Windows 10: Sharing files and folders between Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 desktop

Discus and support Sharing files and folders between Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since buying a new HP laptop with Windows 10, I have had incomplete access to folders and files in my husband's Windows 7 desktop. All the sharing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CT49, Apr 9, 2019.

1. CT49 Win User

Sharing files and folders between Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 desktop

Since buying a new HP laptop with Windows 10, I have had incomplete access to folders and files in my husband's Windows 7 desktop. All the sharing permissions have been activated in the Advanced options of the Network and Sharing centre in both computers and files that I have in folders on his computer have been given Share status. When I go into the network, I can see his computer and the associated printers and can print from the laptop but cannot access his Users folder where my own folders are saved. Nor can he see my laptop. I could do all this fine on my previous laptop, a Dell Vostro using Windows Vista. He has a homegroup facility but it's useless for me since Microsoft removed the capability for Windows 10. It's really frustrating and I'd be grateful for any advice as to how I can get rid of this log-jam.

:)

CT49, Apr 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 9, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    Map Windows 7 Shared Folder to Win 95

Okay .. I figured it all out.

Configuring Windows 95 so it can map Windows 7 shared folders.

You need to update Windows 95 so that it can utilitze NTLMv2 network protocols (and use 128 bit encryption for authentification).
    Nothing needs to be done on the Windows 7 machine other than sharing a drive or folder.

On the Windows 95 Machine you will need a local account with the same name and password as on the Win7 machine or in the domain.
    The Windows 95 computer does not have to be a member computer in the domain (ie. does not need domain authentification)

1) Install the Distributed File System client for Windows 95 (dfs41w95.exe)
    2) Install WinSock 2.0 (w95ws2setup.exe)
    3) Install Microsoft Dial-Up Network 1.3 (MSDUN13.exe)
    (I wasn't sure what msdun13 does to the TCP/IP stack so I reinstalled winsock2.0 again)
    4) Install Internet Explorer 4.01 SP2 / 32 bit (ie40sp2.exe ... you need this or step #6 will termintate without installing)
    5) Install Microsoft Installer 2.0 (InstMsiA.exe .. you need this so Windows 95 knows what to do with the .msi file in the next step)
    6) Install Distributed Services Client for Windows 9x (dsclient9x.msi)
    7) Go into the registry editor (regedit) and go to ...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control
    Create a Key named Lsa
    Create a DWORD in Lsa named LMCompatilbility with a hex value of "3".
    8) Reboot once more.

Mapping a network drive on a Windows 7 machine should now work.

Kreij, Apr 9, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

Map Windows 7 Shared Folder to Win 95

I am able to map the folder shared by the Windows 7 machine on my XP Pro machine without problem.
    I cannot get the Windows 95 machine to map the folder shared by the Windows 7 machine.
    The Windows 95 machine will map a drive shared by an XP machine just fine.

Kreij, Apr 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Sharing files and folders between Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 desktop - Similar Threads - Sharing files folders

2. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  3. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  4. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to share files between Windows 7 and Windows 10

How to share files between Windows 7 and Windows 10: I've seen a thousand fruitless answers to this simple question. However I don't see an answer that has even a single response saying "this worked, thank you" or "file sharing between windows 7 and windows 10 is not supported". A lot of these posts are years old, so I am...
  6. Issues while sharing file between Windows 7 and Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues while sharing file between Windows 7 and Windows 10: Sharing win7 pc with win10 why won't one recognize the other? ***Original title: Sharing win7 pc with win10 why won't one recognize the other?***...
  7. sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer

sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer: I have no problem accessing shared files on the windows 7 computer from my windows 10 laptop but the desktop running w7 says I don't have permission to access the laptop, what am I doing wrong?...
  8. File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop

File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop: I have a Windows 10 Desktop PC and a Windows 7 Desktop PC. I want to be able to have access to certain folders on the Windows 10 PC to play music, videos and view/edit documents. The reverse is true, but mainly for just transferring something over. Previously I was using a...
  9. More file sharing between Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines

More file sharing between Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines: Ok, I've searched multiple places for this information and tried a great many things, but nothing is working correctly. My desktop is Windows 7, laptop is Windows 10 on my private home network that uses a single router. Both show up in each other's Network folders. I can...
  10. Sharing files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7

Sharing files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7: Is it possible to EASILY share files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-windows-10-1803-and-windows/414da0bf-34b4-4bc6-9ef2-8779f5fd4d01

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to share folders on desktop windows 10 to Laptop running windows 10

2. Msdun13.exe

3. access files between deskto and laptop windows 10

4. sharing files and folders windows 10 and windows 7