Windows 10: Sharing files over home network Windows 10

Discus and support Sharing files over home network Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have always been able to share over home network, one Windows 10 PC let's call it Bill and one Windows 8 Ben. Since replacing Windows 8 PC with new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SharRen61, Apr 9, 2020.

1. SharRen61 Win User

Sharing files over home network Windows 10

I have always been able to share over home network, one Windows 10 PC let's call it Bill and one Windows 8 Ben. Since replacing Windows 8 PC with new W10 I'll still call it Ben I am unable to access Ben from Bill, but fine the other way round. All permissions are set correctly, network discovery is switched on and I've run every troubleshooter I can find with no joy. When attempting to access Ben, pop up appears stating I do not have permission to access \\BEN.. contact network administrator to request access.

Bill is connected to Network via WI-FI, Ben via ethernet, never been a problem previously. Can anyone help please????

:)

SharRen61, Apr 9, 2020

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Apr 9, 2020
  3. Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 9, 2020
  4. Sharing files over home network Windows 10

Cannot open network and sharing center in windows 10

Hi Aman,

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details

• Do you get any error message, when trying to open network and sharing center?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below to fix the issue.

Method 1: Install all the Windows 10 pending updates and check if it helps.

I suggest you check for the pending updates in resolving the issue.

• In search type Check for updates and hit enter.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Windows 10 will automatically install all the pending updates.
    If the issue still persist, suggest you to try the below step to fix the issue.

Method 2: I suggest you to
    Run the DISM Tool and check.

The DISM tool checks the system health and will try to restore the files.

• Right click on the Start button, click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the
      Enter key after each command:
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Reference: I suggest you to follow the steps recommended in the below article for any network connection issues.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Apr 9, 2020
Thema:

Sharing files over home network Windows 10

1. Sharing files over home network Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Sharing files home

2. File Sharing over network in windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Sharing over network in windows 11 Home: Hi,I have windows 11 home edition. Trying to share a file over network to Azure data factory in integration run time. I have enabled the desktop sharing in the settingsTo share the file, clicked on properties but file sharing tab is not found.How do I share the file? What I...
  3. File Sharing over network in windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Sharing over network in windows 11 Home: Hi,I have windows 11 home edition. Trying to share a file over network to Azure data factory in integration run time. I have enabled the desktop sharing in the settingsTo share the file, clicked on properties but file sharing tab is not found.How do I share the file? What I...
  4. File sharing over a network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File sharing over a network in Windows 10: File sharing over a network in Windows 10 allows you to share files and folders on your computer with other users over a private or public network in your workgroup or domain. Steps to Set Up File Sharing on a Windows PCNote: These steps needs to be done on each Windows PC...
  5. File sharing over a network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing over a network in Windows 10: File sharing over a network in Windows 10 allows you to share files and folders on your computer with other users over a private or public network in your workgroup or domain. Steps to Set Up File Sharing on a Windows PCNote: These steps needs to be done on each Windows PC...
  6. File sharing over a network in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File sharing over a network in Windows 10: File sharing over a network in Windows 10 allows you to share files and folders on your computer with other users over a private or public network in your workgroup or domain. Step 1: Set Up File Sharing on a Windows PCNote: This option needs to be done on each Windows PC you...
  7. Windows 10 file sharing over home private network

Windows 10 file sharing over home private network: I want to be able to access files on my office computer from my laptop. they are both on the same wifi network and I can see the others in network. When I click on the shared file I am told I do not have permission and to contact my administrator. What am I doing wrong?...
  8. Asymmetrical Sharing of Folders over Windows 10 Home Network

Asymmetrical Sharing of Folders over Windows 10 Home Network: I have three computers purchased in 2015, 2016 and 2018 all running the very latest Windows 10. For a few years all three of them were able to share files and folders using the Share feature in W10. The 2016 computer a laptop suffered a severe operating system crash and I...
  9. Windows 10 to Windows 10 File Sharing over home network

Windows 10 to Windows 10 File Sharing over home network: Ever since Windows 10 update April 2018 came out and Homegroup was removed I have been unable to share files between my two Windows 10 computers over the home network. I tried again today. I am trying to let my wife access several photo folders on my computer. I go to her...
  10. File sharing over a home network

File sharing over a home network: Hello, By following instructions from this site for sharing files on my home network, which has two computers on it, I have been able to share files from one computer, a laptop connected to the network, with a desktop computer on the same network. I have not been able to...