Windows 10: sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer

Discus and support sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have no problem accessing shared files on the windows 7 computer from my windows 10 laptop but the desktop running w7 says I don't have permission... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RodgerJohnson63, May 2, 2019.

1. sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer

I have no problem accessing shared files on the windows 7 computer from my windows 10 laptop but the desktop running w7 says I don't have permission to access the laptop, what am I doing wrong?

:)

RodgerJohnson63, May 2, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 2, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    File sharing between Windows 7 and Windows XP

You need to set the permisions, both on the share section, and the security tab. Also, Windows 7 requires the user account has a password to access the computer from the network.

newtekie1, May 2, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer

Map Windows 7 Shared Folder to Win 95

Okay .. I figured it all out.

Configuring Windows 95 so it can map Windows 7 shared folders.

You need to update Windows 95 so that it can utilitze NTLMv2 network protocols (and use 128 bit encryption for authentification).
    Nothing needs to be done on the Windows 7 machine other than sharing a drive or folder.

On the Windows 95 Machine you will need a local account with the same name and password as on the Win7 machine or in the domain.
    The Windows 95 computer does not have to be a member computer in the domain (ie. does not need domain authentification)

1) Install the Distributed File System client for Windows 95 (dfs41w95.exe)
    2) Install WinSock 2.0 (w95ws2setup.exe)
    3) Install Microsoft Dial-Up Network 1.3 (MSDUN13.exe)
    (I wasn't sure what msdun13 does to the TCP/IP stack so I reinstalled winsock2.0 again)
    4) Install Internet Explorer 4.01 SP2 / 32 bit (ie40sp2.exe ... you need this or step #6 will termintate without installing)
    5) Install Microsoft Installer 2.0 (InstMsiA.exe .. you need this so Windows 95 knows what to do with the .msi file in the next step)
    6) Install Distributed Services Client for Windows 9x (dsclient9x.msi)
    7) Go into the registry editor (regedit) and go to ...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control
    Create a Key named Lsa
    Create a DWORD in Lsa named LMCompatilbility with a hex value of "3".
    8) Reboot once more.

Mapping a network drive on a Windows 7 machine should now work.

Kreij, May 2, 2019
Thema:

sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer

1. sharing files between a windows 7 and a windows 10 computer - Similar Threads - sharing files between

2. How to share files between Windows 7 and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to share files between Windows 7 and Windows 10: I've seen a thousand fruitless answers to this simple question. However I don't see an answer that has even a single response saying "this worked, thank you" or "file sharing between windows 7 and windows 10 is not supported". A lot of these posts are years old, so I am...
  3. Issues while sharing file between Windows 7 and Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Issues while sharing file between Windows 7 and Windows 10: Sharing win7 pc with win10 why won't one recognize the other? ***Original title: Sharing win7 pc with win10 why won't one recognize the other?***...
  4. Windows 10 sharing all files between computers

Windows 10 sharing all files between computers: Home Groups are no longer part of 10 but I can't find how to share between my two computers? Where & How? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-sharing-all-files-between-computers/5745e6ba-d837-42c5-9bc3-18a29d7181fd
  5. File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop

File Sharing Between Windows 7 Desktop and Windows 10 Desktop: I have a Windows 10 Desktop PC and a Windows 7 Desktop PC. I want to be able to have access to certain folders on the Windows 10 PC to play music, videos and view/edit documents. The reverse is true, but mainly for just transferring something over. Previously I was using a...
  6. how to share a folder between a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer

how to share a folder between a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer: I want to share the documents folder between two computers, one running Windows 7, the other Windows 10. The modem is a Netgear Nighthawk. Thanks. Here is my Network and Sharing screen: [ATTACH]...
  7. More file sharing between Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines

More file sharing between Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines: Ok, I've searched multiple places for this information and tried a great many things, but nothing is working correctly. My desktop is Windows 7, laptop is Windows 10 on my private home network that uses a single router. Both show up in each other's Network folders. I can...
  8. WIndows 10 file sharing between computers

WIndows 10 file sharing between computers: I can access and open files in computer A that are on Computer B's hard Drives I cannot open files on Computer A from Computer B. One computer is windows 10 home and the other is WIndows 10 Pro. I have set up permissions for "everyone" on both machines and all discovery...
  9. Sharing files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7

Sharing files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7: Is it possible to EASILY share files between Windows 10 1803 and Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-windows-10-1803-and-windows/414da0bf-34b4-4bc6-9ef2-8779f5fd4d01
  10. cannot share files between windows 10 computers

cannot share files between windows 10 computers: I have had windows 10 running for a while, and I noticed that file sharing has recently stopped working. For the life of me I can't figure out what is stopping this from working. I have a desktop (windows 10) that has the files, as well as two laptops (windows 7 and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dfs41w95.exe