Windows 10: Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

Discus and support Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HelloLooking to use an External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Pixelme, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Pixelme Win User

Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

HelloLooking to use an External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that files, on an External Hard Drive formatted to NTFS, can be 'read to' and 'edited' by a MacBook, but not 'written' back to the same External Drive once edited on the MacBook. Therefore, on my Windows 10 PC, I formatted my External Hard Drive to 'exFat', However - after doing that - when while still using the same Windows PC, I proceeded to add the files' I wanted to share bet

:)

Pixelme, Oct 20, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 20, 2021
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Regarding copying of files in external drive from pc

Hi,

The message that appeared on your screen may have occurred due to the possible missing files if you'll try to copy it that way. We suggest that you follow these steps on how you can copy the file together with it's properties:

• Right click on the application (Bully) and click Properties.
    • On the application properties window, under the Shortcut tab, click
      Open File Location.
    • The File Location window will open.
    • Select everything. Copy and paste it to the external drive.
    • The copying process may take a while depending on the type of files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Oct 20, 2021
  4. Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Oct 20, 2021
Thema:

Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

1. Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook - Similar Threads - Sharing Files via

2. Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use an External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that files, on an External Hard Drive formatted to NTFS, can be 'read...
  3. Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use an External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that files, on an External Hard Drive formatted to NTFS, can be 'read...
  4. External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use a single External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that an External Hard Drive formatted to NTFS can be 'read' to...
  5. External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use a single External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that an External Hard Drive formatted with NTFS can be 'read' to...
  6. External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive Formatting Questions Sharing Files - via External Drive - between PC & MacBook: HelloLooking to use a single External Hard Drive just under 1TB to share - i.e. to 'read' & 'write' - various 'File Types' such as Word, Excel, PDF, .ems, Notability etc between a Windows PC AND a MacBook.Seems that an External Hard Drive formatted with NTFS can be 'read' to...
  7. sharing file between computer

sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  8. sharing file between computer

in Windows 10 Support
    sharing file between computer: I have 2 OEM installs computers (Win 10 Professional wit all the updates) and and I am unable to share a file from one computer to the other one. What am I doing wrong , your suggestions please. 175636
  9. sharing files between W7 & W10 pc's

in Windows 10 Customization
    sharing files between W7 & W10 pc's: I have literally spent a full week trying to get my W7 & W10 pc's sharing. I have read thru dozens of online articles, none of which are helpful. I don't want to share individual files & folders... I want to share everything between these two pc's as I transition from W7 to...
  10. sharing files between computers.

sharing files between computers.: Let me be clear. I have a windows 7 computer and a windows 10 computer, I'm having a hideous time trying to share files between the computers, (I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN ONLINE FILE SHARING SYSTEM TO SHARE THE FILES.) I.E. Onedrive. both computers are on the same network...