network Between Windows 10 pro and Windows 7 pro Computers

How do I get a Win 7 Pro computer to display users on a Win 10 Pro com

Check this tutorial - Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Eagle51, Jun 5, 2019
Thema:

Sharing Files Across a Private WiFi Network Between Windows 10 pro and Windows 7 pro Computers

1. Sharing Files Across a Private WiFi Network Between Windows 10 pro and Windows 7 pro Computers - Similar Threads - Sharing Files Across

2. Network Share between Windows 11 Pro Machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Share between Windows 11 Pro Machines: I am familiar with Windows networking from Domain management and have no problem setting things up at the user or group level with custom permissions. My problem is the reverse of this. I don't seem to be able to have a folder be automatically open to everyone on the LAN...
  3. Network Share between Windows 11 Pro Machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Share between Windows 11 Pro Machines: I am familiar with Windows networking from Domain management and have no problem setting things up at the user or group level with custom permissions. My problem is the reverse of this. I don't seem to be able to have a folder be automatically open to everyone on the LAN...
  4. How to network a Windows 7 Pro with a Windows 10 Pro computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to network a Windows 7 Pro with a Windows 10 Pro computer: I have a Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Version: 21H1, OS Build: 19043.2006. I would like to set up a local network between the two computers. How can I do that. Appreciate any help....
  5. How to network a Windows 7 Pro with a Windows 10 Pro computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to network a Windows 7 Pro with a Windows 10 Pro computer: I have a Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Version: 21H1, OS Build: 19043.2006. I would like to set up a local network between the two computers. How can I do that. Appreciate any help....
  6. How to network a Windows 7 Pro with a Windows 10 Pro computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. File sharing between Windows 10 pro and Windows XP professional not working on network

File sharing between Windows 10 pro and Windows XP professional not working on network: I am struggling when trying to access my OLD Windows XP Professional file system from my NEW Windows 10 Pro system and I've tried a bunch of things. First, exact configurations: OLD: Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2. Computer name: GATEWAY Workgroup:...
  8. File sharing between windows 10 home and windows 10 pro.

File sharing between windows 10 home and windows 10 pro.: I am trying to share complete drives and not just a media folder between two computers. After following the procedures as seen on Youtube. The windows 10 pro computer can open the folders on the windows 10 home computer with no issues. However, the windows 10 home computer...
  9. sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer

sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer: I have no problem accessing shared files on the windows 7 computer from my windows 10 laptop but the desktop running w7 says I don't have permission to access the laptop, what am I doing wrong?...
  10. File sharing across my private network

File sharing across my private network: Quite suddenly (I presume after a Windows 10 update) both of my TV media players are unable to access files on my Windows 10 computer. Amongst other things I have tried to turn off password protected sharing, but this change does not save correctly....