Windows 10: sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error

Discus and support sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two windows 10, one desktop and one laptop. Both are connecting to the same network. Both workgroup name are the same WORKGROUP (which is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by et4891, Jan 9, 2019.

1. et4891 Win User

sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error

I have two windows 10, one desktop and one laptop.

Both are connecting to the same network.

Both workgroup name are the same WORKGROUP (which is the default)

The desktop (main computer sharing files), has two users

One admin user which have full access

One standard user which is used for network access

The admin user on the desktop shares one of the whole drive, (Hard Drive D) to the standard user who is on the same computer.

On the laptop, there is only one primary user.

This primary user goes to folder explore and enter \\NAME\ on the path

Then an authentication box pops up asking for login username and password

After inputing the standard username and password which exists on the desktop, login is successful and now the primary user on the laptop is able to see the whole drive D which is attached to the desktop.
    But somehow, when accessing to some NOT all, only SOME subfolders, I will get an error for accessing denied.
    On desktop, using the admin user, I checked if the subfolders' sharing is different from others folders but somehow the settings are the same that I did not change anything. Now this is weird, why on the laptop using the primary user, I can access the drive D and some of its sub directory BUT not all?
    If using the admin user on desktop, I tried to share the sub directory to the standard user.

Now the primary user on laptop can finally access that sub directory BUT this sub directory will then also exist into my networks' root path and this really feels weird.

I will see

\\NAME\DRIVE_D\subfolder1

\\NAME\DRIVE_D\subfolder2

\\NAME\DRIVE_D\subfolder3 (lets say this cannot be accessed, after I shared this subfolder directly then....)

\\NAME\subfolder3\ (then under \\NAME\ I would see both DRIVE_D and subfolder3)

This is not making much sense to me.

Can someone please give me some assistance?

:)

et4891, Jan 9, 2019
  2. Steve C Win User

Network Sharing File Access Problem

I've just made a breakthrough! I just tried manually enabling NetBIOS on all PCs (see below) and now each PC can see all the shared folders on every other PC. However, the net view command still gives Error 6118 - The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error [​IMG]

Steve C, Jan 9, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Need Help With File Sharing over a network

First we have to figure out if you can even get access to the computer you are trying to share you files from. So on the XP computer go to network places and type \\ComputerName, where ComputerName is the name of the Windows 8 computer you are sharing the files from.

That should allow you to see the share, even if you don't have permission to access it, you will still be able to see that the computer is sharing it. If you get an error and can't access the computer at all, then that is the first hurdle we need to address. It might also ask you for a username and password, put in the username and password for the Windows 8 computer.

Once you have access to the Windows 8 computer and can see the share, double click on it. If it lets you in, then you are golden. If it gives you an error, that is the next hurdle we need to tackle.

newtekie1, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share

Hi djeyewater,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that it can get difficult at times when your network Share. Accessing shared folders or network locations in Windows is never easy. Whether you’re at home or at work, sharing resources is always more complicated than
    it should be. As classic example is the ‘Windows cannot access computer 0x80004005’ error. However, I recommend you to follow the below steps.

1. Is that computer connected with the domain network?
    2. Were there any changes made to the operating system recently?
    3. Do you have any security software installed on the computer?
    If you open File Explorer, go to
    Network, and see an error message ("Network discovery is turned off…."), you'll need to turn on Network discovery to see devices on the network that are sharing files. I suggest you to follow the below steps.

We can go ahead and try to enable the Network Discovery from Advanced Sharing Settings.

Step 1: Turn on or off Network Discovery in Windows 10.

1. Type network in the search box and choose Network and Sharing Center in the list to open it.
    2. Select Change advanced sharing settings to move on.
    3. Choose Turn on network discovery
      or Turn off network discovery in the settings, and tap
      Save changes.

Step 2: Check if the feature is enabled.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.
    4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. Windows Feature box will open. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please unchecked the box and check
      it again.
    6. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

Step 3: Check if all the required services are running.

1. Now we will need to check four services.

2. Press Windows key + R to open Run. Then type "Services.msc" in the run box and hit enter.

The names of the services which you will need to check are:

• Function Discovery Provide Host.
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication.
    • SSDP Discovery.
    • UPnP Device Host.
    • Also Check for DHCP Client and DNS Client.
    4. Right click on the above services and then go to properties.

5. Under General tab, make sure that the Startup type is automatic and Service status is running.

6. Then go to recovery tab and change all the entries (next to 1st failure, 2nd failure and Subsequent failure) to Restart the Service.

I also recommend you to follow this article
    Changes to file sharing over a network
    in Windows 10.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No.

Mithin_EJ, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

1. sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error - Similar Threads - sharing files local

2. Access to a local network shared drive - error 0x80070043

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access to a local network shared drive - error 0x80070043: Hi, i have recently bought a Nvidia Shield and attached an hard disk 5TB to it with my plex library. Point is i still want to access the hard disk that contains also some backups, but:1. if i try to access the internal storage \\my.ip.ad.res\internal everything's normal2. if...
  3. Access to a local network shared drive - error 0x80070043

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access to a local network shared drive - error 0x80070043: Hi, i have recently bought a Nvidia Shield and attached an hard disk 5TB to it with my plex library. Point is i still want to access the hard disk that contains also some backups, but:1. if i try to access the internal storage \\my.ip.ad.res\internal everything's normal2. if...
  4. File Sharing Over a local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  5. Can access some drives on shared local network, but not others.

Can access some drives on shared local network, but not others.: I just joined following a google search on this topic but it seem that it is an expired thread but it is however the problem I have. I have three on a home network, a pc W7 pro a pc win 10 and a laptop win 8 I can see everything but can only access one HD on each and in no...
  6. Safest Way to Share Folders & Files oVer Local Network

Safest Way to Share Folders & Files oVer Local Network: I have 4 Win 10 PCs on my local network and want to be able to share folders & files over my local network allow full control to all users on the network, and all of the users are administrators. In looking into it I have several choices. I can choose Everyone,...
  7. Can access some drives on shared local network, but not others.

Can access some drives on shared local network, but not others.: I have shared several drives on my desktop pc using advanced sharing - sharing with "everyone" with "full permissions". When trying to access the drives using my laptop, I am able to access one of the drives, as well as the public folders, but the other two drives (the os "C"...
  8. Permission issues to access files shared over a network

Permission issues to access files shared over a network: From computer B, I don't have permission to access a path on computer A. However certain folders on computer A show up on computer B and are accessible. On computer A the folder has been set to share. Kaspersky on computer A has been temporarily disabled. Why are some...
  9. sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error

sharing files over local network some subfolders gives access error: I have two windows 10, one desktop and one laptop. Both are connecting to the same network. Both workgroup name are the same WORKGROUP (which is the default) The desktop (main computer sharing files), has two users One admin user which have full access One standard...
  10. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...